Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Back to Saturn X E1

Welp never tried doing a boom demo before. Don't like how I can't play in windowed mode without it being in a corner or even adjust resolution in the menu so I went back to fullscreen. I'm one of those folk who is just too cool to play big new mainstream megawads so I never really played this before. Well, I did play it one time but that was quite a long time ago, I think I was up to map05-12 :p. Followed all command line parameters, and tried changing mouse sensitivity and all for a moment or two during recording though I doubt that shows up :u

Died on Map01. RIP. Not worth showing a demo but here ya go: https://aww.moe/gin6yg.lmp spoiler the arachnotron got me lol

I'm spoiled because I always play recklessly in GZDoom with a resurrect keybind :u

Next time I'll try recording in G/ZDoom where I'm much more comfortable with the right compat level or w/e it is I guess :s

Heh, I get the feeling we're going to see a lot more "Total Exposure" on the death/leaderboard...

I'm not too clued up on demo recording, and I think I might speak for a few when I say I generally play with zdoom (mouse look) and to record a demo for this in boom I'm looking at putting a full day down to clock this wad in one sitting. Is there a way to record 2 or more demos and submit them for this? Also, will a glboom demo be ok cause it runs about twice as fast as regular boom

Another question, in December you guys played jade earth which was pretty massive and quite a tough one. You said to display kills percentage if killed before finishing, how do you do this in a boom demo? Cheers

dt_ said:

Is there a way to record 2 or more demos and submit them for this?

Because BTSX targets vanilla and we're using -complevel 2, there's no way to split up your demo recording, unfortunately. My understanding is that only -complevel 9 allows for the continuation of a previously saved game using the same recorded demo file. With two files you'd have no means of continuing a run without pistol starting from the same map or something, which is too far removed from the rules. Sorry!

Also, will a glboom demo be ok cause it runs about twice as fast as regular boom

glboom is fine, no problems there. I use it myself! I'm not sure I follow you on the increased speed point, unless you're referring to the in-game and demo playback speed which can be adjusted in both prboom and glboom... I think. I can't imagine anyone using those functions while actually playing, and I certainly can't see it being anything but a disadvantage, haha. There are no rules against it, though.

Another question, in December you guys played jade earth which was pretty massive and quite a tough one. You said to display kills percentage if killed before finishing, how do you do this in a boom demo? Cheers

Demos only preserve the in-game movements and pointers and so forth; they don't force the viewer in playback to watch using the same HUD, for example. If you tab out to the automap in-game it would not display on my end. By that same logic, the viewer can change the HUD and view the automap as the demo runs and this wouldn't be an issue. The kill count can be toggled onto the HUD: if you're recording a demo, that question is already taken care of.

As an aside, the kill count is only factored in if you die on Map01 or if - like Jade Earth - there's only one map to play to begin with. It also factors in if you happen to exit a level at the exact same second as another player, since the total time elapsed between levels is the first determiner in ranking players (Nevanos and I both cleared Map04 of Legacy of Heroes in something like 21:40, if I recall, but I managed to snag more kills before dying).

Ah right, so regarding the kills, we would just record a demo as normal and it would be up to the viewer, in this case you, to use a hud mod to check kills percentage, no worries.

When I said faster, I meant frame rate wise; I play and map on a pretty low spec laptop and some maps (especially insane shit like sunder) are unplayable, and for some reason my frame rate in software boom is pretty poor. Zdoom software is ok though, so I may have some kind of frame rate cap set or something.

Shame demos on cl2 can't be split, but it just so happens that I've got the day off today, I'll see how far I can get! Cheers for the fast response

Here it is anyway, map07, got snagged on a rock

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5hl9iwyd22hdaz/dtbtsx.lmp?dl=1

esselfortium said:

Okay, well, I really didn't want to have to do this, but here's 1.1.1. MAP04 (crouching tiger hidden barrel), MAP06 (GZdoom bug in yellow key room), and MAP15 (hoveritems and a W1/WR issue) have received bugfixes. Sorry about demos.

Downloab link is same as usual: http://esselfortium.net/wasd/btsx_e1.zip

For the sake of this month's already-recorded ironman demos, I've kept the previous build (1.1) online at a different url: http://esselfortium.net/wasd/btsx_e1_1.1.zip

If you encounter anything that looks like a bug while playing 1.1.1, please let us know ASAP. Thanks for everything!

Folks can and should use the new version from here out, which I'll link to in OP alongside the old version. Thanks for that, essel! Affected 1.1 demos will be asterisked. Ghost revenant creation on map05 will now be ironman policy.*

EDIT: Oh how about that, it's already taken care of. Cheers!

Alfonzo: can people record demos in ZDoom now? as the final version (as things stand...) is 2.8.1 there's effectively a single version for recording and playback now :D

So, maybe I'm reading between the lines a little too much here, but....has BTSX clandestinely become nastier and more violent since the .99x betas? Should I be afraid?

rehelekretep said:

Alfonzo: can people record demos in ZDoom now? as the final version (as things stand...) is 2.8.1 there's effectively a single version for recording and playback now :D

I'm not sure, yet; perhaps I'll mull it over for next month. The issue is that there's no convenient way to check for compatibility in playback as far as I know, and unlike pr/glboom that there also isn't a great deal of control the viewer has in directing what's on-screen. Someone else can fill in on the details here. Perhaps it's a great idea and I'm just dumb++

Demon of the Well said:

So, maybe I'm reading between the lines a little too much here, but....has BTSX clandestinely become nastier and more violent since the .99x betas? Should I be afraid?

Expose yourself to the possibilities.

Damn it, i'm slipping. map 04

prboom-plus.exe -file .\btsx_e1a.wad .\btsx_e1b.wad -deh .\btsx_e1.deh -nomusic -complevel 2 -record noisy.btsx_e1_v1.1.1.lmp

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v82blnuzgwtcc35/btsx_e1-111-Ironman-7hXX-wh.zip?dl=0

Spoiler

Made it, through the whole thing. Wow, what an experience.... :)
I've been playing for almost 8 hours straight, it's probably my longest Doom session ever... It's 6 AM over here, now my right hand is sore and I can barely keep my eyes open, but man, it was well worth it.

Being a playtester helped a great deal, obviously, otherwise I'd probably still be looking for map15's secret exit... :p
And the secrets are immensely valuable, since the wad is indeed a LOT harder than the old betas. Expect many Revenant surprises :)

There were a lot of very close moments, from the map01 SSG brawl up until the very end. Now I just wanna get some rest :)

Version used : V1.1.1, command line was :
D:\PrBoom2.5.0\prboom.exe -complevel 2 -iwad doom2.wad -file BtSX\btsx_e1a.wad BtSX\btsx_e1b.wad -skill 4 -warp 01 -record BtSX\btsx_e1-Ironman--wh

Woah, nice going, Wilou! I'm bad enough at Doom that I never have to worry about setting aside lots of time to fit these runs in, but for champions like yourself... marathon ironman gigs of this sort will be few and far between, haha.

Get your well-earned rest. Let's see if the old favorites can rise to the occasion :)

congrats wilou.

also,

Spoiler

I coulda swore there was a BFG on map03 with a hidden switch puzzle, but i couldn't find it so I decided to continue instead of wasting time. Just now I went back with iddt and found a hidden door instead. That sucks, woulda helped a lot :(

Just a technicality: it looks like the ironman rules don't explicitly ban iddt, but i assume it's banned anyway (cuz it would help in many situations).

Aw man, I've recorded a demo of me dying MAP04, similar to DaIceMann. The problem on is, I accidentally pressed space after I died and it brought me back to the beginning of the level. I didn't do anything, I just quit anyway. Does that destroy my demo and do I have to record a new one?

Unless it's a death exit and you accidentally restart the level that way, there's no problem. Even in that case the run isn't discounted: the latest level is simply ignored in determining your position. Go ahead and upload it!

DoomLover234 said:

Aw man, I've recorded a demo of me dying MAP04, similar to DaIceMann. The problem on is, I accidentally pressed space after I died and it brought me back to the beginning of the level. I didn't do anything, I just quit anyway. Does that destroy my demo and do I have to record a new one?

I don't think it destroys the demo. For example, you could generally record a continuous playthrough of a wad with deaths in the middle, and the whole thing will be recorded.

you can play the demo back to test it (-playdemo demo.lmp in prboom should do it).

Regarding ironman rules: UAC Ultra had a death exit, so Alfonzo made a clarification to distinguish progressing to the next level while dead, and restarting a level that you are currently on upon death. In the latter case, you cannot continue the run, but there would be no good reason to disqualify the run up until that point.