Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

Quake Champions

That poor eyeball.

If this screen-shot is anything to go by, the design looks great. I don't deathmatch anywhere near as much as I used to but I'm curious how the game plays.

I'm also cautiously optimistic. I've noticed that one of two arenas are very heavily influenced by Q3DM6: Campgrounds. I'm actually happy about this as it's probably one of the best maps for arena FPS combat I've ever played.

I would show screenshots, but the Quake Champions site seems to be giving me a 502 error right this moment.

I'm also cautiously optimistic. The classes approach could go be a nice way to slightly customize your character to a style of gameplay you're better at, or it could totally unbalance every map. It's hard to tell without hearing more details though.

I feel as though the appropriate physics or "weight" for lack of a better term, have been missing from Quake deathmatch since Q1 or Q2. There was a sensation of substantial force that gave those weapons and player movements a more satisfying feel. Ever since Q3A, the models, environments and weapons felt like plastic toys and models duking it out.

Piper Maru said:

That eyeball.

"Watch where you're shooting!"

"You'll shoot your eye out, kid!"

I personally don't really care for multiplayer-games anymore; I guess I'm too old for that. I would love to play another Quake singleplayer experience some day though, preferably one set in the same Lovecraftian universe as the first game.

Judging from the short gameplay-videos, I do think the graphics look better than that of Doom 4, mostly because there's a lot more contrast and a wider colour-palette.

The characters won't be very different from one another, unlike in Overwatch.
For instance, Ranger has the personal teleport ability but no one else does; he will play the same as everyone else otherwise, though.

I'm also cautiously optimistic; the game looks more like Unreal Tournament with the level art (sans giant eyeball) and the overly intricate designs of the weapons, but that isn't itself a bad thing. It could've been a CoD/Halo ripoff like Doom's multiplayer.

i hope those weapon SFX gets an oomph in the finished product: the animation feels pretty stilted and the weapon sound kind of lacked impact.

Well, certainly after DOOM '16's multiplayer, this can't be that bad. Especially since it's actually id themselves developing this instead of some other company they outsourced the MP component development to.

wheresthebeef said:

The characters won't be very different from one another, unlike in Overwatch.
For instance, Ranger has the personal teleport ability but no one else does; he will play the same as everyone else otherwise, though.

I'm also cautiously optimistic; the game looks more like Unreal Tournament with the level art (sans giant eyeball) and the overly intricate designs of the weapons, but that isn't itself a bad thing. It could've been a CoD/Halo ripoff like Doom's multiplayer.

Something tells me they're going to have a "Purist" competitive mode as a kind of failsafe. It's probably going to be Quake 3 with better graphics.

Still, I want to see what new stuff they have in store. Who knows, the abilities might work after all.

Literally bootleg Reaper (Disclaimer: I don't like overwatch.)
What's up with having that stupid "edgy shadows assassin girl" voice? couldn't they think of something actually original?

Wherethefuckismynxandwhoisthishairdyedbitch.

Not my thing if it's just purely PvP. I've fallen out of that realm mostly.

That character screams cheesy and doesn't fit in the Quake Universe at all but whatever...
Im not a fan of overwatch either, guess ill see if they finally throw Machinegames a bone and let them develop a new SP Quake at some point.

Yeah... That Nyx video makes me think that id Software is purely looking to capitalize on the whole Overwatch / "hero game" popularity. Why butcher and mutilate a beloved game-franchise into something that it's not, I will never understand.

At this point, I don't really have much faith in the new id Software anymore. The best thing that can happen to Doom and Quake (in my humble opinion) would be for their licenses to be sold off to someone who actually has an understanding of what those games are all about and what people like about them. But of course, this will never happen since these intellectual properties are pretty much the only reason why id Software is still a thing these days.

/grumble mode

Agentbromsnor said:

At this point, I don't really have much faith in the new id Software anymore. The best thing that can happen to Doom and Quake (in my humble opinion) would be for their licenses to be sold off to someone who actually has an understanding of what those games are all about and what people like about them.

Agentbromsnor, so what was wrong with the new doom, like what did you not like about it for you to say that? I remember how you said something about how you thought the new doom looked bad.

MrGlide said:

Agentbromsnor, so what was wrong with the new doom, like what did you not like about it for you to say that? I remember how you said something about how you thought the new doom looked bad.

1) Graphics suck. No I don't care how high you can crank the resolution or how much FPS you can get; the graphics look uninspired and bland, while Doom 4 was supposed to be more or less an ode to the old games, which were anything BUT uninspired and bland.

3) A focus on gameplay that has no connection to Doom. The large focus on vertical movement feels really strange, especially since none of the other Doom games had anything like that. That's not to say they're not free to try anything new, but I just think that Doom isn't the right franchise for first person jumping and climbing.
Not to mention...

3) The finishing moves. By god, do these get annoying and repetitive FAST. And why, for the love of Satan, do the enemies leave health-drops?? I'm not trying to be a grumpy old fashioned Doomer here, but damn it: turning every enemy into a health-fountain after you kill them really feels like a Doom faux-pas and... I don't like it.

I WILL conceit that it has some good things about it too, however! Like with most big games, it's not all bad. For example:

The music. I think the music is overall a good blend of intense djenty guitars (which fit the cold industrial feel of the game very well) and spooky ambient sounds for the quieter parts in between all the fighting.

I also think it's nice how it's at least more fast and action-packed than Doom 3. You can still carry a big array of weapons (well... at least in singleplayer), which is essential to a real Doom experience.

In summation though: I do think that another company could do a much better job at making a new Doom or Quake game. Especially if it's a company that really listens to the people who buy their games. Something like Machinegames seems like a company that knows how to handle an over the top shooter. Hell; they even created that new Quake 1 expansion not too long ago, so... Why not?

Really not sure about the abilities but as long as there is a mode where everyone is 100% equal I am ok with it.

I do kind of understand them though, they can't make just a graphical improvement and call it a day.

Still, what can you add to Quake that won't take away from its Quake-ness?

It kinda feels like adding new chess pieces or giving existing chess pieces new abilities. We never invented a "sequel" to chess, except for less-popular derivates. Why does Quake 3 need a sequel? Because the graphics are dated? Is a new Quake with better graphics enough?

I for one don't think anything negative of the new mechanics. The reason to add it to the game is because, as evidenced by many other games of late, it works well.

I see people saying "omg it's not quake why is it not quake why is there something new what????"

Well, if there was ever a game series that has been consistently inconsistent. it's Quake. Look at Quake 1 vs Quake 2. Totally different! Quake 2 vs Quake 3? Fuck story, we're going ARENA MODE! Then Quake 4 might as well be a totally new series. Re-word "Strogg" to any weird name of your choice and bam! You got a different franchise, heh.

Let Quake Champions do what all the predecessors have done - make a new game that is influenced from the previous games. :)

That doesn't mean Quake Champions will be GOOD, no sir! It might still be a bad game. But if it wasn't titled 'Quake' would you be complaining about the things being added to the game? I'm willing to bet you wouldn't. :p

MrGlide said:

@DoomRO, I don't think there is anything wrong with giving quake a bit more depth, and I like the idea of this as it will add some neat variety. I'm very interested in trying this out personally. Sadly abilities will only be turned off in custom game modes from what I'm reading. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/quake-champions-boss-confirms-you-can-play-without/1100-6442812/

No...no...NO.

There needs to be a separate competitive mode.