Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

Sgt Ender said:

Someone gimme ideas for textures.

Find a WAD with good texture ideas executed poorly. Re-do them to look nice. This should keep you busy for the next 9000 lifetimes considering the average quality out there.

Sgt Ender said:

Doom 2016 style rusty red rock walls and flats, mars surface stuff. White and silver tech walls with orange trim.
Skin or gore versions of Dooms Vine textures.

Szymanski said:

Doom 2016 style rusty red rock walls and flats, mars surface stuff. White and silver tech walls with orange trim.
Skin or gore versions of Dooms Vine textures.

I may do the vine thingy.

I did something related to the vines, but it isn't exactly how you described it.

Okay, I finally fixed the first frame for the animated version. Sorry about that!

It doesn't make sense. But RROCKVINES is awesome :D

I think the animation needs to reverse instead of wrap tho yeh?

traversd said:

It doesn't make sense. But RROCKVINES is awesome :D

I think the animation needs to reverse instead of wrap tho yeh?

That's just an example animation.

Decided to try to draw my own vines. Conclusion: It's fucking hard. First attempt:

Will probably start over.

Sgt Ender said:

I may or may not be improving.

Consider making textures only using colors from the standard Doom palette, as that's the only way to guarantee they'd look good after conversion to the palette.

scifista42 said:

Consider making textures only using colors from the standard Doom palette, as that's the only way to guarantee they'd look good after conversion to the palette.

I'm pretty sure the worst that could happen is slight dulling of the green parts. At least I hope that's how it'll be.

EDIT: okay, for some reason the entire grenblud texture is grayed out, even though I only recolored the blood part.

Another EDIT(TM): oops, forgot to switch the palette to Doom. The grenblud texture looks alright when converted, but for some reason the red vines are brown. Lemme try and do a color remap.

Alright, now that I've applied the color palette to all the textures that needed it, here they are:

And the vine texture for those that wanna use it:

Other colors coming later.

A little experiment with those vines that didn't really come out as expected.

For some reason i decide to convert few textures from medal of honor allied assault which i liked to doom. So there is the result maybe it will be useful for someone.

Little preview

If you want you can download them from here.
wad have 36 resized and paletted textures ready for use.

They could very well be useful for many people! How much higher resolution were the originals? They might be useful for the guys building Wolfendoom: Blade of Agony.

Sgt Ender said:

I would like to see (and maybe use in my Flesh Interface Project) the SILVER or SHAWN textures "invaded" by skin or flesh.

Dragonfly said:

They could very well be useful for many people! How much higher resolution were the originals? They might be useful for the guys building Wolfendoom: Blade of Agony.

Some Original was about 50-70% higher and many of mohaa textures have 512x512 size.
But if anyone interest i can do more textures :-)

On my quest to dirty up a doom styled door I decided to just give up and make a completely new door. Here is what I came up with:

With "ass wipe" -filter

Here same texture but without blur filter. I think it's little too noisy

They are still wip. I'm thinking of putting a button which doomguy can use to open the door and other gubbins. I always found it odd that there is no clear mechanism how doors are opened. Sure there sometimes separate buttons you can press but it's a little odd when button opened doors and normal doors use the same texture.

illuknisaa, I recommend checking it in the palette. That often changes how noise is perceived.

id had a lot of their nuance and shifts as vertical lines which is a very neat trick for making something appear less noisy, but it must have been some old Deluxe Paint trick because I can't figure out a practical way to do noise/dither that way in Photoshop.

A quick conversion test shows the second one probably looks best in the palette, it's got a bit of grit but not that much noise. You get some stray red pixels at the bottom though, but those can be taken out manually after conversion.

Something I should note, is that the independent vine texture looks a different color than the vines covering the rock wall, and I'm not really able to fix that, as the palette was acting strange for me just. Oh well, enjoy it anyways I guess :)

ukiro said:

illuknisaa, I recommend checking it in the palette. That often changes how noise is perceived.

Oh I only map for gzdoom which supports true color so when make textures I don't really give a shit if they are paletted or not.

illuknisaa said:

I always found it odd that there is no clear mechanism how doors are opened. Sure there sometimes separate buttons you can press but it's a little odd when button opened doors and normal doors use the same texture.

Interesting you should mention that. Here are some Key Switch Doors I made for those places where a Key indicator texture just isn't appropriate or won't fit.

Full disclosure - when I find a texture in a wad that interests/inspires me, I'll rip it and throw it in a folder. I'll play, I'll edit, I'll make variations. Sometimes I'll forget about them for a while. When I find them again, I don't always remember which was the original (or where it came from) and which I made. I have a LOT of temp folders of textures. So I'll apologize now if I ever accidentally post a texture someone else made which inspired me.

I found the red and blue 'off' skulls in one of my folders. They were gif files and dated 2009. No idea where they're from. I edited them to give more of a gradiant on the highlight. I'm pretty sure I made the 'on' versions based on the original Doom switch SW2_8. I added the colored eyes. I made all the other colors from those a couple of years ago.

More stuff from the same folder. Colored Comptile Panels, with colors/shades that aren't in cc4-tex. I did all the colors except the last two panels. Those were comp panels I found somewhere and made into comptile panels.

Note: the background pattern matches the original Comptile from Doom, not the pattern from cc4-tex. But I used the borders from cc4-tex.

Edit: I just realized that if mine were used in conjunction with the standard ones from cc4-tex (red with dark red, blue with bright blue, etc), they could be used as a giant 128x128 key wall switch.