Find results in...
Guest Mariner

Doom 1 or 2?

Which one is your favorite?  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is your favorite?

• DOOM/The Ultimate DOOM
    • DOOM II: Hell on Earth

If it was designed around the mouse, was it typical to do a setup that had strafe keys where the turn keys would usually be back in the day? I'm honestly having a hard time telling, I'm watching Romero's play in the old visit to id software video, and he's definitely strafing quite a bit, so I guess even if it wasn't the case they were still used to strafing quite a bit. Though I can't find any moment where he's strafing and turning at the same time, so maybe he has a strafe button bound in a convenient location. (there does seem to be a little keyboard turning here and there)

Sandyman once did mention that the game was balanced around pistol start (and Romero's also said things similar to that, and really it makes sense, given that all levels need to be beatable from a pistol start in case the player dies and loses all their items), but since the game lets you keep your items in normal play, it ended up being a little too easy overall.

Foebane72 said:

Id software assumed that people would play the first game first, and master it, before moving on to the next level of difficulty.

Not true. id specifically made Doom 2 to be commercial, i.e. in retail stores to get wider exposure. The original Doom was mail-order only, the shareware version was what most people played without bothering to upgrade.

Well, this was still in the 90's when games weren't completely holding your hand yet. It was a blissful middle ground between hand holding tutorials and arcade quarter draining hard. If you found Doom 2 hard, ITYTD isn't a hard difficulty level on it.

Without Doom II, you wouldn't have:

-The Super Shotgun
-The Megasphere
-The Monster Spawner
-A ton of new textures
-The Chaingunner
-The Arachnatron
-The Hell Knight
-The Pain Elemental
-The Mancubus
-The Revenant
-The Archvile
-The S.S. Trooper (and by extension, wolfendoom)
-The Icon of Sin

Imagine how different the mapping community would be without all of the Doom 2 resources.

Thank God they made this "okay" game.

TraceOfSpades said:

-The Super Shotgun
-The Megasphere
-The Monster Spawner
-A ton of new textures
-The Chaingunner
-The Arachnatron
-The Hell Knight
-The Pain Elemental
-The Mancubus
-The Revenant
-The Archvile
-The Icon of Sin

Imagine how different the mapping community would be without all of the Doom 2 resources.

I just love DOOM II for modding, but the game ITSELF as i said is not very good.

They could remove the baron of hell at least but nope...

Sallan said:

I just love DOOM II for modding, but the game ITSELF as i said is not very good.

They could remove the baron of hell at least but nope...

It's an interesting enemy if used AND placed right.

Sgt Ender said:

It's an interesting enemy if used AND placed right.

All the times i renember fighting the baron was boring, easy to avoid his projectiles and takes time to kill, interesting design with a shitty fight (and launch green plasma balls? c'mon, totally out of place)

Arctangent said:

I'm pretty sure that's fire, not plasma.

Y'know, like demonic green fire.

i dont think it's fire, if is so must be high quality, since it dont disappear into the air fast.

I just assumed it was nuclear waste. You know, like the nuclear waste present all throughout the game? Maybe the Baron absorbed it into himself or something.

TraceOfSpades said:

-A ton of new textures

Yeah, but a lot of UDoom ones were removed, especially computer ones. COMP2? COMPUTE1/2? PLANET1? TEKWALL2, 3 and 5? Never heard of them, sir.

Please don't tell me SILVER2 and SPACEW3 are suitable replacements for all that.

The TEKGRENx series is great though, I really like it... but I miss my COMPOHSO, BROVINE, SKINBORD and ICKDOOR1. Not to mention what they had done to poor SHAWN1...

Yeah, there are those "doom 1 textures in doom 2" patches... but you can't do that in community projects. Mapping for Doom 2 is really hard for me, harder than it should be.

TraceOfSpades said:

-The Chaingunner
-The Revenant

The id guys really should't have bothered... :]

-------------------------

Sallan said:

All the times i renember fighting the baron was boring, easy to avoid his projectiles and takes time to kill, interesting design with a shitty fight (and launch green plasma balls? c'mon, totally out of place)

Check out UnAligned E1M8.

Sgt Ender said:

When I was little I thought it was snot balls they were throwing at me.

Hell, I'm 40 and I still think of it as snot :)

Sgt Ender said:

When I was little I thought it was snot balls they were throwing at me.

shit now i can't stop seeing them as snotballs

TraceOfSpades said:

-The Super Shotgun
-The Megasphere
-The Monster Spawner
-A ton of new textures
-The Chaingunner
-The Arachnatron
-The Hell Knight
-The Pain Elemental
-The Mancubus
-The Revenant
-The Archvile
-The Icon of Sin

While I do love all these things except Archviles which can fuck off as they are so goddamn irritating but I can sympathise with people not liking Doom 2 as much as The Ultimate Doom (as I am one of them) and it is level design as some of levels in Doom 2 were sort of experimental and/or kinda pointless (barrels o fun as an example I don't really enjoy levels like that since that level is the latter)but there are some good ones however for me they are not as memorable as the Ultimate Dooms Level design and the levels of doom 1 were harder imo because of the way the levels were designed not because of the extra mobs or bullshit mobs(archvile)an example for me is E4 M1 where the level is open yet so claustraphobic since you have fuck all room to move so every mistake made is often punished severely. However people who say that Doom 2 is bad are IMO fooling themseleves it just is not as good as the Ultimate Doom IMO

Doom 1 its all about halls and tight spaces, throwing monsters from closets against player.

So Doom 2 monsters made especially for big open spaces, big battles.

On 3/9/2017 at 8:34 PM, untilitdies said:

it's called doom 2 because the shotgun has two barrels

Well then, there's no such thing as Doom 3 since there's no triple-barreled shotgun there.

Moving forward...there are things that I liked about Doom 2:

1) Expanded bestiary.

2) Experimental "fun" levels such as Level 08 (Tricks and Traps), Level 20 (Gotcha!) and Level 23 (Barrels 'O Fun).

3) Secret levels based on Wolfenstein.

4) The super shotgun.

5) The end boss.

Of course, the original Doom wins when it comes to level design and I prefer the hellish atmosphere of Episode 3 than the later levels of Doom 2.

On 3/9/2017 at 4:34 AM, untilitdies said:

it's called doom 2 because the shotgun has two barrels

I only wish for this to hold true for Doom 64...

17 minutes ago, Jaxxoon R said:

I only wish for this to hold true for Doom 64...

We need a weapon mod, stat.

I actually prefer the levels of Doom II more, even the gimmicky ones. There was something to the weird abstract designs that captivated my child mind at the time, and I always felt there was more to them than what the eye could see. I never got to play the later episodes of Ultimate Doom until much later, and I found them lacking in personality. The fact Sandy designed all of E2-E3 didn't help too much and as a result they all just blur together in memory.