Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Vinesauce Mapping Contest

The winners were all good choices, I've no arguments that they deserve the win!

Now that the results have been released, I will post my map for others to download and (hopefully) enjoy. I hope to do that this evening at some point. :) I'll post a link here when it's up!

@Vargskelethor, thanks for hosting what must have been quite a tedious competition to host!

I do hope you're willing to do a second one like you said in the competition closing post. As others have done, some suggestions:
- Shorter maps
- One map per wad
- One engine only
- Stricter 'pre-filtering' by those who played the wads before you did. There's a lot of my-first-map and meme-centric maps that were posted and while they've been fun here and there, most of them were unpleasant to sit through on your streams.

Lastly, I'd be interested to know if there's any runner-ups / honorable mentions? I feel many of them were very fun such as A Boy & His Barrel, and PizzaQuest.

Vargskelethor said:

Thank you for your patience, here's the winners. Picking a #1 favorite wasn't easy, seriously.

Oooh, interesting #1 pick. I haven't played that one yet, but it seemed very well paced even with your "headless chicken that saved itself into 1% health in a chaingunner crossfire" style. I was not-so-secretly rooting for Xaser, but having something a bit more classic winning over the cool feature juggernauts is a cheeky nod. Good stuff!

If there's one thing that you could improve about the competition...

Spoiler

holy crap, get better screenshots of the winning maps, they're artifacted to hell and back, and the winning shot is Doomguy complaining about too many stairs.

Spocks_Beard said:

Maybe next time the maps makers should wait to release their maps till the contest is over?

I took way too long to get through these, I can understand a desire to release it before its all over, so its up to the creator really.

Vargskelethor said:

Thank you for your patience, here's the winners. Picking a #1 favorite wasn't easy, seriously.

Thanks for the contest, very fun. Good winner picks! Congrats guys.

Joel, you missed an important secret in my map though!

http://i.imgur.com/aV8mVQZ.png

Vargskelethor said:

I took way too long to get through these, I can understand a desire to release it before its all over, so its up to the creator really.

I have quite a lot of exhaustive (literally) experience in playing/playtesting mapsets on a short notice and to be honest, if someone gave me 150 maps to grind through, with names like "Mechadon" and "Xaser" in the list, I'd cry like a little girl and quit the community. It's too much for one person and it's quite admirable you pushed through what was obviously a thing that crumbled under its own weight, heh.

If you organize a season 2, you absolutely must limit the content length, otherwise you'll be drowning in Doom maps for years. Cause I think the contest is only going to grow more popular! You'll get even more submissions from DW regulars who can crank out frighteningly big maps in a short amount of time!

Congrats to the winners! I think all three were more than deserving :D

I'll be looking forward to the next competition Joel :)

well, it was a fun ride, joel. good maps, bad maps, mediocre maps - they were all there. but it really was great watching you play them, i'm sure everyone here at doomworld can't wait until the next contest :)

also, congrats rayzik for getting 1st place!

Well, damn! 'Tis flattering that my crazy pile o' linedefs managed so snag a seat at the winner's table. Congrats to Rayziik and StormCatcher too. :D

Knowing myself, I'll probably crank out another thing if there's a sequel competition. Hopefully something a bit less brain-breaking though -- that was a hella stressful two weeks. :P

Thanks again, Jobel, for the contest. I had a blast watching, and I hope to enter when and if you host another. As usual, I want to get off Mr. Bone's Wild Ride.