Author: riderr3
Map name: South of hell

Compatibility: Limit-removing
Playtesting: Prboom-plus 2.5.1.4
Allow jumping and\or crouching: No
Skill settings: Yes

Build time: 29 days (lazy)
Tools used: GZDoomBuilder, Slade3, GIMP

Resources: textures from PSX Doom; modified textures from Doom 2, Evilution and Plutonia; lava fall texture from cc4falls.zip
Music track: Bathory - Raise The Dead.mid

Bugs: Not found
Comments: A big hellish place somewhere deep in south of hell.

On the topic of 4 player starts: ZDaemon TNS regulars always want them to be included in all maps, as it makes for more convenient playing in coop mode with many people. I personally agree with that fully. In the 2015 project, I've added 4 player starts into all maps that didn't have them.

I consider player starts a must. The amount of enjoyment that can cause for people playing it with their friends is totally worth that minimal amount of time it takes you to add them, even if they're not positioned as, uhh, conventionally as the player one start position.

Interesting proposition. I want to be in on this project, however, I also have a map to publish for another community project. (Nova III) But when I get the chance, I'll try my hand at this project.

This is quite something. I want to get involved in THREE community projects, don't know what to start first.

Download for final release of Spiralunky (limit-removing).

It's said the Doomworld Community Projects embrace the variety of the community. With that in mind, I present the first beta of... this thing. A gauntlet-type map that focuses primarily on low tier enemies and weapons. It's all a bit Serious Sam really!

Author: Bauul
Map name: Spiralunky

Compatibility: Limit-removing port (although Boom and up get a custom sky)
Playtesting: GZDoom 2.3.2, PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4, some Crispy Doom 3.4
Player starts: Co-op, no deathmatch

Build time: 2 weeks, far more hours per day than I really should have
Tools used: GZDoom Builder BugFix, Slade 3
Node Builder: ZDBSP - Normal (zero reject)

Resources:
Textures - cc4 waterfall textures
Sky - ZSKY10 from Stian Skjondal's "Skypack 1"
Music - The Baying of the Hounds (MIDI version) by Opeth.

Bugs: None that I know of.

Many thanks to everyone who tested it and gave me feedback!

Technical stuff for compiling the eventual megawad:

Spoiler

The cc4 waterfall textures are included in the WAD at the moment.
MAPINFO present, albeit just referencing Map 01 for now.
There is a hi-res version of ZSKY10 between HI_START and HI_END for ZDoom and higher ports.
The music file "BAUOPETH" is referenced in the MAPINFO, but I also included it as D_RUNNIN for the non MAPINFO ports.

Edit: Added final release link.

ZALGO said:

Interesting proposition. I want to be in on this project, however, I also have a map to publish for another community project. (Nova III) But when I get the chance, I'll try my hand at this project.

This is quite something. I want to get involved in THREE community projects, don't know what to start first.

You have plenty of time making something for this project, since the deadline is by the end of the year. That's more than enough to plan, built and test an average-length map unless you're planning something bigger and more ambitious or have a very busy life and a tight schedule.

Bauul said:

Download for the first beta of Spiralunky (limit-removing).

http://i.imgur.com/mSoV1Vfl.png

[...]
[/spoiler]

That was a really fun ride hahahh I thought I wouldn't get into the end, but thankfully it wasn't too hard for me. D: Still really tense though. I loved how you've played with different mix and setups, starting from very simple to more challenging or a cool big setpiece. I took 27 min to finish de whole thing, the landscape feels like minecraft, in a cool way. Loved it how the "story" was told from the beginning to end.

My FDA: http://www.mediafire.com/file/kvpharn3so2qxgn/spiralunky-deadwing.rar

Dragonfly said:

Going to play Bauul's map on stream very soon!

https://www.twitch.tv/dragonflyos

I saw the playtrough of my map. And all that complaining about that big moving platform. On easy skill there are invulnerability sphere. The safe shooting spot is the building which leads to yellow door (another window to shoot mastermind).

Huge thanks to everyone who tuned into the stream last night, and an equally large thanks to those of you who made maps for our enjoyment.

Here's the VOD for you to watch, if you're interested.

@BAUUL: Sorry you missed most of the play through of your map but at elast you got my review at the end. As said in the stream, tt's definitely a fun concept but I feel it needs just a touch more variation on the way up (not just monster variatioun, but the way the monsters appear, too. Other notable improvements that can be made include adding stairs that lower once you get to certain points on the map, and making a final encounter - the BFG was so shortlived I fear that the player doesn't get to use it properly. In addition to that, the lack of a proper 'final battle' was probably the map's main let down.

@Riderr3: Yeah, I feel that upon reflection I should have hunted for other ways to handle that encounter, but regardless it wasn't "fun" so to speak. The main issue I had with the map as outlined in the stream was a lack of 'signposting', even on a subliminal level - however, that said, that may be a complaint exclusive to me. I've never been a huge fan of those super non-linear keyhunt type maps, so I feel that may have skewed my opinion. Some fights in the map were incredibly fun, and that Icon of sin teeth-door was so damn cool. Some consideration for the player I think could be made (like raising the ceiling at the yellow key-door) here and there to make the map less frustrating. I also recall a revenant at the top of a 64x64 lift which, if you're not ready for it, is very likely to ruin your run. I did like the way the start point gives access to a chaingun and armor if you're attentive / restart the map a few times, nice touch.

Oh, and here's a highlight of a revenant hilariously one-shot bitchslapping me to death!

@Carlos_Lastra: Wow. This map was a blast to play through! Not too hard, not too easy, a definite contender for the map02-map04 area in the megawad in my honest opinion. The visuals for me had a Doom2 map01 meets Doom1 Episode 1 feel - something I can certainly get behind. The floating hex-floor with the hanging body kind of irked me but it's probably because I feel 'surrealism' doesn't have a place in techbases. Very, very minor point probably exclusive to me :P I said at one point 'predictable trap' and then was immediately killed by the unpredictability of it. Well played, heh. All in all I had a blast playing through this little map, and if I had to change one thing, it would only be marking the RL as a secret, heh. :)

Bauul
It was a good test of skills. The map is very well balanced, no kinks difficulty if you play carefully. The gameplay is smooth and comfortable. The final return of the player to the starting point - an interesting solution. The total depth of detailing is impressive. Very well done!

- Visuals (4 / 5)
- Detailing (4 / 5)
- Gameplay (4 / 5)
- Atmosphere (3 / 5)
- Difficulty (3 / 5)

- Overall Rating (4 / 5)

First Demo Attempt 22 mins, PrBoom 2.5.1.3

riderr3
Pretty simpe, but hard to play. I was killed very many times and no save the FDA. But it was good training before Bauul's map!

Dragonfly said:

@Carlos_Lastra: Wow. This map was a blast to play through! Not too hard, not too easy, a definite contender for the map02-map04 area in the megawad in my honest opinion. The visuals for me had a Doom2 map01 meets Doom1 Episode 1 feel - something I can certainly get behind. The floating hex-floor with the hanging body kind of irked me but it's probably because I feel 'surrealism' doesn't have a place in techbases. Very, very minor point probably exclusive to me :P I said at one point 'predictable trap' and then was immediately killed by the unpredictability of it. Well played, heh. All in all I had a blast playing through this little map, and if I had to change one thing, it would only be marking the RL as a secret, heh. :)

Thanks!

Now that you write this, I should mention that I also wanted to make the RL an easy secret to find. But, since I liked the title "All Guns Blazing" and put Hell Knights and Cacodemons there, some weapons were needed to make sense, he, he.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/g3464pw1siiw5n2/Sysmlt.zip

Author: Forli
Map name: System meltdown

Compatibility: Boom
Playtesting: Zdoom, Gzdoom, prboom+ 2.5.1.4

Build time: 1 week
Tools used: Slade3, gzdoom builder

Resources: Communitychest4, some textures from realm 667
Music track: Alien vendetta map4

Bugs: Not that I know
Comments: This the first map with boom compatibility that I've made and I think I did something wrong, I had to include the doom2 textures in the wad to make it work on prboom+

Forli said:

Bugs: Not that I know
Comments: This the first map with boom compatibility that I've made and I think I did something wrong, I had to include the doom2 textures in the wad to make it work on prboom+

Fun map. -cl 9 FDA

The fight turned out to be tense. Map begins deceptively simple, but it is necessary to go deep and can be on the verge of death. The work stands out nonlinearity, encourages to explore. I do not even know how long stay alive, if not found the secret rocket launcher. I could find 3 of 4 secrets. Very dramatic died right in front of the button to exit the level. I have pressed the "Use" key, but the Cyberdemon rocket ahead of me on 0.001 seconds. :D

Absolutely unnecessary to put in your WAD texture from IWAD. It is sufficient that the original doom2.wad was in PrBoom folder.

First Demo Attempt 24 min, PrBoom 2.5.1.3

Author: Paul Corfiatis
Map name: Wrath of The Wingless Pigeon

Playtesting: Zdoom 2.8.1
Allow jumping and\or crouching: Not Allowed

Build time: About 2 weeks
Tools used: Doom Builder

Resources: pcf_sky (new sky texture)
Music track: Into the Darkness by Paul Corfiatis

Bugs: Not that many.
Comments: A small but nice Boom compatible map that is designed for singleplayer but has coop and DM starts. The map uses standard Doom 2 textures but there is a new original sky.

DOWNLOAD

http://www.paulcorfiatis.com/dmp17pcf.zip

Edit: 2nd version posted fixes a sky transfer and some wrong difficulty settings for some things.

SCREENSHOTS

Fun map. -cl 9 FDA

Thank you for the demo, you did about as well on your first try as me after testing it a lot O.o.

The fight turned out to be tense. Map begins deceptively simple, but it is necessary to go deep and can be on the verge of death. The work stands out nonlinearity, encourages to explore. I do not even know how long stay alive, if not found the secret rocket launcher. I could find 3 of 4 secrets. Very dramatic died right in front of the button to exit the level. I have pressed the "Use" key, but the Cyberdemon rocket ahead of me on 0.001 seconds. :D

There's also a non-secret rocket launcher, you got it before the secret one.

Thanks for the demo, the fight before the red key didn't work at all as I intended, I didn't expect the player to press that switch before killing the hell knights (or at least I expected them to run for the exit with the key if they did). Maybe I shouldn't make assumptions like that.

Absolutely unnecessary to put in your WAD texture from IWAD. It is sufficient that the original doom2.wad was in PrBoom folder.

I tried to create another wad just as a test and it worked fine, I don't know what the problem was with this one but it gave me an error until I added the doom2 textures...

So how would you rate the map? I'm really bad at judging my own stuff.

Spiralunly final release, downloadable here!

Original post here.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on Spiralunky! I am very aware it's basically a one-gimmick map, but in some respects the Doomworld Mega Project seems the right place for weird experiments like that.

Anyway, I've made a few adjustments ahead of the final release:

• Lowered the number of revenants (given there was nowhere to hide from their rockets) and replaced with HKs.
  • Pain Elemental encounter reduced to just one with Cacodemon body guards
  • Made the level unstartable without at least firing a few bullets, ensuring players can't cheese the level by just never shooting
  • The final encounter was rather trivialized by the inclusion of a BFG (and gave the impression of something bigger coming) so I've swapped it out for a RL and a butt-load of rockets. It works much better as a final battle now.
  • Added shortcuts between the levels: as you complete each lap, staircases between each level rise behind you, so it's much quicker to backtrack in case you fall off.
  • Changed the music to something more pleasant on the ears!
The actual enemies themselves I've left more or less alone, as I think they worked more or less how I hoped them to. Just tidied up a few rough edges.

Forli
I do not think anyone seriously want my ratings ... They are very dependent on first impressions and my own vision. I made them, just to replace long descriptions. Because I have not the ability to write long ... I usually save and evaluate maps, the authors of which I could learn something. In addition, I compare them with the works of a very high (in my opinion) quality, and maps made for fun, destined to have a low rating in my collection. But this does not mean that they are bad! Sometimes it seems to me that I should not started these rankings ...

But, if you want:

- Visuals (3 / 5)
- Detailing (3 / 5)
- Gameplay (2 / 5)
- Atmosphere (3 / 5)
- Difficulty (4 / 5)

- Overall Rating (3 / 5)

This fun and strong work, which is very much.
Perhaps someone appreciate a map is much higher.

pcorf
Nice map with classic gameplay and visuals. I take note of this black\green style of rocks. At times, there is lack of ammunition, but it is not critical. Although that I often foolish coming under fire, medikits always enough to completely compensate the health... Not very much was provided in close traps. In the final battle with arch-vile I was saved only by a secret plasmagun.

- Visuals (3 / 5)
- Detailing (3 / 5)
- Gameplay (2 / 5)
- Atmosphere (3 / 5)
- Difficulty (3 / 5)

- Overall Rating (3 / 5)

First Demo Attempt 13 min, PrBoom 2.5.1.3

Bauul
Link was updated.

StormCatcher.77 said:

pcorf
Nice map with classic gameplay and visuals. I take note of this black\green style of rocks. At times, there is lack of ammunition, but it is not critical. Although that I often foolish coming under fire, medikits always enough to completely compensate the health... Not very much was provided in close traps. In the final battle with arch-vile I was saved only by a secret plasmagun.

http://postimage.org/ - Visuals (3 / 5)
http://postimage.org/ - Detailing (3 / 5)
http://postimage.org/ - Gameplay (2 / 5)
http://postimage.org/ - Atmosphere (3 / 5)
http://postimage.org/ - Difficulty (3 / 5)

http://postimage.org/ - Overall Rating (3 / 5)

https://s5.postimg.org/v58foczuf/Doom_Font_Green_Arrow.png First Demo Attempt 13 min, PrBoom 2.5.1.3

Bauul
Link was updated.

Thanks for your feedback! I'll look into making some improvments in the gameplay, everything else is fine.

Ha, nice to see you still fiddle around in the editor. Here's a FDA with saves if you care to watch me die a lot.
Thoughtless BFG spam can be entertaining as this map proves it again. Visuals were a bit irrtating at times but gamplay was really fun. Make more maps.....

Here's something I made earlier this year.

Author: Veinen
Map name: Predator

Playtesting: prboom+ 2.5.1.3, GZDoom 2.2.0
Allow jumping and/or crouching: no
Skill settings: UV and half-baked, mostly untested lower skills (mainly added some extra powerups)

Build time: a couple weeks
Tools used: GZDoom Builder, Slade

Resources used: all vanilla
Music track: Heretic E1M9: The Graveyard by Kevin Schilder

Bugs: boom ledges. All monsters should be killable even if they drop down though
Comments: An underground facility overrun by the demonic hordes. Can you find out what the demons are up to?

Slaughter-ish map with medium-high difficulty but nothing over the top I hope. Can be a bit cruel if you're playing without foreknowledge though, so saves are recommended for the first playthrough.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8xqglb9jkcaqscv/Predator_v1.wad

Hmm... Cool maps... full of pain and suffering... Yea... And fun... Very... ;]
I rate it 9000 / 9000 revenants.

I hope, you enjoy to see my FDA's:

Eviscerate 26 min, GZDoom 2.2.0
Predator 27 min, GZDoom 2.2.0

Finaly, realy cool slauthermaps. In general, it's beatable on UV without cheating.

Thanks for the demo, StormCatcher! That was an enjoyable watch and you certainly have admirable persistence. Some of the more unfortunate save spots would have broken a less resolute player for sure heh.