Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

Vanilla Bugs and Fixes

C1M5, position is -1889,967,0. There is some tutti frutti when the lift goes down.

Spoiler

C2M2, there is still certain risk of visplane overflows.

C3M7, PrBoom—now I use the classic software renderer, my usual choice—printed this in the terminal I use to launch it.

This map was backported from Phase 2, so this level should be very carefully checked, to discard possible leftovers of textures, enemies and that weapon and its ammo exclusive from Phase 2.

P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 2306 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef

However, at first sight seems normal (I mean, for PrBoom, software renderer).
Spoiler

But Chocolate Doom don’t think so.
Spoiler

E2M2, in the big room with red key:

Error: R_DrawPlanes: visplane overflow (130)
MAP08 still contains Boom scrolling flats, in the monster caches.

Map08 has some tutti frutti on the outer area section, just outside the blue key room.

Litrivin,

Have you figured out your Yadex build issue? What version are you trying to build? Maybe I can see if I can figure it out.

A blood fall for a lava pool? Strange. Map10.

This rocket in map21 looks like its floating.

Still going. Finally figured out how to put that outside to outside door near red key, while keeping sky area. Had massive seg overflows. Yet another update. All VPOs should be gone, still some HOM and touch ups. Will figure out how to lessen the switchhunts too. One is already nicely solved by blue key.

If anyone actually wants to test, use -nomonsters.

http://www.geocities.ws/catodemos/freedoom/z0k/c2m5_c8_opendoors.wad

C2M9: Make vanilla puzzle. At least its vanilla. More skill based than luck.  

http://www.geocities.ws/catodemos/freedoom/catoptromancy/maps/c2m9_c3.wad

It is not fully finished, but it is 100% vanilla and ready for someone to remake or whatever.

Playtesters needed!(required). Use -nomonsters to go straight to puzzle, rest of map played fine(sorta) and I didnt touch anything else. 

Edited by Catoptromancy

There is tutti frutti, on the platform with that first pain lord.

The two puzzles needed to get one yellow key works properly, at least for Chocolate Doom.

There is still tutti frutti, on the same surfaces. And visplane overflows in the room with many crushers.

Error: R_DrawPlanes: visplane overflow (132)

Map does not have a room with many crushers. Also tutti fruttis are fixed. Make sure map is loading. Entire point of the edit was to remove crusher room.

Href and link text differ, link text says c2m3_c3 but links actually to c2m3_c2.

Confirmed, no tutti frutti and no room with many crushers for c2m3_c3.

On map23 parts of the corpse in the berserker secret leak out of the wall, which does not look good.

The blood trail is sufficient, remove the corpse.

There is still a Boom teleport in the initial room of C2M9.

About the puzzle: It needs some more work.

At first when I teleported into the second room of the puzzle, I thought I didn't really teleport to a new room, just the same one I was in. I suggest adding some different texturing to make the second room more distinguishable.

The puzzle itself is flawed, from what I played. The first room is fine, but the second room isn't. There is no sign that tells the player which way to step and which way not to step, hence I kept getting teleported to the crusher (I'll get onto the crusher later). I thought maybe I had to use the automap to find out the correct map, similar to TNT's map30. Automap didn't show any signs, so that's out. For a long amount of time, I kept trying to find away to get the other side without being spawned in the crusher. Please look into making the real path more recognisable.

The crusher seems flawed too. Upon getting in there and trying to get out, I kept getting respawned at the crusher, no matter which way I try leave. I don't think that's intentional.

The rest of the map plays fine, except for this experimental room.

First puzzle shows player how to do puzzle, second is actual puzzle. Teleporting back into crusher was intentional. Maybe a bit too harsh. With full health, player could get a second chance if they went back to ledge. Just follow white dots, without skipping any. When they double back, dont try to skip any just because they are same distance from each other.

I am done with map. Noone else took up making a new  puzzle. Someone can remake puzzle, remove it entirely. I dont really care. I will finish all the other vanilla conversions before looking at this again.

Freedoom1 is now full vanilla. 

Edited by Catoptromancy

That puzzle is OK and works as expected, confirmed. I think that behaviour of the second crusher is fully intentional as well.

Spoiler

If you enter the IDDT code once, automap will tell you the right path.

That problem had already been listed. I had been thinking that instead of reducing detail, it may be better to remove the stairs and fence off the problem area and instead make the remote operated blue and red doors directly activatable. That may even be better for game flow - I am really not a big fan of remote operated locked doors.

On 3/25/2017 at 9:39 AM, Litrivin said:

MAP02 is not 100% Vanilla. There are HOMs visible from (832, 159).

You can also get a visplane overflow near that spot at (879, 113)

On E1M1, if you go on the top of the mountain and look at the horizon, you can see a HOM. 

gCPTdFH.png

Also, there's a very weird bug on this map. You just fall through the map onto a lower floor. Same thing happens with monsters although they shouldn't be able to go down stairs that are 24 units high. They get stuck into the ground. 

Demo: 

weirdbug.zip

On 18/03/2017 at 0:23 AM, Catoptromancy said:

I am done with map. Noone else took up making a new  puzzle. Someone can remake puzzle, remove it entirely. I dont really care. I will finish all the other vanilla conversions before looking at this again.

i'll handle it when possible atm i'm focusing in map11. (near 30% of all layout done.)

@axdoomer @Catoptromancy

The crack in c1m1 in sector 42 appears to be subsector 163, which is defined by a single seg 373 which runs along the back of linedef 96, making it part of sector 49. In short, there is a tiny slice of sector 49 running through sector 42. How the nodebuilder ended up putting it there, I do not know.

For zennode try using -n2 instead of -n1, I've found in other cases, it can help.

Incidentally, exactly the same thing exists on Plutonia 25 by the stairs northwest of the start position. (link is to a demo)

I would rather just slightly modify the sector than use fancy node options, so all maps are built the same way. Push around vertexes slightly, split sector into two, or something else that is minimal should get rid of problem. 

"a tiny slice of sector 49 running through sector 42" that could be key. Move the vertex a little, and/or add another or two and make the line a bit more jagged. Should force nodebuilder to make it better.