Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JagDogger2525

ZDoom Flat Glitch/Bug

I have a wad where this only occurs in the same area 100% of the time and nowhere else.

It is on a lift and as the lift goes up, the see-through fence becomes full of a flat (either FLOOR7_1 or CEIL5_2) BUT when the lift stops, it is no longer there and becomes see-through again.

In pic A, both of these are in Software Mode yet when in Hardware, this does not occur - A is the map with modded internals while B is the original map and NOTHING internal is modded.

BUT I also tried it separate (also in software mode), there is no flat in the fence (Pic B).

Pic A

Spoiler

Pic B
Spoiler

It can't be the wad but to give more info, the wad with the bug is about 188MB whereas the separate is only 53MB.

What is going on?

How is this fence constructed? If it's a self-referencing or normal sector, as the lift rises the ceiling flat will fill the transparent areas of the texture until it moves below the player's viewpoint. I'm not sure what you mean with the rest of your post. Modded internals? You mean as a stand-alone level the fence is fine but once you place it into your larger wad it breaks?

Use3D said:

How is this fence constructed? If it's a self-referencing or normal sector, as the lift rises the ceiling flat will fill the transparent areas of the texture until it moves below the player's viewpoint. I'm not sure what you mean with the rest of your post. Modded internals? You mean as a stand-alone level the fence is fine but once you place it into your larger wad it breaks?

Modded internals is what is added/changed is music, new enemies, sprite changes, textures, MAPINFO, DECORATE, GAMEINFO, etc.

The fence is constructed with the linedef as a sector that is connected to the two sectors next to it.

So, I believe I found the problem - the linedef that has the fence texture was actually part of the two sectors between it. When I made new sectors of the two sectors (joining them afterwards) and joined that single linedef sector to the sector that it was already in, that actually fixed it.

What I did fixed it but it brought on another problem, it was that it was blocking down below when I don't want it to block down below

What it is doing is, when in software mode, it is seeing the ceiling of the sectoral linedef and clipping it. How do I prevent Software Mode from seeing and clipping that ceiling texture and just show the proper see-through middle texture?

I don't understand the new problem, could you post a picture of it, or even the whole map (possibly stripped of other resources in the wad)?

scifista42 said:

I don't understand the new problem, could you post a picture of it, or even the whole map (possibly stripped of other resources in the wad)?

The photos in my first post are what I am seeing (A is the map with everything in the wad and B is the original [JUST the map and nothing else])

Here are the sectors:

Did you just highlight the sectors, and the middle linedef got automatically highlighted like that? If so, you probably have unclosed sectors there. Try going into the "Make Sector" mode (not to be confused with regular Sector mode) and click onto each of the sectors, or if it doesn't help, delete all of the sectors and redraw them. To prevent unclosed sectors: While you're in linedef mode, never delete 2-sided linedefs between different sectors before joining or merging the sectors first, and never delete 1-sided linedefs except when you delete whole pillars fully enclosed within a single sector, and while you're in vertex mode, never delete vertexes on the boundary of 3 or more linedefs, and also don't drag linedefs from one sector to another, and similar complicated actions at which you can't assume that the editor will automatically resolve them when you do them.

So you've indeed tried to use an unclosed/self-referencing sector deliberately? If you're mapping specifically for ZDoom, you'd preferably use the "3D midtex" linedef flag to make the fence texture impassable while making the room above and below it free to pass. But if you insist on a self-referencing sector, better use a thin triangular or trapezoid shaped sector than a single linedef for it.

scifista42 said:

So you've indeed tried to use an unclosed/self-referencing sector deliberately? If you're mapping specifically for ZDoom, you'd preferably use the "3D midtex" linedef flag to make the fence texture impassable while making the room above and below it free to pass. But if you insist on a self-referencing sector, better use a thin triangular or trapezoid shaped sector than a single linedef for it.

I am trying to get all possibilities on how to do this properly so I don't mess it up and for future reference