Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Count651

Distorted Memories - An episode for The Ultimate Doom

Hey everyone, here's a wad I made over the course of 3 or so weeks. The general idea is to loosely recreate each episode of Doom but summed up with 2 maps per episode. Each map tries to emulate the mapping styles of the original doom. Also features a secret level, which is more of its own thing, as well as a deathmatch map (e2m1). For the best experience I recommend playing with just the keyboard. Mapped for vanilla and tested in zdoom.

Images - http://imgur.com/a/SELJ1

Download

-full coop support

-9 maps, 1 deathmatch map

-mapped for vanilla

-tested in zDoom

Edited by Count651

Definitely adding this to my stream at some point, from the screenshots it looks beautifully oldschool. I love little homage packs like this.

i just played through the first 3 maps, and i have to say, you really did a great job of recreating the feeling of the original episodes! while i did feel that there were a bit too many monsters for it to feel genuine (that's, of course, my opinion, take it how you wish), the texturing and detailing is spot-on! not only that, but it also plays like the original episodes, too. i've really enjoyed it so far, and i can't wait to play through the rest of it.

Awesome, glad you liked it. And yeh there are a bit many enemies in some maps but I feel it helps to keep the wad challenging by modern standards.

Forgot to mention that once you get to e1m7 its best to pistol start to get the most out of the TFC style difficulty.

Is it hard enough that I should go with HMP instead of UV? Cause I usually play modern projects in HMP. Recommendation?

Count651 said:

-mapped for vanilla

-tested in zDoom

This is a big no no when it comes to testing for an intended port. When you map for vanilla you test with Chocolate Doom.

VGA said:

Is it hard enough that I should go with HMP instead of UV? Cause I usually play modern projects in HMP. Recommendation?

UV is fine, the first 6 maps shouldn't be anything too hard. The tfc maps should be pretty tough though ( hopefully )

So, I've played the first three levels yesterday, here's some FDA's: http://www.mediafire.com/file/wd4460qld61qd8t/distorted.rar

(recorded on prboom)

Don't mind my first death on map 01, my cat was annoying me and I got distracted in the beggining lol Also, on map 03 I was a bit sleepy (not the map's fault, I was just tired) so I made some stupid mistakes.

Anyway, the levels were quite fun! I didn't really got the vanilla vibe, though I don't see this as a bad thing. It looked like vanilla, but with some added rawness, some more abstract corridors and rooms with irregular shapes. I really liked, though there was some unalignments that could've been fixed. No big deal though!

For gameplay, ammo was plenty. I think could've been a bit tighter, I've finished the first level with 50 shells haha There was a lot of switches (first level) which I took a while to discover what it did, which it was cool because it enhanced the exploration factor, allied with some non-linearity (if wasn't, it gave me a good illusion at least haha). Monster placement was okay, some rooms had a lot of monsters, which reinforced a different style from vanilla, but I liked it. I wasn't really a fan of the baron's on third level, though. I wish I've found a RL or a plasma (since I got rockets and cells), so fighting them didn't felt too boring. (I ended ignoring them, but you've placed some clever monsters on the exit of 3 and then I messed up things lol)

I only recorded an FDA for the first map, then quit recording so I could have some fun :P I'll upload that FDA later. But overall, I like where this is going, judging from the first three map. The name really fits the layout of the maps, as it really feels like I'm reliving distorted memories of Doom once again. In fact, the levels really confused me because of the distortion. The retro design is also neat, feels like made in the '90s or somewhat (I wouldn't know as I was not born in '90s). I'm sure some of the old veterans of Doom will get a dose of nostalgia playing this.

If there was a Best Oldschool Cacoward, I might have nominated this.

Notes: I skipped the second level because I got lost, and the sudden difficulty spike in the third level was unexpected, with the baron and cacos.

I've been kinda side-eyeing this because it's had a wee bit more attention than my own episode, you fucker. But you know what, it has with good reason because it's actually fantastic. <3

Played through on HMP (because I'm a sit-back-with-a-controller-and-DOOM-on-the-TV dude these days) and it was a bloody good experience.

Have to say, didn't feel "distorted memories" so much outside E1M4 and E2M6 -- the latter of which, damn fine Mt. Erebus tribute, I gotta say.

Favourite parts: E1M5 onwards. All of that's gold, even if E1M8 killed me hard on many occasions. But it's a grand send-off to a pretty darned fine episode.

Least-favourite parts: E1M1, but that's not saying it's bad because it isn't. It starts strong enough, and gets better from there.

Awesome, glad you liked it. And yeah, I agree some of the later maps were less " Distorted Memories " and more remakes. Also E1M1 was the first map I made for the project and I do agree that it is the weakest link of the wad. Also, I'll be sure to check out your wad soon. Been eyeing it myself, I'll stop by your thread and give you my thoughts after I've played it.

Count651 said:

Awesome, glad you liked it. And yeah, I agree some of the later maps were less " Distorted Memories " and more remakes.

I would disagree there. E1M7 was awesome; short, but intense -- I loved the teleporter fake-out exit! E1M8 seems inspired by both of Romero's E4 maps more than anything (M2 and M6) but still brought something fresh to the table.

I'd say the only vaguely remake-y ones were (obviously) E1M4, E1M5's Unholy Cathedral callbacks and (as mentioned) E1M6 -- both of the latter I loved and, again, brought enough new experiences to stand out as not just remakes. :)

It was very fun to play this on Dosbox , I will wait for an another episode. :)