Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AD_79

Nova III - old thread, don't use!

EDIT: This post is old and no longer being updated, please use this thread instead: 

Hi all. Welcome to the new thread for Nova III, the third installment in the wad series where more inexperienced wad authors come together to produce a quality megawad, with assistance from the wider community. I'm taking over for an_mutt, who did a great job laying out the foundation for the project. Now it's time to get this train rolling again. This should be fun!

Nova 3 is split into three episodes, each with a radically different theme. Episode 1 is composed of Hell maps, E2 has a jungle/temple/swamp theme, and E3 takes place on the Moon. All of these themes can be interpreted in multiple ways. Be creative!

-------------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOADS:

Nova 3 Resources V1.2 (last updated: August 6th, 2016)

Current Alpha (April 23rd, 2017)

Current maplist:

Spoiler

01: untitled by Tactical Stiffy
02: Calm the Fire by AnonimVio
03: Crimson Hollow by MFG38
04: Behemoth by scotty
05: Blood Eagle by scotty
06: The Crow Comes Last by Angry Saint
07: A Partner of the 49th Day by Kurashiki

12: Dregs of a Bitter Cup by obake
13: untitled by dt_
14: untitled by sincity2100
15: Khmeer Aqul Tan by CWolfRu
16: El Dorado by Albertoni

21: Mare Crisium by Benjogami
22: Lunatic Dais by Finakala
23: Beta Three by dt_
24: untitled by Ethanh59

This will be updated every now and then as more submissions come in.

IMPORTANT INFO:

-Maps are to be designed to work in Boom-compatible ports (PRBoom+ complevel 9). Please test your maps in the proper port (with proper compat settings) to ensure that map breakage does not occur! Testing solely in ZDoom is not good enough!
-There is currently no deadline for submissions. Once we get 32(+) solid maps, I will transition the project into a beta-testing and polishing phase. If we get more than 32 maps, extra maps that don't fit well into the main set will be moved into a bonus overflow episode.
-Maximum of three submissions per person.
-If you need to add in custom textures, please add in a three/four letter prefix at the start of each texture's name. The same goes for flats (for example, I would name my textures AD_***** and my flats AD_F****).
-Secret maps should be something cool and different.
-We are not including a standard "Dead Simple" MAP07. If you can make something creative with the tags, then maybe I'll reconsider.
-Feel free to message me or post in the thread for map advice or feedback. I'm more than willing to help you, as are many around here.
-I will periodically stream alpha/beta compilations to provide additional feedback.
-If you think you're a well-known, experienced author, you are not mapping for this. If you mapped for a previous Nova, you are not mapping for this (unless your name is Obake, who snuck in before I could bar the door!).
-The question of "will there be a Megiddo 3" has been asked before. If there is enough interest as well as a slot for it, then sure!

EPISODE LIST AND CURRENT MAP SUBMISSIONS:

Maps will be ordered within their respective episode later on, based on difficulty progression and all that jazz.

EPISODE 1: HELL (MAP01-11)
-untitled map by Tactical Stiffy - post
-Calm the Fire by AnonimVio - post
-Crimson Hollow by MFG38 - post
-Behemoth by scotty - post
-The Crow Comes Last by Angry Saint - post
-A Partner of the 49th Day by Kurashiki - post
-untitled map by NeedHealth - post

EPISODE 2: JUNGLE (MAP12-20)
-El Dorado by Albertoni - post
-untitled map by sincity2100 - post
-Khmeer Agul Tan by CWolfRu - post
-Dregs of a Bitter Cup by Obake - post
-untitled map by dt_ - post

EPISODE 3: MOON (MAP21-30)
-Mare Crisium by Benjogami - post
-Lunatic Dais by Finakala - post
-Beta Three by dt_ - post
-untitled map by Ethanh59 - post

SECRET MAPS (MAP31+32)
-nothing yet, as far as I know!

Please let me know if I have missed your map or have in general just forgotten something. I'll be sure to add it in as soon as possible.

Alrighty, that is all for now. I look forward to seeing what you all produce!

Edited by AD_79

Best of luck, AD! I'm sad that I couldn't continue carrying things for everyone, but luckily everything's in good hands. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes!

I see custom textures and flats are now allowed does the same go for skies?

^ Hmm, I'd say that each episode should have a consistent sky to help tie them together, so for those, no (I'm looking into finding replacements for the E1 and E2 skies, though. Might look through Mechadon's pack for that. If you have suggestions, tell me!).

Secret maps, on the other hand? Skies can (and should) be added for those.

Congrats on the changey-over-thingy-majig AD! Let's see some more fresh faces for the project eh? Come on peeps!

FuzzballFox said:

Congrats on the changey-over-thingy-majig AD! Let's see some more fresh faces for the project eh? Come on peeps!

Well, I was going to wait to post until I had something started, but if you insist! I'm going ambitious, I have an idea for a secret map to fill in MAP31.

Ok, seems like an appropriate time to present a major map update to Behemoth. Lots gameplay improvements and more cohesive texturing has been applied through the map. I have been working on this map on and off for over 10 months now!

DOWNLOAD: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1fjl5utxl5xmgl6/behemoth.wad?dl=1

Requires only the standard Nova III texture pack.

Please don't be put off by the monster count of 666... way over half of them are in an optional secret (slaughter) area and there's a hell of a lot of imps and zombiemen to rip through with plenty of plasma and rockets, so i don't think the map is grindy. I can get through it all in under 25 minutes if i move quickly. So please do give it a play and share your thoughts.

I did actually make a tyson map with a mere 55 enemies as a 'break map' that could theoretically follow this or something but of course i don't want to hog map spots.

Tested exclusively in zDoom!

Just kidding. Tested in prBoom+ with the only known bugs being some rendering glitches that i don't know the cause of (see below).

Sexy screens:

Spoiler

Software rendering glitches:
Spoiler

AD_79 said:

^ Hmm, I'd say that each episode should have a consistent sky to help tie them together, so for those, no (I'm looking into finding replacements for the E1 and E2 skies, though. Might look through Mechadon's pack for that. If you have suggestions, tell me!).

Ok, no problem. Yeah Mechadon's pack sure is an awesome resource. There's loads of skies that could work to be honest.

^ Looks awesome, man. I'm not too fond of that moldy-looking (the best I can describe it) texture in the last non-render-glitch shot, but the rest is really well put together. BTW, I doubt "hogging" mapslots will be too much of an issue with the way things are going, heh. Would love to see that tyson map!

I'm going to compile a new alpha soon. Planning on having it up in a week, then streaming through it.

Also, excellent screenshots, Scotty! I especially dig the second, cathedral like one.

Cheers Obake. Yeah some areas of the map are perhaps more advanced than others, i defintely learned a lot about mapping through the course of last year, maybe it shows a bit as the map progresses.

AD_79 said:

^ Looks awesome, man. I'm not too fond of that moldy-looking (the best I can describe it) texture in the last non-render-glitch shot, but the rest is really well put together. BTW, I doubt "hogging" mapslots will be too much of an issue with the way things are going, heh. Would love to see that tyson map!

I'm going to compile a new alpha soon. Planning on having it up in a week, then streaming through it.

Cool. Well, textures are easily changed. I kinda know what you mean about that texture but i'll come back to that later. FYI i don't have skill levels fully implemented in my map yet. I'll try to get that other map ready for the next beta, should be doable cause the base layout is done and it plays well enough, just needs detailing.

PS there's two maps in the old thread that are not in the OP here, by dt and needhealth:

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1679446

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1697884

I don't think we'll struggle for maps long term i know MarketAnarchy has something in the works (that might be a good secret map if it's Sunderesque?!), several other people are working on stuff too. I mention hogging mapslots cause i also took over the reigns on an E3 map Eris started! Still a bunch of work to do on that however.

scotty said:

PS there's two maps in the old thread that are not in the OP here, by dt and needhealth:

Added, thank you!

I've seen a bit of Market's map, and I'd agree that it's probably secret map material. Would need to play it myself to be sure!

I made another map aimed at episode 2, I submitted it on the original post. Not sure what the policy is with NOVA regarding more than one map submission but it's there if you want to include it

Edit: just seen the above post

My map was originally intended to be the end of hell, with a Jungle style exit to head out for the next episode.

That being said, it is definitely Sunder inspired and will have 5,000 monsters or so and may not be "main" mapset appropriate.

^ Alright, good to know.

dt_ said:

I made another map aimed at episode 2, I submitted it on the original post. Not sure what the policy is with NOVA regarding more than one map submission but it's there if you want to include it

I don't 100% remember what the policy for multiple Nova 2 submissions was, but I'm going to say for now that any one person can have a maximum of three maps submitted.

AD_79 said:

I don't 100% remember what the policy for multiple Nova 2 submissions was, but I'm going to say for now that any one person can have a maximum of three maps submitted.

Good, I had a few concepts floating around my mind that didn't exactly fit my current project, plus I'm itching to map something that doesn't has a thousand ACS scripts to write. I'll see if I can whip a moon base.

Also, if you'll do a Megiddo later, please call me.

^ A "Megiddo" is a map designed by multiple authors, where each author does a separate area which the player teleports to via a central hub. See MAP30 from Nova and MAP32 from Nova II.

I said in the old thread i'd be happy to try and help co-ordinate Megiddo III if you would like, to try and kick it into gear. Or at least, i'd happily start on the map rather than everyone waiting for everyone else to do something. Let me know AD :)

Suggestions of Map15 were made before and that still seems like a nice slot for it within the context this particular Nova mapset. There were a couple of guys who said they'd be up for contributing before so there is defintely interest and i think once the wheels get set in motion more mapping interest will become present.

I appreciate the offer, scotty! Will keep that in mind.

For Megiddo 3, I'm considering implementing a monster limit for each section to ensure that the map doesn't take too long to play through (especially if it's going on MAP15, which is a great idea, by the way! Maybe the regular exit could open up after playing 3/5 sections while the secret exit would require all five?). What would people say a fair limit would be? I'm thinking 125-150 max per section.

It's not really a Meggido if it doesn't take too long to play through, is it? Both of the previous ones were super epic. Are you sure you don't want to keep that trend and put it as map 32 again?

I'd like to do something different with Megiddo III, so the idea of a slightly more restrained Megiddo halfway through the set appeals to me. Plus, it wouldn't necessarily be "short" or "not epic": 125-150 monsters x 5 == 625-750. That's still a lot of monsters and potentially a lot of play time, plus there would likely be some sort of final fight to further add on.

It also solves the issue of "who's going to do MAP15?" :P

AD_79 said:

I'd like to do something different with Megiddo III, so the idea of a slightly more restrained Megiddo halfway through the set appeals to me. Plus, it wouldn't necessarily be "short" or "not epic": 125-150 monsters x 5 == 625-750. That's still a lot of monsters and potentially a lot of play time, plus there would likely be some sort of final fight to further add on.

It also solves the issue of "who's going to do MAP15?" :P

Maybe for the secret exit we could have a secret in each area with a switch in it, and hitting all the switches opens the way to the secret exit at the end of the map. Just an idea.