Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Doom 2 Redux (Mapset Complete. Beta Release Incoming)

Cupcake, I forgot about yours. Now we get to have fun. All secret map contenders, send me your maps and I ill create a new thread with a poll asking people to play the wads and pick one. The top two will be selected.

TraceOfSpades said:

I was considering making Sotas Map map 32 and Ketchups map 31.

In fact...yeah, Gangrel, make it happen.

Wait, what?

The map list is complete already...

Alright Sota, I gave map 31 difficulty levels (I added more monsters for the HMP and UV difficulties). I also had to fix some textures for the gothicx texture pack. Other than that, everything looks great. I'll send the level to you if you want to work on it more, otherwise It'll be in the wad proper, which is about all set.

nxGangrel said:

Alright Sota, I gave map 31 difficulty levels (I added more monsters for the HMP and UV difficulties). I also had to fix some textures for the gothicx texture pack. Other than that, everything looks great. I'll send the level to you if you want to work on it more, otherwise It'll be in the wad proper, which is about all set.

Alright, cool. I'm not planning to make any changes for the first Beta of the whole MegaWad, yours is the "final" for now. Once you've packed the whole thing, I could have the latest version of MAP31, so I can make some visual additions and gameplay changes I've had in mind for it and to optimize the map a bit for the Final version of the MegaWad.

Well it looks like Ketchup's map will be 31, cupcake's will remain in the same slot, and sota's will be map 33. The beta probably won't have a map 33 until a later version, or it'll be in the final release.
I'll make sure map 31 has a secret exit, if it doesn't already, and map 33 will have a regular exit. I need to figure out how to make a map 33 without the level crashing...
Beta should be released later tonight or tomorrow.

If map 33 can't work without crashing, Sota's map will be in slot 32. Cupcake's can have a spot in UDRedux.

^I think it should be the other way around.
Sota's map fits an the feel of e2 or e3. While Cupcake's fits map 32.

Anywho, I'm going to release the Beta in a different thread soon.

Go ahead and release the beta. Worst case scenario, I end up wanting it changed and it gets changed for the final release.

Also, Sota...there are HOMs on the candle textures in the megasphere room. I haven't finished the map but I love it so far.

Update for MAP19 - The Citadel!

As I got some feedback in release-thread, I decided to work on some changes to the map that should address the problems, at least a little bit. I played the beta-release and got ~28min on an "average" playthrough (few secrets, not killing all, not collecting all items/weapons, etc.). After the changes I made, the playthrough was ~20min. I consider that an improvement.

Changelog:

*Significantly reduced the amount of monsters, especially on easy and medium skills.
*Reworked "Pinky pit" room to be bit more simple.
*Tweaked the "rightmost arena" (the one with 2 switches: one for door, one for bridge). It's not fully symmetrical any more.
*Removed "Imp cages" in library. Also tweaked the flow how things are unlocked. Also lowered "Revenant cages" so it's easier to kill those Revenants.
*Reworked the room where player exits after "Red key path" is done. It's not fully symmetrical any more, one side is darker and has collapsed wall.
*Tweaked the size of the "Imp and Cacodemon cages" in the entrance-hallways of the main building: No more can monsters hide behind small corners (faster to kill them).
*Tweaked main buildings stairs in "Main hall" so, that the Pinkies can travel up/down on them.
*Simplified geometry in few areas (mostly the exterior walls around the main building's moat).
*Replaced few textures that were changed to something else and not fitting because of the Gothic Textures -pack.
*Reworked the "Entrance building" to have more simple gameplay: Only one switch is needed now, other side has extra items/gear only for player to grab.
*Tweaked ammo counts in few areas, mostly replacing small packs with bigger ones.
*Replaced some Baron of Hells with Hell Knights for easy/medium skills.
*And probably few other very small tweaks..

Download [Release Candidate 2]: