Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da Eediot

Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Ouycast openGL Error On Windows 98

I need help getting this error to go away. Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy used to work on my Windows 98, but then it stopped working. I got Jedi Outcast later on and it too doesn't work. They both get the same error. I've tried getting new drivers and I've tried some of the other fixes but nothing works.

What exactly is the error message?

Or maybe your version of OpenGL simply doesn't support JK anymore. Can't say for sure.

Voros said:

What exactly is the error message?

Or maybe your version of OpenGL simply doesn't support JK anymore. Can't say for sure.

The error message says "could not load opengl subsystem".

1. Go to the GLDirect page on SourceForge http://sourceforge.net/projects/gldirect/ Download gldirect5_opensource.zip.
2. Extract the contents. Go to the gldirect5\bin\release folder.
3. Copy opengl32.dll to your GameData folder.
4. Start the game

Found this after about 9 seconds on google. A little self-direction can go a long way.

Use3D said:

1. Go to the GLDirect page on SourceForge http://sourceforge.net/projects/gldirect/ Download gldirect5_opensource.zip.
2. Extract the contents. Go to the gldirect5\bin\release folder.
3. Copy opengl32.dll to your GameData folder.
4. Start the game

Found this after about 9 seconds on google. A little self-direction can go a long way.

Did you get that from the Steam thread about the openGL error? Because that one didn't work for me.

Well if you're not going to tell us what you already tried I don't know what you expect. Good luck.

Use3D said:

Well if you're not going to tell us what you already tried I don't know what you expect. Good luck.

You didn't ask. I tried getting new drivers and I tried that openGL fix from the Steam thread.

Shouldn't have to ask, it's just common courtesy when asking for help from people so the above situation doesn't happen and you don't waste people's time... actually forget it, I shouldn't have bothered given your history.

Use3D said:

Shouldn't have to ask, it's just common courtesy when asking for help from people so the above situation doesn't happen and you don't waste people's time... actually forget it, I shouldn't have bothered given your history.

I have quite the reputation, I suppose.

Jedi Outcast was released in 2002. Windows XP was just released, and many users still used Windows 98 at this moment.

cybdmn said:

Jedi Outcast was released in 2002. Windows XP was just released, and many users still used Windows 98 at this moment.

2002? shit, i didn't knew it was that old...

1)If you are using an old PC from that era is most likely, that your card doesn't support OpenGl, A lot of cards of that era didn't support it, even more the low end one. To rule out if your card supports or not Open Gl, do this

https://archive.org/download/QuakeIiiArenaDemo

Download Quake 3 Arena Demo, is quite small. If you can Play Quake 3, then the issue is with the game. If you can´t it means you can't play Open Gl Game.

2)If you are using current hardware and running Win 98, most likely you are not using any driver at all and you are stuck with 256 colors which means you won't be able to use Windows 98 at it's full potential and most game won't work.

Wild Dog said:

1)If you are using an old PC from that era is most likely, that your card doesn't support OpenGl, A lot of cards of that era didn't support it, even more the low end one. To rule out if your card supports or not Open Gl, do this

https://archive.org/download/QuakeIiiArenaDemo

Download Quake 3 Arena Demo, is quite small. If you can Play Quake 3, then the issue is with the game. If you can´t it means you can't play Open Gl Game.

2)If you are using current hardware and running Win 98, most likely you are not using any driver at all and you are stuck with 256 colors which means you won't be able to use Windows 98 at it's full potential and most game won't work.

But I used to be able to run Jedi Knight Jedi Academy on the computer, so it can run OpenGL games.

Da Eediot said:

But I used to be able to run Jedi Knight Jedi Academy on the computer, so it can run OpenGL games.

Fascinating. However the point of what Wild Dog was asking is if it could play any OpenGL games at present, at all. So did you bother to download and run the Quake 3 demo or not?

Da Eediot said:

Just get the demo and try to play it. If you fail to play it, then you have an issue with your Drivers.
If you play it, then your Game is broken.

On 2/22/2017 at 11:09 AM, Wild Dog said:

Just get the demo and try to play it. If you fail to play it, then you have an issue with your Drivers.
If you play it, then your Game is broken.

The Quake III Demo works. How do I get the Star Wars game to work?

This is the error message:

JK2: v1.03 win-x86 May 3 2002 Initialising zone memory ..... ----- FS_Startup ----- Current search path: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets5.pk3 (4 files) C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets2.pk3 (289 files) C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets1.pk3 (8011 files) C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\assets0.pk3 (6674 files) C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData/base ---------------------- 14978 files in pk3 files execing default.cfg couldn't exec jk2config.cfg couldn't exec autoexec.cfg ...detecting CPU, found Intel Pentium III ------- Input Initialization ------- Skipping check for DirectInput Joystick is not active. ------------------------------------ ----- Client Initialization ----- ----- Initializing Renderer ---- ------------------------------- ----- Client Initialization Complete ----- --- Common Initialization Complete --- Working directory: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData ----- R_Init ----- Initializing OpenGL subsystem ...initializing QGL ...calling LoadLibrary( 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\opengl32.dll' ): failed ...shutting down QGL ----- CL_Shutdown ----- RE_Shutdown( 1 ) ----------------------- GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

Try an old (OLD) GL port of Doom like ZDoomGL or GLDoom to see if OpenGL is still working at all on your PC. If that doesn't work, I would suggest a reformat because in my experience, parts of 9x can just go tits up without warning.

Thank god we use NT now.

P.S. you don't let that ancient contraption access the internet, do you?

On 5/28/2017 at 2:52 PM, Woolie Wool said:

Try an old (OLD) GL port of Doom like ZDoomGL or GLDoom to see if OpenGL is still working at all on your PC. If that doesn't work, I would suggest a reformat because in my experience, parts of 9x can just go tits up without warning.

Thank god we use NT now.

P.S. you don't let that ancient contraption access the internet, do you?

No, It's not able to use the internet anymore. I can play Doom on it.

Hey, i have a similar issue. i have a windows 98 that has windows xp version 2002 with an intel pentuim III processor 731 MHz, and 512 MB of RAM. ive had jedi outcast 2 in the past on this computer before and even before it had xp im pretty sure. At that time though the disc i had of jkjo2 was a clone copy that i got from a friend. now i had went and purchased a actual copy of the game less than a month ago and i should have all the performance i need to play the game. however when i start it up this is what i get:

JK2:  vl. 02a win-x86 Mar   4  2002

Initialising zone memory  . . . . .

----- FS_Startup -----

Current search path:

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi

Outcast\GameData\base\assets1.pk3  (8011 files)

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi

Outcast\GameData\base\assets0.pk3  (6674 files)

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData/base

----------------------

14685 files in pk3 files

execing default.cfg

couldn't exec jk2config.cfg

could't exec autoexec.cfg

. . .detecting CPU,  found Intel Pentium III

------- Input Initialization -------

Skipping check for DirectInput

Joystick is not active.

------------------------------------

------- Force Feedback Initialization -------

. . .inhibited, not initializing 

----- Client Initialization -----

----- Initializing Renderer ----

-----------------------------------------

----- Client Initialization Complete -----

--- Common Initialization Complete --- 

Working directory:  C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi

Outcast\GameData

----- R_Init -----

Initializing OpenGl subsystem

. . .initializing  QGL

. . .calling LoadLibrary(   'C:\WINDOWS\system32\opengl32. d11'  ) :   succeeded

. . .setting mode  3:  640  480  FS

. . .using desktop display depth of 32

. . .calling CDS:  ok

. . .registered window class

. . .created window@0 , 0  (640x480)

Innitializing OpenGL driver

. . .getting DC:  succeeded

. . .GLW_ChoosePFD (  32 ,  24 ,  8  )

. . .35  PFDs  found

. . .GLW_ChoosePFD  failed

. . .GLW_ChoosePFD (  32 ,  24 ,  0  ) 

. . .35  PFDs  found

. . .GLW_ChoosePFD  failed

. . .failed to find an appropriate  PIXELFORMAT

. . .restoring display settings

. . .WARNING:  could not set the given mode  (3)

. . .setting mode  3:   640  480  FS

using colorsbbits  of  16

. . .calling CDS:   ok

. . .created window@0 , 0   (640x480)

Initializing OpenGL driver

. . .getting DC:   succeeded

. . .GLW_ChoosePFD(  16 ,  16 ,  0  )

. . .35 PFDs found

. . .GLW_ChoosePFD failed

. . .GLW_ChoosePFD (  16 ,  16 ,  0  )

35 PFDs found

. . .GLW_ChoosePFD failed

. . .failed to find an appropriate  PIXELFORMAT

. . .restoring display settings

. . .WARNING:   could not set the given mode   (3)

. . .shutting down  QGL

. . .unloading OpenGL  DLL

-----  CL_Shutdown -----

RE_Shutdown (  1  )

------------------------------------

GLW_StartOpenGL ( )  -  could not load OpenGL subsystem

im not sure what exactly the problem even is, but it seems that the pixelformat is what the startup cant find or set in place to be correct for my computer, something to do with openGL but ive been unsuccessful to find out a solution.Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by captain_schepard