Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Long Time Lurker, First Time Buyer

Almost a year after its release, I picked up Doom for the Xbox One, because I know I don't have the time, money or desire to upgrade my computer. This leaves me with a couple questions that spans multiple subforums, which is why I'm posting here.

First, does anyone know if the update I downloaded does provide multiplayer bots? If so, as a non-Gold member, can I still play multiplayer offline with bots or did Bethesda get all Bethesda about that?

Second, can I at least download other peoples' SnapMap levels and play them without Gold? I haven't found a clear answer for that question via Google.

Any information is appreciated. Even if my game is crippled by Bethesda, it's still a decent buy at $30, so no big deal. I just take exception to having to pay Microsoft an online membership to use game content offline.

I can't answer the bot question, but considering that bots are local only i guess you don't need gold to play a local match.

As for snapmap you don't need gold to play other people levels AFAIK, you only need gold to play coop or deatchmatch on other people's levels, but other than that you should be fine for SP content

DMPhobos said:

I can't answer the bot question, but considering that bots are local only i guess you don't need gold to play a local match.

As for snapmap you don't need gold to play other people levels AFAIK, you only need gold to play coop or deatchmatch on other people's levels, but other than that you should be fine for SP content

That is great to hear if it's true. For now, I'm working through the SP campaign and hoping there'll be more for me to play afterward. I had bought GoW4 and was pretty irritated at the blatant money grab in regard to how Bethesda handled Horde and other MP modes we used to be able to play offline.

ChickenOrBeef said:

The bots can't be used offline.

You can't play SnapMap without Gold/PS+.

Gears of War 4 was made by Microsoft, not Bethesda.

See, now that makes me think I should've waited and bought the game for the PC. That's garbage. Cynical moneygrabs all around.

ChickenOrBeef said:

You can't play SnapMap without Gold/PS+.

Really?, shit that sucks, i thougth that you didn't needed gold because i remembered that id did said that you could play downloaded maps offline in snapmap.

Sorry, guess i was wrong about that

DMPhobos said:

Really?, shit that sucks, i thougth that you didn't needed gold because i remembered that id did said that you could play downloaded maps offline in snapmap.

Sorry, guess i was wrong about that

I don't know anything about Gold/PS+, but you are able to play downloaded maps offline. You just need to be connected to access other people's content in the first place (which may be where the Gold/PS+ services initially factor in for SnapMap).

AtimZarr said:

I don't know anything about Gold/PS+, but you are able to play downloaded maps offline. You just need to be connected to access other people's content in the first place (which may be where the Gold/PS+ services initially factor in for SnapMap).

Yeah, you can download maps and then play them offline, but downloading the maps in the first place would require Gold/PS+ I would assume.

I just finished the game and decided to try SnapMap for a lark. Holy smokes, it works!

You know, it was good. I had mixed feelings at first as I got accustomed to the difficulty and the play style, but I grew fond of it as I continued playing. When I reflect on it, it's actually quite enjoyable. In fact, I'd say it's a better torch-bearer than Doom 3 and a worthy entry in the pantheon of Doom games. I'm definitely looking forward to a possible sequel or SP add-on. In the mean time, SnapMap is a nice addition, albeit more challenging than the SP campaign.

Job said:

See, now that makes me think I should've waited and bought the game for the PC. That's garbage. Cynical moneygrabs all around.

Sad but true, that's why i still wonder why people buys consoles. Not only you have to pay for the ISP and the game, that's logical. But you also have to pay to use your console online service that's insane.

Well I was trying to avoid explicitly saying it in those terms, CoB...now the Microsoft police are going to get wise to this and shut it down. :/

So apparently PS+ is required for SnapMap if you have a PS4, but Gold is not required if you have an Xbox. That's why I was mixed up.

Pretty crappy for PS4 owners there. But I guess you're in the clear.