Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Paul977

GZDoom solo-net

You can now do it directly in the console by issuing "map map01 coop" or "map map01 dm" depending on the netmode you wish to play.

Rachael said:

You can now do it directly in the console by issuing "map map01 coop" or "map map01 dm" depending on the netmode you wish to play.

For now u mean the latest version of GZDoom ? Because I have the 2.1.1 and it didn't work

thanks @scifista

The latest official version of GZDoom is 2.3.2, and as I've just checked, the console command works in it.

Don't know why people are so averse to updating GZDoom. :P Yes, you have to upgrade to at least 2.3.0 in order to use the console command. I'd suggest getting 2.3.2, or even better, 2.4.0 when it comes out soon. :)

"why are people reluctant to put in extra effort for a benefit they aren't aware of"

Hm. Truly a riddle for the ages.

Let's double down and insist it's the people who are wrong and stupid, rather than change anything in our ways.

I'm pretty sure dressing up like a ninja, breaking into peoples' houses, and forcibly updating their GZDoom version is not exactly legal, nor very much worth the effort.

And an auto-updater lacks the hand-picked nature of judging if someone wants the version for archival purposes or not.

An autoupdater could have checkbox options. I think an autoupdater would be a very welcome inclusion in source ports. I know I would embrace it without hesitation.

Spoiler

A new version of GZDoom is available! Would you like to download it?

[Download Update] [Download Later] [Ignore This Version]

[ ] Backup old version (stored in a new subfolder)
[ ] Always Auto-update without asking
[ ] Never check for updates on launch
[ ] Check latest development build

I'm not sure most source port maintainers want to reimplement their own autoupdater. That's what their downstream distribution packagers are for. :)

(On that note thanks to Fabian for packaging PrBoom+ along with a bunch of other Doom stuff in Debian.)

Rachael said:

Don't know why people are so averse to updating GZDoom. :P :)

In my case is because with the latest version (2.3.2) I experienced fps drop, issue that doesn't show with the old version I'm using.

Returning on topic I have another question: when I die in solo-net I restart the level with the monsters I've killed, dead. Is there a way to restart the level with all the monsters alive like in single player ?

Paul977 said:

Returning on topic I have another question: when I die in solo-net I restart the level with the monsters I've killed, dead. Is there a way to restart the level with all the monsters alive like in single player ?

That would break the very concept of solo-net, which is playing the netgame by yourself. Restart the map via console or by exiting the game? Set it up as survival?

Rachael said:

Don't know why people are so averse to updating GZDoom. :P Yes, you have to upgrade to at least 2.3.0 in order to use the console command. I'd suggest getting 2.3.2, or even better, 2.4.0 when it comes out soon. :)

I'm not running the latest version simply because I didn't know there was one!

Different source ports seem to have such wildly different release schedules: some take years between updates, others stay dead for months and then suddenly spring to life with a flurry of updates.

Without a single easy place to see if a source port has been updated, your only option is to periodically swing by the various websites and see if anything has changed. Frankly that's a lot of effort if you just find nothing has, especially if the older versions of the source ports work just fine. I'll go get 2.3.2 now as I know it exists, but prior to seeing you write that here I had no idea. I don't mean that in an accusatory way, I'm just recounting the realities of keeping on top of releases.

I for one would definitely utilize an auto-updater, or even just something that told me if I had the latest version and a "go here to download" link if I didn't.