Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Squonk

DOOM II demos [-complevel 2]

rdwpa said:

What program do you use to keep count?

Also it'd be nice if there was a program that could log total hours spent in prBoom+ over a period, to keep track of time spent running when there are a lot of resets in the first <5% of a run. I'm curious about how long I spent in some of my most hardworked infighting luck roulettes maxes.

I just made a custom batch script that writes the count to a file each time I record a demo. Here is what my script looks like:

set demo_prefix=pa08
set demo_number=01

C:\Games\prboom-plus-2keyoption\prboom-plus.exe -complevel 2 -iwad doom2 -skill 4 -warp 8 -record %demo_prefix%%demo_number% -levelstat -nomusic

set filename=%demo_prefix%.count
set count=0
if exist %filename% (
  set /p count=<%filename%
  set /A count += 1
) else (
  set count=1
)

echo %count% > %filename%

exit
I'm not too familiar with batch scripting, but if there is a some functions to measure time or program execution, it could be possible to give an estimate for the total hours per run. Dunno if there is a way of logging in-game time without building a custom version of PrBoom+ or reading memory locations used by PrBoom+. I don't think it saves any info on that unless a map is actually completed and -levelstat is used.

Thanks! I keep using the keyboard-only control, and my key configuration is close to standard. Implementing lots of Strafe50 helps me to optimize my movement (for example, my "above-normal" straferunning ratio in NS10-146 is 39%).

Another cool vid ZeroMaster and seemingly lots of funny new details like the preemptive shot at the cybie at end of map 10 ^^ ..However, why is 01-006 a " :) " ?

PanterD2S said:

Another cool vid ZeroMaster and seemingly lots of funny new details like the preemptive shot at the cybie at end of map 10 ^^ ..However, why is 01-006 a " :) " ?

I think 01-006 being a ":)" is because I never would get a 5 there when I did this run before, hell I didn't even reset on a 7 when I did 30uv2303, but with most maps I've adjusted what times I would be happy with since then (seeing a ":))" on 1:53 for map 17 in 30uv2303 is a bit funny now). I'd say I could get 5 seconds about 15% of the time now, so at this point you're right that 01-006 shouldn't be ":)" anymore, it's just always been that way.

Thanks!

Very nice run. Pity about the ending.

I wish there was more competition in this category (big props for your persistent work single-handedly pushing down the time more than 16 minutes compared to the previous record holder). The routes look good, but it seems there's still a lot of time to be saved by optimizing weapon use (you have a lot of spare rockets and cells most of the time).

Has anyone attempted a "theory TAS" (basically a segmented run of the normal route with normal play but no mistakes) to see what kind of time might be possible? It would also be nice to see an optimized built TAS, though obviously that would be an absurdly hard project. I guess Azuruish's 55:57 TAS falls somewhere in between...

Thanks. I got a 1:26:20 doing a segmented practice run before this session of attempts, and it wasn't that great, so I'm assuming a 1:24:XX would be possible with these routes with perfect RNG. I'm going for a 1:27 at least for the moment, though, but we'll see where things go.

Cyberdemon531 said:

&

Heh, got hyped @ Map04. "Is it going to be sub1min? Looking good... looking good!"

And lol at the revenant in the map06 elevator. Close call. I thought it was alive, so it made me wonder how it died. Now I know :D

doom 2 nightmare in 22:35, 21 second improvement.

This demo was done in crispy doom v3.2, I wanted to stream at 60fps so I will probably use it for when I stream instead of cndoom.

I've come up with something pretty cool for map 27 and I do both RJ's on map 29 now. A couple of other things I planned to do was to skip the megasphere on map 06 and RJ on map 22, but couldn't do so here.

Several maps were terrible and several maps were very good, 20 seconds saved on the last 2 maps, 10 seconds lost on the first 10 compared to 30nm2256.

30nm2235.zip

7 ok, went wrong maybe a bit (not that I ever tried this RJ^^) but 29 & 30 really seems close to perfect now - well done (again) from here too ;)

...anyone still competing with you here?^

2 hours ago, PanterD2S said:

7 ok, went wrong maybe a bit (not that I ever tried this RJ^^) but 29 & 30 really seems close to perfect now - well done (again) from here too ;)

...anyone still competing with you here?^

Hi PanterD2S! I missed the fact you registered almost a year ago, and even posted in this thread! Welcome to the forums! (I assume by your nick you're the person who, among other feats, was the first to beat Entryway in < 6 seconds?) Feel free to share your stories if you have time... Some old topics: if you haven't read them yet, they may be of your interest:

PS You don't know me as I joined as late as in 2007

eLim was actually very close to beating my previous time of 22:56, I think his best time is 23:00 and he's had a couple of runs die on map 29 that have been better. So might not even be that long before it goes further down.

I just read the thread from Anthe that you linked vdgg, the comment by Henning regarding 30nm also applies to runs done by him and stx-vile now I suppose :) "In retro perspective its actually funny how the d2 fullgame run (nm) got *over complicated* in the early days. The tactic\routes used in the 90s were abit less tuned into towards what the skill level really required. Alot *harder* than the lame work-around routes\tactics used today :-)" Of course tricks like lv14 wallrun weren't simple discoveries, but it makes the level much easier today.

I'd pick those "harder, over-complicated" tactics anyday just so I can evade incorporating those "lame" pixel precision requiring tricks.

(I assume by your nick you're the person who, among other feats, was the first to beat Entryway in < 6 seconds?)

...and e1m1-009 (which has been voted nr.7 top speedrun worldrecord on youtube for some reason^^ ) and did the first 2 legal 30nm´s...and soon discovered I need a real life or I gonna have to go on with this forever ;) So I completely stopped Dooming, the only way I could manage to get away from this insanity.  Well now Im close to 40 and really had a RL (guess enough for 3 lifes), but some struggling with health always and I never really stopped loving computergames.   So I sneaked in here (and to youtube, facebook, and all those stuff people do nowadays) to see whats going on, and Community somehow grew alot - its unbelievable.  And especially zeromaster who I kinda follow most here always puts a smile on my face, with each new improvement of "my" run :D

And I dont find the actual runs lame at all - Its just getting all a lot easier when you know how to do shit (like often in life) -  I enjoy small things you might only discover when you went through that struggle yourself once, but also this mindblowing shit which "never thought being possible" you guys invented to make it look "lame" (love the jumps in 14,29,...).  Lets say I know where to fast forward these runs to still get excited ;)

Zeromaster is truly skilled and can devote himself 150% to a certain task - I never played Doom 2016 myself at all but I guess thx to him I know some boss tactics very well already ;)  - simply love to watch this guy, you always get highest quality possible...

wtf is Elim? ^^  Anthe, Henning,...those are the ones I remember emailing about the first 30nm route´s - but i tend to write to much, sry.  (Granpa´s got more stories now than skill I guess ;))

Oh, Panter! :P Very nice to see you here! I've only seen your demos and read some (if not all) of your text-files, lol. Always liked your runs, and how your (and the community's) overall skill got better in the 90s. Cool!