Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Battle_Korbi

Levels of detail, how much?

Preferable level of detail in maps  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Preferable level of detail in maps

• Lemme have the newest CoD, please.
    • Ehh, it is the 2017s, some extra detail could be nice.
    • I couldn't care less, to be honest.
    • I like my Doom like my Wolfenstein 3D. Anything too detailed is disgusting.

How much detail you want to see in Doom maps?

Asking because I have just spent nearly more than half a hour building a 1:1 scale of my high school's bathroom and every element had to be diffrent than the other and be super detailed. And I am wondering, would people even appreciate such work?

Edit: A new entire line added. Plus this one.

No option than "keep it under VPO/within vanilla limits but under that anything goes"? Shame. </vanillahipster> :P

Detail's a caveat of mine. I actually don't mind large amounts of it, but it's gotta be good and chunky. When we start adding in little 1-length lines to make a wire out of DOORTRAK textures, or dozens of tiny sectors to make some barely-recognisable thing on a table, I start getting a bit icky. It's very rarely well done (and one I can think off OTOH is the pipe at the beginning of Ancient Aliens) so keep it chunky, thanks.

Although detail is nice, I find gameplay to be just as important. I'll rephrase.

I find a good balance of detail and gameplay to be essential. If a map has too much detail, but not much gameplay (and vice versa), then it's not worth my time.

Over time I realised detail is only a part of the whole package, making a map is relatively easy. But to let gameplay, a good layout and the level of detail you're putting in co-exist with one another without either one of them comprimising one of the other aspects is challenging. For me personally finding a good balance between all of them is what I find the most difficult thing to accomplish.

Battle_Kirby said:

And I am wondering, would people even appreciate such work?

People appreciate gameplay. Few people want to fight demons in a bathroom. If your going for some realism or art piece there are far more suitable engines.

Dutch Doomer said:

Over time I realised detail is only a part of the whole package, making a map is relatively easy. But to let gameplay, a good layout and the level of detail you're putting in co-exist with one another without either one of them comprimising one of the other aspects is challenging. For me personally finding a good balance between all of them is what I find the most difficult thing to accomplish.

yeah...I've noticed that too. i can make a map and its layout fairly easy (ish), but the detailing is what i get stuck on. i just think that it looks so damn ugly without any detail - but the thing is, i'm terrible at implementing that. so, i just abandon the entire project without second thought, because in my eyes, the map is terrible.

Battle_Kirby said:

How much detail you want to see in Doom maps?

Asking because I have just spent nearly more than half a hour building a 1:1 scale of my high school's bathroom

I think the question is how much bathroom do you want to see in doom maps.

For those wondering about the bathroom thingy, im kinda recreating my first doom map which was accidentally my high school's second floor (gee I wonder why my first map choice was that), and since I have learned a lot since the first map, I tried to use all my skillz to make a super sick recreation.

And the bathroom took me the longest. So many goddamn curves, and every damn surface needs a texture. Plus creepy strobe lights and so.

Moar Impse.

Anyway, I'd appreciate the detail. Its funny how many British Youtubers stop to pay attention to the floor and wall textures then wonder how many people will actually bother to stop and notice. The answer is a bloody lot.

People will notice your hard work if you go the extra mile to make interactions. people love turning on sinks, flushing toilets, shooting down stall doors.

Maybe some more than in Wolfenstein 3D. But I'm fine with straight lines and 90 degree corners. Sector toilets, chairs, tables and other furniture/stuff are fun too.

The level of detail doesn't really matter to me. As long as it plays good I'd enjoy the map even if it used the most basic of textures. But I definitely appreciate maps that add high levels of intricate detail.

I just want to make a semi-detailed map without having block tables and block chairs.

Why isn't there an option for "the iwads got it right"? Wolf3D is boring as hell compared to the iwads which I personally have always seen as the benchmark.

EDIT: Also this belongs in Doom General, not EE

As said, a balance between Gameplay and Detail is probably best, but at the same time, trying to push the Doom engine far enough for such a recreation is rather interesting and could prove to be a neat experiment.

Oh hey you have a 256-long wall there let's stick a computer terminal in there!
Oh hey you have a flat with a light on it let's make that light a separate sector and lower it by 4 units!
Oh hey you have some grass there let's split it into several sectors with different RROCK*** textures!
Oh hey you have a room you don't know what to stick into so why not your name?
Oh hey you have a wall texture with a switch on it let's inset the switch part into the wall by 8 units!
Oh hey you have a teleporter there let's add some super huge techno stuff around it to make it seem like it's some T0P $ECRET badass government project!
Oh hey you have a floor/wall with a pattern let's inset some TEKWALL or rocks or something a few units into it so that it looks like the wall is destroyed!
Oh hey you have a ceiling so let's split it into an outer and inner part and raise the outer part by 64 units and make it a window with f_sky1!
Oh hey you have 2 different wall textures so let's separate them with 64 units of SUPPORT3 andSUPPORT2!
Oh hey you have a place where using an IWAD texture would require some very slight adjusting of that place but you don't care, torture your brain with adding a brand new!! texture from a badass texture pack to your PNAMES and TEXTUREx!
Oh hey you have a wall where a texture tiles vertically more than 2x let's make a 1-px wide 0-tall triangular sector behind it and apply different textures to the upper, lower and middle!

aka bzzrak's cacoward-winning guide, just like the one Tormentor667 wrote in 2009

Haha, great checklist 4 quality mapz

Edit: You forgot Oh hey you have a floor textured Floor4_8, let's make some hexagonal sectors lowered by 2 to make it appear like some floor tiles are missing/destroyed

bzzrak said:

Oh hey you have a room you don't know what to stick into so why not your name?

Shit, they're on to me!

Personally, I like maps with some rational details. After playing Freedoom again and again, loading up Doom made me see how bizarre the maps in Doom are like. It disoriented me for a bit :/

Uncle 80 said:

Edit: You forgot Oh hey you have a floor textured Floor4_8, let's make some hexagonal sectors lowered by 2 to make it appear like some floor tiles are missing/destroyed

bzzrak said:

Oh hey you have a floor/wall with a pattern let's inset some TEKWALL or rocks or something a few units into it so that it looks like the wall is destroyed!

I was close. :]

Despite how my "guide" looks very unserious (it is unserious), I actually do most of that stuff in my maps. Except for the teleporter one, most of my maps don't even have enough space for a teleporter bigger than 64x64.
These 2 sentences I just wrote made me realize how bad at mapping I really am, damn. :/

Eh. Detail's nice and all, but I don't really hold it to a high level of importance.