Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Looking for public domain Ultimate Doom episode (Or enough maps to make one)

Development on the notoriously previously dead The People's Doom has grown in leaps and bounds lately, and is looking to slowly begin working to replace the SLIGE maps with decent ones. One thing that needs replacing is the fourth episode, Warworld, which is all deathmatch maps.

Thing is that the two current developers of the project, Boingo the Clown and I, both have absolutely no experience with decent deathmatch making. (I once submitted a map to a 32-in-24 contest and boy did it get negative reviews) We're looking to find or create a good solid 9 map episode of Ultimate Doom deathmatch maps. They have to be vanilla compatible or easily converted to such. If you know of any or are even interested in creating such a thing, we would love to hear from you.

Yeah, but since the project is public domain (currently custom license, though hopefully we'll decide on a more common license if we find a suitable one) we'd need confirmation we'd be allowed to use them. Essentially think of the issue as being in the same boat as Freedom map and content submissions.

The majority of my releases are vanilla, both SP and DM stuff. Type "Doomkid" as the author and search idgames. Use whatever you like!

Thanks Doomkid! Quite a repository of maps you've got there, probably will find the time to test them out soon and see what we like.

Just to clarify - if you guys come across something you kinda sorta like but want to change it, feel free. I'm really not precious about this kind of stuff so chop and change as you see fit

It's better to do DM maps in dedicated DM sets, instead of just tacking them onto a singleplayer wad as a novelty.

Creating good Ultimate Doom DM maps is going to be a very difficult task given there is a single-digit amount of them after all these years as it is, personally I wouldn't waste the time.

hex11 said:

Both of these are vanilla SP maps released under WTFPL (basically PD):

The WTFPL was a bad joke and a bad idea and is similar to but not the same as PD (and I think not compatible with PD). I'd encourage you to consider relicensing! Since PD itself is ambiguous and not legally recognised, I recommend CC0 as a better alternative.

hex11 said:

Both of these are vanilla SP maps released under WTFPL (basically PD):
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/g-i/hex-e2m9
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/s-u/ud94 (E1M3)
The first one is small and could be easily converted to DM (faster lift, thing placement, etc.)
The second one is pretty big and might need to be cut-down.

I forgot to respond, but thanks for the map submissions! While we're not currently working on the campaign fully yet, these will likely come in handy and have a good chance of showing up!

Doomkid said:

Just to clarify - if you guys come across something you kinda sorta like but want to change it, feel free. I'm really not precious about this kind of stuff so chop and change as you see fit

Sounds good! There already are a few changes that will need to be made from the start, since the lack of SSG and Doom II objects is a decent issue that needs addressing.

Marcaek said:

It's better to do DM maps in dedicated DM sets, instead of just tacking them onto a singleplayer wad as a novelty.

Creating good Ultimate Doom DM maps is going to be a very difficult task given there is a single-digit amount of them after all these years as it is, personally I wouldn't waste the time.

While admittedly, I kind of think the same way, the story for the WAD is already set in stone, including level progression. Having one less full single player episode to work on lowers the workload a bit, and introduces the chance for some fun extras that a few people might play around with. Besides, I have some ideas that might make it worthwhile for singleplayer mode, even if it'd be a short side thing.

After some deliberation, Boingo and I are thinking what may actually happen is the IWAD will include resources for it to be loaded as either Doom 1 or Doom 2. Episode 4 would encompass the final chapter of the story, while Doom 2 would be all Deathmatch maps so that the super shotgun isn't left out, the Deathmatch portion is actually significant, and we won't have to do the work on over twice as many monsters.