Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Koko Ricky

Doom 64-style homing rockets in vanilla?

Is there a way to trap revenants in small enough quarters that they could attack you in a manner similar to the homing rockets in Doom 64? I feel like they'd be moving around too much and a lot of the rockets would just end up missing, or there'd be too many intervals of them not firing because they're spinning around in a tiny space. I figure that there's probably some ideal size of room, and that a window could open up when you run by, maybe with a midtexture behind it so you don't see the rev. Thoughts?

DEHACKED could be used to create a static (even ceiling-mounted) object that, upon being awakened, would produce a (finite or infinite) sequence of homing missiles with regular intervals of delay between them. The intervals shouldn't rely on monster AI as in Revenant's case, though. Unless the wad was supposed to be played with fast monsters enabled.

The Revenant would have to stand on floor, be restricted to a very small area to move around, and fast monsters would have to be enabled to make him fire continuously while he has line of sight.

Also note that Revenants have a "safe ring" around them where their AI goes "no, let's not shoot, let's move in for a punch instead" but where they're still too far for actual melee combat. As long as the player remains at this safe distance -- not too close to get hit, not too far to get shot -- they can stay near the revenant forever and ever without risks.

(Note: damaging the revenant by attacking it can still trigger a retaliatory missile attack, regardless of distance. Safety is only guaranteed if you don't attack the revenant. Live and let live.)

For a trap, that's not necessarily optimal.

At least it can be solved by putting the Revenant turret far enough away from the area that's accessible by the player.

I tried something like this with imps being in small rooms behind some small open/wait close doors. They were supposed to be like the dart shooters in Doom64, but it took too long for them to fire.. often not firing at all during the time the doors were open.

With dehacked I was able to change the icon of sin to be like the reactors from Descent. When it spots player, it starts shooting.. and when player has destroyed it, it shoots faster to motivate player to leave the room and head for the exit at the other side of the level... before explosions are teleported into the level. The explosion sequence didn't work exactly like in Descent, since they were just undamageable things that moved like monsters and continuously exploded. Then teleported more explosions into the exit tunnel when player got there, so it would feel like player made it just in time before the whole place exploded. No idea if I released it, I only made one level.

Yeah I don't think there's an elegant solution that is pure vanilla. I'm not really into scripting/coding/hacking so I'm trying to work within vanilla (or more specifically, base limit-removing) parameters. I think the enemies will wiggle around too much for it to be effective unless there's a shit ton of them.