Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

Different parameters can be combined with any other parameters in any order, but their values must immediately follow the parameter names. For example, the -file parameter should immediately be followed by the file name or names of the PWAD or PWADs you're going to play, and the -save parameter should immediately be followed by a path to a savegame directory. See the PrBoom-plus parameter reference here. So, in your case, this could work:

prboom-plus -file freudslp.wad -save "C:/some/path"
Or equivalently this:
prboom-plus -save "C:/some/path" -file freudslp.wad
But NOT this:
prboom-plus -file -save "C:/some/path" freudslp.wad

MAP19 of Sunlust crashes on PRboom+ in the red key area on numerous occasions.
With the message :: I_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: signal 11

I found by accident that the eyeswitch texture (SW1SKIN to be exact), when used as a door do not animate in prboom 2.5.1.4. Might as well add it here.

joe-ilya said:

MAP19 of Sunlust crashes on PRboom+ in the red key area on numerous occasions.
With the message :: I_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: signal 11

Hm, I cannot reproduce this. Which version of PrBoom+ are you using. And would you mind posting a screenshot, savegame or (even better) demo to help locate the crash?

My bad : I used a christmas mod, forgot about it and loaded the save without it, now that I load my game with the mod, it doesn't crash.

joe-ilya said:

My bad : I used a christmas mod, forgot about it and loaded the save without it, now that I load my game with the mod, it doesn't crash.

Good to know. That "christmas mod" doesn't happen to use a sky texture in PNG format, does it?

Regarding this question:

joe-ilya said:

Can I take the screenshots in any other format but BMP?

Screenshots in PNG format are supported if libpng is available at build time. At least for the SDL1 build, the SDL2 build uses SDL_Image if I am not mistaken...

In glboom, I have texture filtering set to point, yet it's noticeably linear.
Although it actually makes a difference in software.
Help? (are there any GL-specific settings anywhere?)

Is it possible to reduce sound lag in PrBoom+? Although it's not so much, I can hear the difference of several ms when switching between this and other source ports.

Also, can I manually set up refresh rate for this port? It automatically sets up to highest possible Hz and bothers me a bit that CRT monitor switches too long to 640x480 85Hz.

Ok, so me and shockblast can confirm that there seems to be no version of PrBoom or PrBoom-Plus where the sound works under Mac OS X Sierra. Who's the Mac developer? I hope he can figure this issue out.

Hi, found a bug with friction. It looks like it's not preserved after save/loads. Is this a known thing?

This is on latest prb 2.5.1.5 on os X, though I got danne to verify it happens on prb 2.5.1.4 windows as well. This is in contrast with Zdoom, where it behaved as expected (friction preserved between saves).

EDIT: I found the following posts back a few many pages, but I really don't think I'm loading a game with a different complevel...

entryway said:
Marcaek said:

If you load a saved game on a map with friction effects apparently they fail? Map05 of 32in24-14 demonstrates this in PRB+ 2.5.1.3

No, it shouldn't. Probably you try to load savegame which was saved with complevel 2?

Hi! A followup to the above post. The friction bug is fixed if you hardcode "force_prboom_friction" in e6y.c:

From what I gather, the original boom had a cpu-intensive routine of adding a thinker to every sector that kept track of things in it and applied movement scalars accordingly. Looks like Lee Killough changed this somewhere along the line to be a property of a sector (sector->friction, sector->movefraction) instead of a thinker associated with the sector, at the cost of possibly desyncing existing boom demos. Some later e6y comments say "restored original boom friction", but that routine is skipped unless the aforementioned flag is set. It doesn't look like the flag lives in a config file anywhere, but is just hard-coded in the source.

If simply setting this constant to 1 instead of 0 doesn't have any horrendous side effects (demo syncing, overall performance) then that seems like an easy fix.

Alternatively, if the Lee's sector property method is retained by default, I'm guessing these sector properties could be added to p_saveg.c::P_ArchiveWorld() and p_saveg.c::P_UnArchiveWorld(). That looks a little above my pay grade, but I'm in deep enough at this point that I'll play around with it.

Ribbiks said:

Hi! A followup to the above post. The friction bug is fixed if you hardcode "force_prboom_friction" in e6y.c:

http://i.imgur.com/bZKaQpAl.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqSuPh43s-o

From what I gather, the original boom had a cpu-intensive routine of adding a thinker to every sector that kept track of things in it and applied movement scalars accordingly. Looks like Lee Killough changed this somewhere along the line to be a property of a sector (sector->friction, sector->movefraction) instead of a thinker associated with the sector, at the cost of possibly desyncing existing boom demos. Some later e6y comments say "restored original boom friction", but that routine is skipped unless the aforementioned flag is set. It doesn't look like the flag lives in a config file anywhere, but is just hard-coded in the source.

If simply setting this constant to 1 instead of 0 doesn't have any horrendous side effects (demo syncing, overall performance) then that seems like an easy fix.

Alternatively, if the Lee's sector property method is retained by default, I'm guessing these sector properties could be added to p_saveg.c::P_ArchiveWorld() and p_saveg.c::P_UnArchiveWorld(). That looks a little above my pay grade, but I'm in deep enough at this point that I'll play around with it.

Yeah, the Boom friction stuff is back in PrBoom+ for the sole purpose of letting Boom demos stay in sync. I don't think you want to use Boom friction in a general sense, because of the performance hit, which can be significant.

Saving the sector friction values in the save game is a good approach - sector height is saved after all, so it'd be easy to copy, paste, and modify the sector-height save/load code to also save the friction. But, if you do, you now have a new savegame format to deal with. You'd need to bump the savegame version number, detect which version you're loading, and provide a default method to handle friction in the older savegame format. So, it's do-able, but a little bit more involved than a first glance might suggest.

I guess you could also scan the linedefs, and recalc sector friction on a loadgame, but that's probably tricky too.

What's wrong with the map 11 MIDI in NGmvmt1.wad? It doesn't play correctly, I hear some loud noise in both SDL1 (2.5.1.4 release) and SDL2 (r4505) prboom-plus.

38_ViTa_38 said:

What's wrong with the map 11 MIDI in NGmvmt1.wad? It doesn't play correctly, I hear some loud noise in both SDL1 (2.5.1.4 release) and SDL2 (r4505) prboom-plus.

False positive in dumb_read_mod_quick. Fixed.

Does clearing key bindings work as intended? I press DEL to clear key_up ("NONE"), then shut down prboom-plus (key_up is 0xffffffff in the config), then launch it again, but key_up becomes 'w' (0x77).

Edit (didn't want to doublepost): I've made a patch that addresses two problems.

fabian said:

Good to know. That "christmas mod" doesn't happen to use a sky texture in PNG format, does it?

No, it wouldn't run so from the get go.

38_ViTa_38 said:

I press DEL to clear key_up ("NONE"), then shut down prboom-plus (key_up is 0xffffffff in the config), then launch it again, but key_up becomes 'w' (0x77).

But even after that, key_up is still 0xffffffff in the config file, right?

prboom-plus crashes on Windows (or Wine) in Sunder map 11 if it was compiled with mingw or mingw-w64 (both 32-bit and 64-bit) because of "(*(const int *)data" in P_CheckForZDoomNodes (src/p_setup.c).

38_ViTa_38 said:

prboom-plus crashes on Windows (or Wine) in Sunder map 11 if it was compiled with mingw or mingw-w64 (both 32-bit and 64-bit) because of "(*(const int *)data" in P_CheckForZDoomNodes (src/p_setup.c).

Thanks - does it work if you use memcmp? e.g. http://sprunge.us/AXVE?diff

EDIT: looks like it crashes because SSECTORS in sunder.wad MAP11 is 0 bytes long!

Spoiler

Hmmm, it crashes with memcmp too.

winedbg (32-bit exe):

Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0xf74908b0).
Register dump:
 CS:0023 SS:002b DS:002b ES:002b FS:006b GS:0063
 EIP:f74908b0 ESP:0116f908 EBP:0116f928 EFLAGS:00010297(  R- --  I S -A-P-C)
 EAX:00000000 EBX:7f8efe18 ECX:00000004 EDX:005a2857
 ESI:00000001 EDI:0116f9ab
Stack dump:
0x0116f908:  7f8efe18 7f8ad9fa 00000000 005a2857
0x0116f918:  00000004 7f8ad9e4 0116f93c 0000000b
0x0116f928:  0116f9a2 004230b2 00000001 0116f9ab
0x0116f938:  004230b2 00000000 005a2857 00000004
0x0116f948:  0116f978 7f8ade26 00000001 00000001
0x0116f958:  0116f988 7f8ade26 00000001 00000000
Backtrace:
=>0 0xf74908b0 (0x0116f928)
  1 0x004230b2 in prboom-plus (+0x230b1) (0x0116f9a2)
0xf74908b0: movb	0x0(%eax),%bl

Oh it seems you reached the same conclusion I had, while I was still editing my post and fiddling with patches. Original below. I wrote this before I saw your edit.

----

Thank you again. I'm no asm expert but that line "page fault on read access to 0x00000000" suggests a null pointer dereference. Of course Sunder map11's SSECTORS lump is empty because it doesn't have ZDoom GL nodes. Now I believe the problem is there's no length check before trying to read data that isn't there.

May I ask you to add a length check before memcmp, and try again? e.g. http://sprunge.us/LcEF?diff

38_ViTa_38 said:

Does clearing key bindings work as intended? I press DEL to clear key_up ("NONE"), then shut down prboom-plus (key_up is 0xffffffff in the config), then launch it again, but key_up becomes 'w' (0x77).

This is now fixed in SVN.

Is it possible the change the link to the source code here to svn.prboom.org? The current link tells me this (in both firefox-esr and svn):

crowproductions.de uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for the following names: lila.lirrebit.de, lirrebit.de, lirrebit.de Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

Also, you don't need to install deutex to make prboom-plus.wad, but INSTALL tells that you do.

Is it possible to use a wide status bar hud in prboom+? I really don't like those gosh darn empty corners and I'm not a fan of stretching the hud either. :(