Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TreeSquid

WAD Glitches & Mapping Issues

Hey There, I was looking around and didn't really see a dedicated page to specific glitches and problems others may have so I am creating one!

Feel free to post any bugs, glitches, breaks ect; that you have come across, and hopefully as a community we can fix them together!....and educate people at the same time ;)

I will start with my current 'game breaking' bug. I am in the middle of creating a WAD right now, a few levels deep. My issue seems to be the "exits" of each level, and once having gone through the entire map the exit is the thing to kill you. Happens on every map, every time.

Inside DoomBuilder 2 the maps work perfect! however once they are inside ZDaemon the exit crushes the player, and fires your corpse across the room with force. Has anyone encountered this problem? and more importantly know what the issue is?

Cheers! ;)

Check your ZDaemon configuration? I believe at least one of the strongly multiplayer-oriented source ports has an option that turns Exit switches into Kill The User switches.

Oh nice! thanks for the prompt reply everyone. This would explain my hair pulling haha, I just did what was shown in the photo and all is gravy. :-)

I'm having a problem with HacX. When I load up the WAD and start, it's super dark! It is almost impossible to see anything!

These are my settings. These settings seem to work fine for every other WAD.

Oh yeah, I'm using Skulltag. (Please don't scream at me about it being dead and outdated)
I tested this in GZDoom and it's still super dark

The sectors just have a very low light level, which you can see if you open the map in a map editor. I'm sure that area is dark by intention, representing night-time.

As said above, I think it is just your sector brightness. Looks like its set to 0. I have never used SkullTag mind you or HacX, I personally use DoomBuilder 2 as my map editor, however the setting would be done in the editor and not inside the game. If that also helps.

Were you able to fix the lighting while inside Doombuilder? The only other thing that comes to my mind could be custom textures not loading properly.

VeeTHis said:

I loaded the map up in Doom Builder, and the light level is 96, for some reason!

Why that exclamation mark? I don't see anything extraordinary about it.

TreeSquid said:

Were you able to fix the lighting while inside Doombuilder?

There is no error, the map is meant to be the way it is. And he shouldn't edit an IWAD anyway.

Another possibly dumb question! I made a WAD that is 4 maps long, and I have been play testing and bug checking everyday and things all seem to be in order. Works 100% on my end of things.

However in Zdaemon when I host a server, everyone that joins says it is "visually glitchy". Not sure what they meant EXACTLY, but I am imagining the maps appear as non-textured to them so they get the infinite graphics thing going on.

No idea how I would gp about this one personally...anyone know what's causing this?

Cheers

TreeSquid said:

I have been play testing and bug checking everyday and things all seem to be in order. Works 100% on my end of things.

Did you playtest in ZDaemon?

Yea I built my maps using Doombuilder 2, and everything works fine when I hit the play test button inside the program.

It also works fine for me outside doombuilder and actually selecting the WAD for play inside Zdaemon. Just not connecting players :s If i choose any other wads to play however (such as Slaughterfest, aliens ect.),things seem to be perfectly fine for connecting players.

If the wad was designed for Doom 2 IWAD, it's OK.

Are you sure you aren't confusing ZDaemon with ZDoom when you say you've playtested in ZDaemon? Did you use any floor/ceiling textures (flats, always 64x64-sized) on walls, or walltextures (typically 128, 72 or 16 units high textures) on floors/ceilings in your map? Did you use any additional texture pack that you've added as a resource in Doom Builder, but didn't add to the server? What exactly do you see when you start the server and then join it yourself?

Ya I used the Doom 2 IWAD for everything I have done. So that is reassuring and I am indeed using ZDaemon when playing my WAD. I shall post pics here:

I just used the default Doom 2 resources, and no errors show up when I check for them. All the sectors are facing the correct direction, and I have no walls inside of walls type thing. I am not really sure what to say to be honest.

I hope those pics spark something. The only thing I can possibly think of is ..."Do I have to transfer the Doom 2 resources into my WAD" as the one pic shows.

Cheers

Your screenshots have disproven all of my suspictions. There's no problem in the last one, IWAD resources are available automatically. We need more info about the alleged "visual glitches". Let someone take a screenshot of them if you can't get to see them yourself.

Fair enough, I will set a server up and try to get someone to do just that. Thanks for the assist mate.

**UPDATE** A couple guys joined my game. They wouldn't screenshot, but they said that they are stuck in the walls, and that I appear to be as well. On my end of things everything appears to be normal and they don't appear stuck. It happens on all 4 of my maps apparently.

Either they might be using an outdated version of ZDaemon, or the internet connection between them and you is extremely bad, or your map contains coop starts stuck in walls.

Hmmmm well I will rule out the spawning as an issue, but I don't know. Maybe it is my connection.

A fellow Doom player by the name "RhinoDuck" said I need to make sure my WAD is mandatory when setting up a server and leave the 'OPT' box unchecked. Else resources wont be loaded into the maps. I am just waiting to see if this works or not, and if it does I will post the result.

Cheers

The only thing I can suggest at the moment is..
Node builder: Are you using ZDBSP or Zennode?
Player Starts: remove all player starts and add completely new ones.
~ make sure they are in sectors boundaries and not sitting on linedefs etc.

This stuff really shouldn't matter as the file size should have changed by now, but just to play it safe, make sure to change the file name or at least put an _01, _02, _03 after any update.

Aside from that, just to make sure everyone is one the same page while hosting a game, instead have one of your friends host your wad.

Cheers

Hey there. I changed from ZenNode to ZDBSP - Reject, and left the "OPT" box unchecked when selecting the WAD to use, when hosting a server.....and all works dandy now. Thanks for the help and tips from everyone.