Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Battle_Korbi

Zombie mods - How come Doom doesn't have a decent one?

Hiyall.

So my main issue is the fact that while other older games and heck, even newer games, have some sort of a mod or a addon that inserts slow-walking, flesh-hungry zeddites into the fray. As a zombie-media junkie, I was suprised to see that barely anyone took opportunity to make a decent zombie mod in Doom. I have scoured and searched the internet, and played whatever mod there was that had a "zombie" and "doom" in its tags.

To be honest, Zombies TC, while old and outdated, amazed me with the atmosphere and the setting, with so many references and enemies (heh), and when I got my hands on Zombies:EEE, I did yet another re-run of the mod, and I really enjoyed that one too.

Blood did a good run with their zombies, and my only complaint was the monotony of the sprites, but still having to make sure the zeddite was dead looked like a good concept to me, a lot of modern zombies die quickly, so that was something refreshing.

Nazi Zombies, a more modern mod for Doom, was a great conversion project of the original thing, but I kinda wished the concepts of the mod could somehow leak and mix into the original Doom maps or something.

There were some one-shot maps that were great, but short. I kinda look up to those to take examples on my own.

So this is my last opportunity to try and find a decent zombie mod or .wad, before I go and try to make my own one. I am asking if anyone has seen a decent mod for Doom that appeals to people like me, and why isn't there one? If there is none but the ones I mentioned up there, that would be it. Then I am going to sit down, learn how to use DECORATE, learn how to replace enemy sprites, and make my own zombie mod.

Thanks for tolerating my shit.

I'd love to make or help with the creation of a Last Rites TC/Remake, quite honestly, the original game is pretty terrible, some great art assets but otherwise boring.

I think the main reason why is because since they are so slow and can't shoot at you, it would slow down the gameplay, plus there are enough zombie games out their, zombies have become overused and boring.

HyperLuke said:

I think the main reason why is because since they are so slow and can't shoot at you, it would slow down the gameplay, plus there are enough zombie games out their, zombies have become overused and boring.

Make more zombies. Make them fast, make them big, make them small, make them do all sorts of stuff. Profit!

Sgt Ender said:

Make more zombies. Make them fast, make them big, make them small, make them do all sorts of stuff. Profit!

That doesn't instantly equal to fast paced gameplay. It requires balance, and more thought than "make this fast big and small."

HyperLuke said:

That doesn't instantly equal to fast paced gameplay. It requires balance, and more thought than "make this fast big and small."

Progress, build up, all that.

I too would love to see a TC based on Last Rites. It had wonderful art, visuals and kick-ass soundtrack but suffered from large, bland and confusing level design and atrocious AI. With some better level design and ditching those dumb squad members it could be a really cool project.