Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZALGO

Slight buyer's problem for half life

I am wanting to get Half Life in order to obtain some of the awesome mods that the game has. However, I am concerned as to whether I want Classic Half Life, or Black Mesa. Do mods still work in Black Mesa, or do I have to get only Classic Half Life in order to play all the classic mods.

The classic game has hundreds of top quality mods. Black Mesa's numbers are nowhere near as large, but there's still some really good ones out there. Half-Life's mods aren't compatible with Black Mesa and vice versa. I'd recommend playing Half-Life before Black Mesa.

Ajora said:

The classic game has hundreds of top quality mods. Black Mesa's numbers are nowhere near as large, but there's still some really good ones out there. Half-Life's mods aren't compatible with Black Mesa and vice versa. I'd recommend playing Half-Life before Black Mesa.

Alright, good to know, thanks for telling me about the mod compatability.

I'd recommend the original version if you haven't played it. I really didn't like Black Mesa. It felt like a mod created to fix a problem (low fidelity) that wasn't a problem. (There were other improvements, but it's not like Half Life was a game with a ton of glaring flaws that prevented you from enjoying it.)

As for mod compatibility, Half Life 1 vanilla is the Rosetta Stone of modding, so there you go.

Aquanet said:

As for mod compatibility, Half Life 1 vanilla is the Rosetta Stone of modding, so there you go.

Please don't let this be true... HL1 has the fatal flaw of using dll's for mods, which make cross architecture mod playability impossible...even with those unofficial engines like [REDACTED].