Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.4 released, /idgames link is up

Hey, cool that you decided to use my track!

I don't know if this was already addressed in this thread, but regarding the music, as a suggestion, because this project aims at having Doom 64 maps with Doom II aesthetics, it would be a wise idea to focus the music the way the guys did for Doom I and II. Having some ambient stuff, but having some more upbeat, rock stuff as well for the maps that are quicker or more action-oriented. Although I don't see Breakdown or In the Void playing something like the music from E1M4, but I do picture The Absolution with something like E3M8, as it has waves and waves of monsters and has a lot of action which goes well with that kind of music. I feel like just ambient stuff like was done on Doom 64 wouldn't work with Vanilla and the General MIDI sound bank.

Maybe the mappers themselves can suggest which kind of track they expect to be used on their maps and use that as a guide for the musicians to compose.

CoTeCiO said:

Hey, cool that you decided to use my track!

I don't know if this was already addressed in this thread, but regarding the music, as a suggestion, because this project aims at having Doom 64 maps with Doom II aesthetics, it would be a wise idea to focus the music the way the guys did for Doom I and II. Having some ambient stuff, but having some more upbeat, rock stuff as well for the maps that are quicker or more action-oriented. Although I don't see Breakdown or In the Void playing something like the music from E1M4, but I do picture The Absolution with something like E3M8, as it has waves and waves of monsters and has a lot of action which goes well with that kind of music. I feel like just ambient stuff like was done on Doom 64 wouldn't work with Vanilla and the General MIDI sound bank.

Maybe the mappers themselves can suggest which kind of track they expect to be used on their maps and use that as a guide for the musicians to compose.

+1
I've already send 4 tracks to Mechadon, but I'm not so cool at midi composing so I don't know will he accept those tracks or not.

Still, I'd like to listen more Doom2ish tracks for this project than just only dark ambient music.

CoTeCiO said:

I think Final Outpost calls for something sinister, or quiet and brooding.

As for my other maps - hard to say, could be anything.

Hey! I dusted off some ambient MIDIs I had from like eight years ago. They could fit in the game. Apart from that, I picked up an old rock thing I had and added a guitar solo at the end and created a new ambient song from scratch. This last one (Aug.mid) is pretty cool and sounds quite sinister.

These tracks are somewhat demanding in terms of notes, so I think the Vanilla OPL synth will fall VERY short and will be dropping notes all over the place. So, if you want to, I can simplify them so they can sound better in OPL sacrificing some of the depth of the tracks.

I think I'll be making more songs for the project, so I shared a folder where I'll put them. Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5Vpm2y5MZh6RF9mLTBOUEJLajQ?usp=sharing

Interesting tracks. I'd like to hear "Hold your scream" in Doom 64 for Doom II. Other tracks sounds like Plutonia2/HR2 tracks. They are good but...I always imagined that D64D2 is more Doom1-2ish in music choices.

Still, all tracks are good.

It's coming along nicely. I was wondering, that once some maps have got great progress in them, I could convert them to PSX format as a Lost Levels addon?

Salahmander2 said:

It's coming along nicely. I was wondering, that once some maps have got great progress in them, I could convert them to PSX format as a Lost Levels addon?

*Self plug incoming*

It may be easier to start with mine since they will already be in UDMF and have sector colors already applied. The only PITA will be the textures.

Nevander said:

*Self plug incoming*

It may be easier to start with mine since they will already be in UDMF and have sector colors already applied. The only PITA will be the textures.

As good as an idea as it is, I feel this one would work better, mainly due to the textures and that I won't have to worry about the scripting side of things, just as if it was Vanilla, albeit, without colourised sectors.

Sorry for the radio silence, I've been busier than expected over the last few weeks. Anyhow...

A small preview of MAP02: http://imgur.com/a/kiRzb

Some new images that could be of use: http://imgur.com/a/vSIDz

A batch of pre-converted maps to use as a basis (credit to Maes for doing this): http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=12825348533169674702

A custom title theme, extracted from the main theme: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=40453168886897556109

Guest DILDOMASTER666

MAP01 progress

Nobody told me that this was being done again, on the previous thread I opted for Dark Citadel but now I see someone else is doing it. :(

I would've gladly continued working on it if somebody had told me that the project was being resurrected.

Avoozl said:

Nobody told me that this was being done again, on the previous thread I opted for Dark Citadel but now I see someone else is doing it. :(

I would've gladly continued working on it if somebody had told me that the project was being resurrected.

The version in the OP isn't finished. I made what's there so far but you are more than welcome to pick it up and finish it off on my behalf.

Nice to see progress Fisk and Blastfrog! I will take a look at those graphics and midi when I get a chance by the way.

Sorry for being relatively quiet lately. It's thank to a combination of working on other projects and getting addicted to the new Zelda :P. I'll come back with more updates soon.

Avoozl said:

Hey Avoozl, sorry that you didn't get contacted. Unfortunately picking up a project like this after it has been in progress for so long, and without any way to get in touch with the previous leader, has made it very difficult to reorganize. Multiple people have claimed the same map slots and its just been very confusing. I would have contacted you if I had known you were interested in helping out.

As Nevander has already said, Dark Citadel is open to finish right now. You can grab the unfinished version from the map list in the OP. Just let me know if your interested in picking it up and I'll mark you down as the claimant.

_bruce_ said:

Good to see the project getting a new thread!
Is there a deadline...?

Concerning deadlines, there will be one set in the future (likely more of a "check in" deadline first, and then a more final one later on). Now that I've heard back from all of the previous contributors, things can get rolling a bit faster now.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

While I'm still thinking about it, there is some buggy behavior in The Lair that I have yet to figure out a fix for.

In vanilla, the music plays back incorrectly, but sectors tagged 30 behave correctly. In ZDoom, music playback is correct, but the switch northwest from spawn will lower instantly in the same manner as the key platform just south, which is not intended behavior and makes the map immediately unbeatable without exploits. The offending line uses effect 5 (W1 Floor Lower to Highest Ceiling), immediately south of spawn.

The area in question, offending line highlighted:

These sectors are both tagged 30 so that the switch will descend into the ground and the key will rise up when the switch is triggered.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be glad to hear them. Other than that, this map can be considered "done" as well as In the Void.

I tried to reproduce your bug Fisk, but it seemed to work just fine for me. I tried it out in ZDoom's Doom (strict) compatibility as well as its default compatibility, but both worked for me. It also seemed to work just fine in Chocolate Doom. That is odd though, that switch platform shouldn't move since its already next to the lowest nearby ceiling.

About the music not playing correctly, I'm not entirely sure what the problem is there. I do know that vanilla has trouble with midi tracks that are either over a certain size or a certain length (the music in BTSX E1 MAP15 had this problem). But I wouldn't know what the exact limit is nor how to fix it.

Fisk said:

In vanilla, the music plays back incorrectly

If you mean that the OPL synth cuts a lot of notes, that's pretty common since it can play only 9 notes at the same time total and even worse, many patches have double voices, so that uses two note slots per one note of that instrument.

Also, I advice you and everybody working with music against of converting the MIDIs to MUS as there are some times that MUS conversion add a pause at the end of the MIDI so it doesn't loop correctly or have problems with pitch bends. It's unnecessary to use MUS since vanilla Doom II 1.9 (and maybe earlier versions too) support MIDI files natively.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

A new test midi

CoTeCiO said:

If you mean that the OPL synth cuts a lot of notes, that's pretty common since it can play only 9 notes at the same time total and even worse, many patches have double voices, so that uses two note slots per one note of that instrument.

Also, I advice you and everybody working with music against of converting the MIDIs to MUS as there are some times that MUS conversion add a pause at the end of the MIDI so it doesn't loop correctly or have problems with pitch bends. It's unnecessary to use MUS since vanilla Doom II 1.9 (and maybe earlier versions too) support MIDI files natively.

Good information to have, but OPL synth for me in vanilla and chocolate results in the song playing at partial speed and the drums quickly desync from the lead tracks.

I've updated the map list and music in the OP. And good news! I finally have updates from all authors, so nothing should be up-in-the air now :)

I have also added links to all of the currently submitted custom music tracks. If you want to use a track for you map, just claim it (musicians, if you made a track with a particular map in mind, let me know).

I don't have a set date for the next build release, but it will come soon. I'm mostly waiting on Obsidian's dehacked work so we can fully test those changes. I'll be changing the naming convention for the builds too; I'll be using simple version numbers and I'll include the release date in a readme file.

Da Werecat said:

It simply converts them to MUS internally, so the limitations will still apply in vanilla Doom.

Yep, but I've found that songs tend to be less prone to have problems looping. Pitch bends are still limited to 1 tone, though.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

More MAP01 progress. The map is somewhere around 1/2 revised at this point and I hope to get it completely finished within the next couple of days

EDIT:

EDIT THE THIRD, FEATURING BLOOD KEEP:

Awesome! That Map01 looks real commercial classic Doom sequel. I can feel that I'm located in real UAC base waiting for new...adventures.

I found a problem in terror core in chocorenderlimits it crashes with the error " P_AddActivePlat: no more plats!" but all platforms are needed so i can't delete any.

You're doing a damn good job of updating my map, Fisk. Keep up the good work! May try to contact you about helping with some of my own projects... ;)

Guest DILDOMASTER666

They were included in the most recent test build of the mod. Easy fix if Mek doesn't want them.

Oh sorry Fisk, that's my bad. Those were part of Da Werecat's old map, and I was just merging all of the maps that I had into a new build at the time. I have since removed them from the working build since that map got replaced, and I should have mentioned that. If you can keep the maps using vanilla textures only, that would be preferable. I hope that doesn't throw a monkey wrench into your work, because the shots look fantastic!

If you are stuck needing a certain texture for something, let me know. I'm open to making exceptions.

MinerOfWorlds said:

I found a problem in terror core in chocorenderlimits it crashes with the error " P_AddActivePlat: no more plats!" but all platforms are needed so i can't delete any.

You'll have to figure out a way around it, even if it means altering how it works from the original map. You may want to consider asking for a partner to help you out with the map.