Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Seidolon

Plain ol' Doom 2 Community Mapping Project

Hello all! I have been looking for some community mapping projects lately that are Doom 2 themed and I haven't been able to find any, so I'm starting my own. You can submit a map to this thread and, upon play testing it, I'll decide if it would fit in with the project. You can take any music track out of Doom 1, Doom 2, or Final Doom. The map itself should like like something that would be found in Doom 2. I have finished three maps as of now and have a few more in progress. You can download two of the finished maps below. Also check out the screenshots for those three maps. The level organization will be similar to Doom 2, with Earth themed levels for the first 20 maps, and then hellish themed ones later. I'm not entirely sure on where the story will take place, but we can discuss that and come to a conclusion. As for as a name for the project, we can discuss that as well. Maps are to be LIMIT REMOVING, not vanilla compatible. Just remember to keep them looking like something id software would make in 1994.

Map Submission Guidelines:
- Must Be in Doom: Doom 2 (Doom Format)
- Uses Doom 2 as an IWad
- No extra textures
- Deathmatch and Coop friendly*
- Varied difficulty settings*

*If these guidelines are not met upon submission, I can modify the level myself to make it work.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Security Outpost:
va7E2mf.png
1W7HSEg.png

Training Grounds:
JyPVGSq.png
PGl4vO9.png
gcIcnSe.png

Red Fortress:
b1xwOWz.png
clNKfDk.png
QKc6DlY.png
SRk4IIF.png

Download - SECURITY OUTPOST.wad

Download - TRAINING GROUNDS.wad

Map Slots:

MAP01 - TRAINING GROUNDS (Seidolon) FINISHED
MAP02 - Claimed (dachauncinator)
MAP03 - SECURITY OUTPOST (Seidolon) FINISHED
MAP04 - Claimed (Breezeep)
MAP05 - Claimed (joe-ilya)
MAP06 - COMMAND STATION (LedIris) FINISHED
MAP07 - YELLOW FEVER (Quantum_Dranger and meatman12) FINISHED
MAP08 - Claimed (NecrumWarrior)
MAP09 - Claimed (DrPyspy)
MAP10 - Claimed (Doomkid)
MAP11 - CYSTEM (Count651) FINISHED
MAP12 - Claimed (muumi)
MAP13 - LAMIA CAVES (unRyker) FINISHED
MAP14 - PETERSEN PLAZA (Count651) FINISHED
MAP15 - Claimed (SArais)
MAP16 - Claimed (NoahMLG)
MAP17 - DEMANUFACTURE (AD_79) FINISHED
MAP18 - THE SIXTH SEAL (leodoom85, Walter Confalonieri, and AnonimVio) FINISHED

MAP19 - Claimed (7Soul)
MAP20 - Claimed (Bauul)
MAP21 - THEATER FOR A SLAUGHTER (walter confalonieri and 40oz) FINISHED
MAP22 - LINKS (AnonimVio) FINISHED
MAP23 - Claimed (pcorf)
MAP24 - THE RIFT (floatRand) FINISHED
MAP25 - Claimed (RexS)
MAP26 - RED FORTRESS (Seidolon) FINISHED
MAP27 - Claimed (Surreily)
MAP28 - BOILING POINT (AD_79) FINISHED
MAP29 - Claimed (Seidolon)
MAP30 - In progress (Seidolon, SArais)

SECRET MAP31 - RETURN TO DEIMOS (meatman12) FINISHED
SECRET MAP32 - Claimed (TheMionicDonut)

Maps Completed: 15 / 32

View the thread at the Zdoom Forums.

Edited by Seidolon

Hmm awesome..well..I really shouldn't...I'll keep an eye on this. Thank you.

A plain old Doom 2 megawad project. Don't see that everyday. I'll keep an eye on this.

Seidolon said:

Vanilla compatibility.

Go for limit removing. Less restrictions, more mappers.

your content looks pretty good from the screenshots!

Voros said:

Go for limit removing. Less restrictions, more mappers.

but he's looking for more vanilla styled maps, not anything using zdoom features afaik

roadworx said:

but he's looking for more vanilla styled maps, not anything using zdoom features afaik

Yeah. Just no slopes, 3d floors, acs, or other advanced stuff. If you are using GZDoom Builder, choose Doom: Doom 2 (Doom Format) as your game configuration.

roadworx said:

You do know what limit-removing means, right? If seilodon wants full vanilla compatibility, he would have to take into account of the visplane limit, seg limit, sprites onscreen limit, savegame buffer limit (optional I guess), and so on. Limit removing is mapping in vanilla format, but you don't have worry about those limits at all. Basically go nuts using only the vanilla map format.

What you talk about is another map format entirely.

Voros said:

You do know what limit-removing means, right? If seilodon wants full vanilla compatibility, he would have to take into account of the visplane limit, seg limit, sprites onscreen limit, savegame buffer limit (optional I guess), and so on. Limit removing is mapping in vanilla format, but you don't have worry about those static limits.

The maps will be constructed with vanilla features, but are intended for use with limit-removing ports.

So you're aiming for limit-removing. Great. Put that piece of vital information in the OP. Vanilla compatible and limit removing are not the same thing.

BTW you can have maps which have slopes in ZDoom and steps in other ports, since those ports will just ignore the slope line special. Freedoom MAP07 is a good example of this.

AnonimVio said:

Finally, no gimmick, no new textures, pure Doom 2 action.
I'll try to do something for this.

If a community project offers you a new texture pack, you don't have to use it, you know?

walter confalonieri said:

Looks cool, maybe i'll do a map for this...
Also, there's no deadline?

Nope, no deadline. Just until there's no more slots left.

Maybe rename this community project to "Good Ol' Doom (2)"? The current title doesn't sound positive.

Is there any theme to follow? I'd like to claim MAP05.

joe-ilya said:

Maybe rename this community project to "Good Ol' Doom (2)"? The current title doesn't sound positive.

Is there any theme to follow? I'd like to claim MAP05.

The name is just placeholder right now, so we can think of a better one eventually. If you would like to claim MAP05, make your map have an earth-like military base feel, with a touch of hi-tech. The map themes are going to be similar to the ones from Doom 2, so your map should be themed similar to the corresponding map from that game.

joe-ilya said:

Or, how about:

Dead Simple?
House of Plain?

*cough* I know where the exits are located. I'll see myself out. :P

...or how about letting the project leader decide what their project is called. :I

Any particular map size you're going for, standards of detail and the like?

My last map was a pure Doom 2 creation. There's something quite refreshing about just using the pure IWAD and aiming for nothing but limit-removing.

I don't think I'll be able to contribute (I'm working on maps for two other projects right now) but I'd love to play the final result!

Edit: But I have always wanted to make a Downtown/Industrial Zone style open-plan map. Ack! The temptations!

Seidolon, before you start asking for volunteers for your new mega-cool-and-whatnot community megawad project, make sure you have something to show first (previous WADs, experience with project management, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of awesome community megawad project ideas that fell apart at the seams.

well someone had to, don't look at me like that!

I might contribute myself... one day. Maybe in a few months. (years?? I hope not.)

Okay, well I've got the demo wads available for download in the OP. If you wanna check those out you can. I also made a few other things like Doom Ultimate Laser Arena with my friend, Doom: Fireworks Mod, and I also made a fork of Brutal Hexen. I've got quite a bit of experience making projects, though I haven't led a community project before. The reason I wanted to do this is because I had some cool maps that I wanted to put into a community megawad, but there weren't any that they would fit into, so I started my own.

FuzzballFox said:

Any particular map size you're going for, standards of detail and the like?

Not in particular. Just keep it simple and keep it looking doom2-ish.

bzzrak said:

Seidolon, before you start asking for volunteers for your new mega-cool-and-whatnot community megawad project, make sure you have something to show first (previous WADs, experience with project management, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of awesome community megawad project ideas that fell apart at the seams.

well someone had to, don't look at me like that!

I might contribute myself... one day. Maybe in a few months. (years?? I hope not.)

bzzrak, before you start trying to act mega-cool-and-whatnot by using the newproject tag, make sure you check that the person doesn't have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of uses of the newproject tag that only succeeded in making the person using it look like a complete moron, because they did have something to show.

I changed my mind about the music. Only use the tracks from Doom 1, Doom 2, or Final Doom. I'm not gonna use my midis for this project.

Put me down for map 04. Already half done with the layout.
Really liking the concept, saw a similar project a couple years that never really came to fruition, so I'm really hoping this gets some steam going. I'll be posting some map updates, if anything just to bump the thread and keep interest going. Also, are we doing any custom graphics (title card, intermission, etc)? Maybe even the standard title with a cursive "Plain Ol'" next to it. Just a little something to make it feel a little special I guess.