Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

The People vs OJ Simpson. Its a movie if you watch it in one 10 hour sitting. Ever think oh I'll watch 2 episodes before I fall asleep and you never fall asleep?

Voros said:

The lightsaber is also overated. Sure Darth Maul had two lightsabers together like a sceptre of some kind, at least it makes sense as a weapon. But two smaller ones near the handle is just another "it's cool, that's why." There's no tactical advantage of having a lightsaber like that.

It makes sense as a sword guard. I thought it was dumb when I first saw it too.

Son of Frankenstein - For me the Universal Pictures series of Frankenstein movies started feeling a bit tired and samey with The Bride of Frankenstein. How many times is the monster going to keep coming back to life? An unnecessary waste of time, though Bela Lugosi's character is pretty fun.

The Ghost of Frankenstein - More of the same. Monster comes back to life, monster causes trouble, Frankenstein family member has to deal with angry mob, etc. I liked the idea of Igor's brain being put into the monster's body, but that doesn't explain how the monster somehow inherited Igor's exact voice.

Young Frankenstein - As much as I like the actors in this movie, I truly disliked this film. There wasn't a single joke that so much as made me grin. Yes, it was made with a lot of enthusiasm, but it's hard to speak positively about a movie that didn't make me laugh or even smile once. Some of the jokes were downright cringe-worthy. Probably not a bad movie, but the humour really wasn't to my personal taste.

Of all the monster movies I've recently watched, the original Dracula is by far my favourite. The first Frankenstein movie is also pretty good, but it doesn't come close to capturing the mesmerising brilliance of the book that it was based on.

Amadeus - An exceptional film, with superb performances. I don't normally mind long films, but I feel that it did begin to drag out a bit during the third act.

Tron Legacy again, because I <3 every part of it. Plot, visual design, soundtrack. Everything. I have to get the OST someday.

On a sidenote, I also watched Star Wars TFA again, and I think it's the only movie of the saga that has blood in it, albeit barely but it's there.

Voros said:

Tron Legacy again, because I <3 every part of it. Plot, visual design, soundtrack. Everything. I have to get the OST someday.

On a sidenote, I also watched Star Wars TFA again, and I think it's the only movie of the saga that has blood in it, albeit barely but it's there.

Star Wars had a large pool of blood by the Bar Alien's arm after it was cut off, and in The Phantom Menace there was a notable spray of blood when Obi-Wan cut Maul in two. Anakin in Revenge of the Sith was also pretty meaty looking after the Mustafar duel. I can't remember anything else, though.

The Horror of Dracula - Slightly better than the 1931 movie and a lot better than the flawed 90s movie. Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee are both so good in this. The pacing and atmosphere are just perfect.

I remember dracula 2000 being pretty good, it's been awhile so I could be wrong. But nothing quite beats the vegina faced vampires in Blade II.

Arrival

very good. Nice to have a recent aliens from outer space movie without that doesn't end with explosions and laser fights. An aliens movie that focuses on talking and cooperation.

It's one of those movies that you'll probably not see another one quite like it, maybe ever again. But we all know there's going to be another Independence Day or remake of War of the Worlds where it's just a bunch of mayhem

Had a movie day with the family on Sunday, we watched Alice Through the Looking Glass, Ratchet and Clank, and Finding Dory.

We watched Django Unchained last week. Great movie. I dunno if I'd say it's Tarantino's best film (that's Jackie Brown) but it's up there.

Sick Bow said:

Jackie Brown. Any fans out here?

It's my favorite Tarantino movie, and a lot of his I don't like.

Saw Vertigo in a theater, was tremendous.

La La Land

The soundtrack was really good, but I feel like a lot of the story bites were pretty familiar. But the characters and actors were fun to watch, and as an ode to classic cinema it works well. A number of rather neat, interesting shots and camera framing. Ryan Gosling did well.

At the same time, it was kind of a Hollywood circle jerk. I think I might see it again, though, as I think I missed some things. May have a more thoughtful comment later. I also want to pay a little more attention to Gosling, since he will be having a rather center-stage role in the upcoming Blade Runner film. Given that his performance here is being praised, I want to pick it apart a bit.

Knowing (with Nicholas Cage) I saw it without realizing I had seen it before and forgot everything about it even the plane crash. Upon seeing it I then remembered how I watched the special effect of the plane crashing over and over again.

Lost in Space is another one I had seen. I think I enjoyed it more this time around. Netflix told me I should watch it so I did. Probably because it feeds me every kind of space show or movie. I also realized that Meg Griffin's original voice actress is in there. The teen girl that sounds like she is on helium the entire movie.

Knowing was a silly film. The plane crash was beautifully shot, which ironically does absolute loads to de-establish the film and the feelings it was going for. Obviously, the scene was meant to be horrifying, but it wasn't. Similarly, I found the subway crash to be hilarious due to their poor choice of sound effects and framing. The story was fairly contrived, too, but could have maybe worked if approached differently.

Saw "Passengers," and I thought it was okay. It looked, sounded, and acted beautifully. The third act suffers, though, as the core ethical problem of the story gets kind of floor-boarded, and ultimately feels to saccharine. It more or less ended in a fashion that was all too obvious. In some ways, it reminds me of another high-concept scifi story from a few years ago, "Upside Down," which also suffered from a poor (And in that case horribly rushed) third act.

I think I watched "Rings"...

Regretted watching the movie, it was really bad. Which sucks because I liked the old Ring movies.

Clonehunter said:

La La Land

The soundtrack was really good, but I feel like a lot of the story bites were pretty familiar. But the characters and actors were fun to watch, and as an ode to classic cinema it works well. A number of rather neat, interesting shots and camera framing. Ryan Gosling did well.

At the same time, it was kind of a Hollywood circle jerk. I think I might see it again, though, as I think I missed some things. May have a more thoughtful comment later. I also want to pay a little more attention to Gosling, since he will be having a rather center-stage role in the upcoming Blade Runner film. Given that his performance here is being praised, I want to pick it apart a bit.

I've never seen La La Land, But everyone in my family and my friends have seen it and are begging me to watch it. Tell me what you think of it after you rewatch it, you might be able to convince me to watch it. (Wasn't a big fan of musicals, and when I was doing a musical play at school, practice didn't help my opinion towards it. lol)

I'v noticed a sad trend where studios have been beating these more recent horror movies to death, it's a sad thing to see imo. I strongly feel that franchises in the cinema industry that have extended past their due should be logically put to rest until fresh content can be added, but sadly money.

Just saw 'John Wick 2' and liked it.

Gore in movies these days seems to be getting more and more realistic, though. It almost felt like watching some kind of cumulative snuff film.

But as I said, I liked it. I liked seeing that kind of stuff in the Army, too.

There's always good money in regurgitating old franchises for a buck. The TV show Chips seems to be aimed at the nostalgia crowd. Past that, I'm not actually sure what a Chips movie could be about given that I don't believe the old show had any story wide arc.

I'm not sure if I've seen a TV-show based movie that really tops The Fugitive, anyways.

Since Django Unchained I have watched:

Resident Evil: Degeneration - I don't think anyone but Resident Evil fans, longtime ones at that, would be all that interested in this movie, but it's got more going on in the first 30 minutes than the first two live-action flicks together.

Batman Begins - It's been a while since I've watched this, and it still holds up quite well. I think it's arguably one of the better superhero movies out there, because while it's a retelling of the Batman origin -- yes, another -- it's one of the better ones, showing Bruce as broken and depressed.

Blue Ruin - Just watched this tonight. As far as "depressing shit about hairy guys killing people" as a movie genre, I think Logan (which came out today) might have some competition, but this is a brilliant deconstruction of revenge flicks in that the main characters gets his revenge in the first 30 minutes and then spends the rest of the movie trying to deal with the fallout from his derpy amateur-assassin mistakes. The main character is also not at all a masculine beefcake -- in fact, he's kind of a dopey-looking sad sack who manages to look older when he shaves.

Compulsion, which has Orson Welles playing Clarence Darrow. It's good. It kind of splits in half when chubby Orson with heavy eye makeup steps onscreen.

Krull, which left me wondering why an army that has the technology to make weapons that act like laser guns still rides horses and uses torches for light.