Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

Why an imp at the end of a level?

Why do so many exit rooms have a single imp in them? Was there a direct purpose to this? There seem to be many levels that I recall that do this. Does anyone know why this was done so much in the iwads?

I'm aware of that, but what I'm asking is, why did id do it so often?

MrGlide said:

Does anyone know why this was done so much in the iwads?

Perhaps it was to be a sort of last resort to block your path to the exit. Like you can't escape the madness of the map just yet, I suppose. Although, pinkies are way more effective in this regard.

It's likely because an imp isn't a threat on its own unless you're really limping, but it is something solid you can move out of your way. So while it doesn't take much effort at all to get to and you're unlikely to die to it normally, if you're just trying to blindly and / or panickly rush to the exit while something more threatening is on you, you'll just end up stealing the imp's first kiss and then promptly get obliterated for your heresy.

It's kinda the same deal with exit room demons. The breaking point basically comes down to the size of the door ( demons are significantly wider than imps ) and whether or not it'll take a shotgun blast or a super shotgun blast to open your path.

I would assume ID did it as a form of jump scare.

Other people may do it to slightly impede speed runners.

The rest just copy ID cause they don't like a empty room.

Has anyone ever put a barrel instead of a monster in the exit room? Could be funny. And you still get to shoot at something.

Piper Maru said:

Why not a Cyberdemon instead?

Depends on which way it's turned.

Or maybe the forces of evil thought, well he's never going to get this far, putting an imp there to guard the back door should be more than adequate.

Xyzzy01 said:

Perhaps it was to be a sort of last resort to block your path to the exit. Like you can't escape the madness of the map just yet, I suppose. Although, pinkies are way more effective in this regard.

I prefer barons.

Memfis said:

Has anyone ever put a barrel instead of a monster in the exit room? Could be funny. And you still get to shoot at something.

I'm gonna begin doing this now.

(Also Sandy did it first in Barrels of Fun!)

Dutch Doomer said:

Or maybe the forces of evil thought, well he's never going to get this far, putting an imp there to guard the back door should be more than adequate.

This is just more evidence of the spider mastermind being an absolutely terrible tactician.

The imp is just an elevator operator who's supposed to take you to the next stage. After all these tragedies he still doesn't understand why you shoot him every time.

Memfis said:

The imp is just an elevator operator who's supposed to take you to the next stage. After all these tragedies he still doesn't understand why you shoot him every time.

Stop :'(

Let's think a moment.

Doomguy goes toward areas with more enemies, which probably means areas invaded first. The demons are probably moving in the opposite direction of Doomguy: from E1M8 to E1M1.

They are also invading each single level starting from the EXIT room going toward the start of the level (and from there to the exit of the previous level).

The imp left in the EXIT room is just the rearguard of the alien invasion.

It is the demon version of Doomguy.

And of course there's the question of what exactly happens between levels. Further complicated by thinking of what would happen exactly if Doomguy simply activated the switch but left any monsters attacking him alive.

Why not have a crusher that crushes some barrels around you if you don't push the exit switch fast enough, coupled by some beautiful scenery that'll distract players?

MrGlide said:

Why do so many exit rooms have a single imp in them? Was there a direct purpose to this? There seem to be many levels that I recall that do this. Does anyone know why this was done so much in the iwads?

Because there is something super satisfying about oneshot-ing an imp with the shotgun and activating the exit switch as it eats dirt.

:)

The last imp of E1M1 is particularly annoying when you play on Nightmare Mode.

Piper Maru said:

It's defined buttocks can be any marines downfall.

Especially if said marines forget the importance of foreplay.