Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrFlibble

Any reason not to use Shadow of the Wool Ball for Wolf3D secrets?

Recently I discovered Shadow of the Wool Ball and personally I think it's an awesome game. An obvious thought occurred to me, why not reference it in the Phase 2 secret levels? (provided that the author doesn't mind it) Would it be too blatantly unoriginal?

Please don't get me wrong here. The main appeal of this for me is not to re-use already existing assets created by someone else, but to reference another project created in the Doom community.

If you can talk MSPaintR0cks into releasing the graphics we'd need under the BSD license, I think this would be a good idea.

Big fan of this idea, hopefully he's open to it too. I haven't seen the Wolf3D textures and enemies for a while but if it's still what I think it is they really need replacing.

In case that works out, there should at least be one level which actually uses these things. Currently both of the secret levels are regular, albeit quite hard.

Would be even better to have MSPaintR0cks either donate one of the maps or make an entirely new one just for the project.

If MSPaintR0cks were to give permission for textures then it would be logical to use one of the enemy sprites too, and base the secret levels on the ones from SotWB.

Would it be appropriate to ask in the public thread of the project, or better to approach MSPaintR0cks via PM?

Actually, I think this is a great idea. I've already started on upscaling some textures, obviously they won't go to use without MSPaintR0cks' permission.

MrFlibble said:

Would it be appropriate to ask in the public thread of the project, or better to approach MSPaintR0cks via PM?

It's less a matter of appropriateness and more of a matter of visibility. One is far more likely to know they got a PM or email sent to them than if one of their threads is bumped.

I just sent him an email.

You mean more extra textures in Freedoom? I'm mostly against this as Freedoom already has a substantial moment of textures (most notably Aquatex). I'd rather go with referencing BTSX using the Aquatex textures. Last thing I wish to see in Freedoom are extra textures that barely get used (Aquatex is used heavily in C1M1 and, hopefully in the future, so will the rest).

But if it gets off the ground, how about putting this idea in Freedoom's to-do list? Wouldn't it be a better idea to do this later?

We're not talking about additional textures, rather, replacing the crappy Wolf 3D textures and SS guards Freedoom currently has.

Ooh, saw this thread a few days ago and wanted to post something, but totally forgot about it the next day :D

I feel honored. :3
You can take any sprites or textures that you want for a potential secret level. Maybe I could also do one of the maps... but at the moment I am kind of busy with a newer project of mine.

Some quick and dirty screen shots of doom2's levels 31 & 32 with some quick and dirty SOTWB textures. I haven't done anything about the sprites yet.

Comments? Suggestions?

Yes, these are good.

I was thinking about possibly making the walls 80x80 instead. That divides by 16 easily, so it's really not hard to work with in an editor. This would ensure that unscaled Woolball sprites would look correct relative to the environment, as they already would be correct relative to the viewheight. A wall size of 80 would be perfect for Doom's viewheight of 41 (almost 40, which is obviously half of 80). Woolball's walls are 64x64, and the viewheight is 32.

@luckypunk's texture set should make it in just to replace the awful existing assets, but I suggest that we actually take scale seriously with MAP32. This would mean an extra set of textures, but oh well, it's small. I made a WAD with some converted Woolball stuff in it (Doom palette, removed shadows, adjusted death animation). One thing I did was I made the keens into the hedgehog hostages. In order for it to stay on the ground, there has to be a self-referencing sector above it with the ceiling coming down to create a 72 tall space below it.

Here's my WAD: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=01472829364624111145

On 3/18/2017 at 9:15 PM, Blastfrog said:

Yes, these are good.

I was thinking about possibly making the walls 80x80 instead. That divides by 16 easily, so it's really not hard to work with in an editor. This would ensure that unscaled Woolball sprites would look correct relative to the environment, as they already would be correct relative to the viewheight. A wall size of 80 would be perfect for Doom's viewheight of 41 (almost 40, which is obviously half of 80). Woolball's walls are 64x64, and the viewheight is 32.

@luckypunk's texture set should make it in just to replace the awful existing assets, but I suggest that we actually take scale seriously with MAP32. This would mean an extra set of textures, but oh well, it's small. I made a WAD with some converted Woolball stuff in it (Doom palette, removed shadows, adjusted death animation). One thing I did was I made the keens into the hedgehog hostages. In order for it to stay on the ground, there has to be a self-referencing sector above it with the ceiling coming down to create a 72 tall space below it.

Here's my WAD: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=01472829364624111145

What happen to your wad?

I foolishly uploaded it to a temporary file hosting service rather than somewhere stable like my Dropbox. Sorry.

I'll see if I can find it, but no guarantees.

It would better to make somewhat like homage to SoWB, not putting entire thing into Freedoom itself. Might to work quite well since I don't have any plans to work on Freedoom anymore for now.

If we do go through with this, then maybe Keen could be replaced with a captive hedgehog shackled to the ceiling?

On 2/24/2018 at 11:55 AM, Blastfrog said:

I foolishly uploaded it to a temporary file hosting service rather than somewhere stable like my Dropbox. Sorry.

I'll see if I can find it, but no guarantees.

Did you still had it? Let me know if you had found it. :3