Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

@Bauul: Each of those things should have its own randomization.

@DMGUYDZ64: It should work. Note that only the "kill" cheat generates the "Suicide" damage type, though. Other ways how the player can get himself killed generate other damage types. This table might be easily misread as that death by barrels is also "Suicide", but the table is actually stating that death by barrels generates an unnamed damage type.

Deadwing said:

How do I make these death exits work in boom? Does it need to be with icon of sin like scythe?

It's the safest method. It's also possible to try to have a death slide over a level end walkover line, but that requires making sure the player's corpse will slide in the right direction and that's a lot more finicky.

Anything that causes the player to die, and then the level to be exited, works as a death exit. There are many implementations, each with its own quirks. The player may die for example by exploding barrels, damaging floor, telefragging his own voodoo doll, or a custom dehacked object that causes rapid damage. The level may get exited for example by calling a DEHACKED codepointer BrainDie (the Romero head thing uses it in its death state) or by a voodoo doll crossing a walkover exit activation line.

I see, I need the player to cross the line, because i need him to go to a secret level :/

Still it's not working on boom, only zdoom. For some reason, the w1 exit (goes to secret level) is not working.

Here's how I'm doing:

I press the exit switch, then the door in sector 19 opens. Sector with tag 20 has the "scroll move things" action line, so the doll will teleport into the sector with tag 18 exploding the barrels, and it should cross the green line on that sector which is the "w1 exit", but it doesn't happen in boom :/

Deadwing said:

but it doesn't happen in boom :/

What does and what doesn't happen, exactly? Does the door open? Does the doll teleport? Do the barrels explode? Does the doll die? Does the level get exited? Does the player pistol start the next level?

The doll teleports and the player dies, but the exit line doesn't get activated (I don't know if the dolls cross it or not, because if I use IDDQD, then the line activates and the level ends)

The doll might be unable to move due to being stuck in the barrels, which remain solid a short while after they explode. Either explode the barrels by crushers instead, or place the barrels far enough from the teleport destination that only a single pixel of the teleported doll will overlap them, so they will explode and instantly push the doll far enough from them in a single tic to no longer overlap them and therefore not being stuck.

What doesn't work exactly? The level doesn't end at all; or it ends but doesn't go to the secret level?

I've done some testing and I'm pretty sure the dead doll crosses the w1 line, but it doesn't get activated (the player remains dead and the intermission screen isn't called).

For some reason the line doesn't activate when the doll is dead.

Ok, I guess this is a configuration problem with my prboom. There an option "dead players can exit the level?" which was selected "no". When I change it to "yes", it worked as it should lol

But still, what is the default option for this? "No"? Because then players will get stuck in the level and won't exit as it should :/

Try 2 dolls, then. One to receive full damage and get killed, and one to receive only a tiny amount of damage and be pushed across the line while remaining alive.

For that matter, you should use multiple (at least 4) dolls for draining the player's health down to zero, as each doll has just 100 HP, while the player might have up to 200 HP and 200 armor. At least I think it works this way (in some ports at least), I might be wrong, though. EDIT: I don't know.

I've tested with the living doll and the line doesn't trigger even if the doll is alive and the player's dead. It only works if I set the flag "dead players can exit the level?" to yes.

I guess I'll have to keep the player alive then haha fuck boom >.<

If you're making Boom compatible maps, PrBoom-plus players should play them with -complevel 9 parameter, with which dead players can trigger walkover exits, I believe. You should playtest your maps with this parameter, too.

Good old complevels! I love source ports relying on utterly obscure and arbitrary magic numbers to work or not work properly!

scifista42 said:

@DMGUYDZ64: It should work.

That's what I thought, I wrote a script that rewards players points if they kill others, Death.Suicide isn't supposed execute that script because there's no line to execute it there, But even then using kill command executes it regardless, I'm missing something ?

Linguica said:

Good old complevels! I love source ports relying on utterly obscure and arbitrary magic numbers to work or not work properly!

The main problem with complevels is that they have names e.g. "finaldoom_compatibility", but you can't use those names as the parameter to the "-complevel" command line switch, you have to use the numbers.

scifista42 said:

Could you post the decorate code of your actor including ALL of its death states?

k..

Spoiler

And what's the name or number of the script that you don't want to be called from Death.Suicide? (Maybe one of those "JumpIfInventory" jumps leads to it.)

Is there any particular reason why entire sectors disappear when trying to delete specific vertices? Especially sectors that overlap when they use the same line to connect.

Also, what's a good way to delete/alter sectors? This is one of the biggest reasons why I get frustrated with map design. It feels like if I mess up building a map, I have to just start over because of these sectors disappearing.

LuridRequiem said:

Is there any particular reason why entire sectors disappear when trying to delete specific vertices? Especially sectors that overlap when they use the same line to connect.

Also, what's a good way to delete/alter sectors? This is one of the biggest reasons why I get frustrated with map design. It feels like if I mess up building a map, I have to just start over because of these sectors disappearing.

Sectors that overlap? No sector should ever overlap with another as that will always create all kinds of problems. If this happens one way to fix it is go to vector mode and put a vector where the lines cross and then mode the vector around so that it "fuses" with both lines. I think another way to fix is to use the "check errors" -function and it will fix it for you. Sectors always need to be "closed" with lines or they break.

I've only used gzdb so I don't know about other editors but if you have a line and multiple vectors that split the line and are not connected to other lines you can just safely delete those.

To safely delete a sector go to sectors mode, click the sector you want to delete and press "delete". This will leave you with some missing textures but this is normal.

If all else fails, you can create a sector attached to the area you want to delete, and then delete the unwanted sector area.
Basically try to encapsulate the area down to 1 attached vertices, then you'll be able to delete the sector as a whole.
I know this is probably kind of hard to follow without a demonstration..

LuridRequiem said:

Sectors can't exist without verticies, so if you delete one of course the whole sector will go with it. If you want to get rid of a vertex, drag it onto a neighbouring vertex. The only time you can safely just hit "delete" on a vertex is if it isn't attached to any sectors (e.g. just a floating linedef).

If a sector is just floating in the void (or backs onto the void) deleting it won't cause any issues. If it's surrounded by other sectors, if you delete it you'll be left with a giant void filled column in your map. Generally I use Shift+J instead: select a sector next to the one you want to get rid of and then select the one you want to delete, and hit Shift+J to merge them. Essentially the two sectors become one, which is usually preferable to a giant void hole.

Which program(free if that is possible) can you recommended to me to create M_DOOM graphic? except photoshop :-) thanks