Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can I have more info about these?

chungy said:

If controversy sold, then 1.666 would be extremely valuable because of the version number's (quite intentional) sacrilegious nature.

Turns out that's not the case, 1.666 is fairly common and not as highly valued as a result.

"666" in the scheme of a Hell based, "murder simulator" isn't really that edgy.

everennui said:

To be so nonchalant about this issue is to ignore the thousands of people who associate(d) Doom with Nazism. You can't say that's not the case, because John Romero even addressed it in an interview.

It literally isn't the case and there wasn't any controversy. Show me the interview because if you're referring to this one then he doesn't say what you've just claimed. Show me the news articles from 1994 with all the outrage and outcry over this huge controversy. You won't find them because they don't exist. It's not true that "thousands of people associated Doom with Nazism". All of this is literally your imagination.

As I said in my previous comment, and I'll restate to be clear - if you're interested in the history of video game controversies, that's fine and great - there's nothing wrong with having particular interests and preoccupations. Just don't imagine this particular "controversy" (if it can even be called that) has any effect on current-day market values for particular versions of Doom. If you're really interested in this subject, do more research and get a better feel for how big a deal this thing was, because it's clear you're way off base.

everennui said:

That MTG card was THE REASON for cards being pulled. The card was such a black spot that they edited it. That's history and because of it, it has Historical Value. All 3rd edition cards have more value, but THIS CARD has even more value because of its history. The CONTROVERSY changed the market. It wasn't a misprint or an ink problem (which would add value) it was controversy.

You are talking so far out of your butt I'm done with this. Cards weren't "pulled" because of the card art, it was changed because some people were associating mtg with demonic practices. nothing was pulled due to that. Anyone who knows jack about mtg prices know that alpha and beta cards are the most expensive ones of their print for different various reasons, and unholy strength being changed isn't one of them. Believe whatever you want man.

MrGlide said:

Cards weren't "pulled" because of the card art, it was changed because some people were associating mtg with demonic practices.

I wonder why they would think that...

"pulled" was admittedly a bad word to use.

Addendum: @Fraggle. I'm curious how old you were when you registered here and how big your highschool was.

(These do work.)

10:16
&

43:01 (...with the source of my confusion. Romero says the change was 1.666)

(It's kind of conflicting, but his emphasis on "a lot" seems pretty genuine.)

There are also two Nazi anti-heroes who were noted as playing Doom which didn't help. As someone who has know a few skinheads I'm saying from my experience that there is an underground Nazi presence that plays Doom. 4chan much? Because of Columbine and probably because of the confusion around the Swastika.

I'm gonna chalk this one up as two different people who have experienced two different lives. At any rate, I've only expressed my opinion on a completely speculative market. It doesn't really matter in end. It's not even the right version.

Agree to disagree?

everennui said:

Romero Devs Play

Id had people who wrote to them to complain. This doesn't conflict with anything I previously said. To reiterate:

1. This was not any kind of big controversy. There was no press coverage, for example, which forced them to make the change or damaged their reputation (show me any example to the contrary). In fact, Romero explicitly states that they did it just "because a vet[eran] asked".

2. This doesn't have any effect on the market value for pre-1.666 registered releases of Doom, which was your original claim.

There aren't enough Youtubers with 1994 PC video game review shows to raise the price in another decade or millennium. Oh or collectors. I guess those people would buy disks if they didn't already have them. You're late to the party.

If you're looking for video games that go up in value try shmups. Only a few people bought them, fewer people collect them and those who collect them want their high scores to live on forever, so they never sell them.

Linguica said:

You're aware it's 2017, right?

I am absolutely aware of the year. They're a bygone format. Which was my point, floppies aren't so old that they're cool and have value again, they're just worthless discs. Hipsters have yet to make floppies cool so what this person has is worthless. Give it another decade or two and with any luck the retro will kick in.

23 year old floppy's...Are considered vintage as of 2014.

And believe me...There is quite a buzz on this still...If not why are you here geo...

Linguica said:

Of course, you could just print counterfeit labels for counterfeit disks and make your life easier... I'm looking at you fraggle...

I'd love to hear the story on that one :)