Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

Quake Champions

As for me, it's very simple - if it's real Quake I will play it. I dont want to look back at previous games, because now it's only past. Only thing I really need is right feelings from gameplay.

Trycon said:

Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Have they said anything about modding?

I doubt this will happen, apparently the game is running on an engine developed by Saber int (also may or may not include Vulkan API).

All 4 Quake games have been hugely different from each other, so Quake Champions being unrelated to the previous games was alright with me.

I can see the Overwatch comparisons, but aside from the abilities, it's pretty much Pickup gun, run around, kill, like Q3A.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

More Nyx Gameplay:

Haha, incredible... There's nothing that says Quake more than player-characters with overpowered hero-abilities, am I right?

Ugh.

I think they should add a vision mode that turns everything blue and then highlights all the important stuff with orange (enemies, ammo pickups etc.) then I think will be be goty.

And the decline will be complete as quake's corpse will lie raped in a ditch.

illuknisaa said:

I think they should add a vision mode that turns everything blue and then highlights all the important stuff with orange (enemies, ammo pickups etc.) then I think will be be goty.

And the decline will be complete as quake's corpse will lie raped in a ditch.

Wow, you sound exactly like a /v/ sperg.

Agentbromsnor said:

Haha, incredible... There's nothing that says Quake more than player-characters with overpowered hero-abilities, am I right?

Ugh.

Yeah. Because you can totaly guess how OP a move is without knowing anything else about the game and its heroes.
Am i right?

Ugh.

People seem to be tripping out over this. One of the things I'm worried about is hitboxes, but we'll have to wait and see.

jazzmaster9 said:

Yeah. Because you can totaly guess how OP a move is without knowing anything else about the game and its heroes.
Am i right?

Ugh.

It's a hero-game... That says it right there.

Agentbromsnor said:

No, that doesn't say anything. Just from the trailers we can see it's still very much quake. What I want to know is will therre still be strafe jumping. I've not seen anyone strafe jumping yet.

MrGlide said:

No, that doesn't say anything. Just from the trailers we can see it's still very much quake. What I want to know is will therre still be strafe jumping. I've not seen anyone strafe jumping yet.

I guess you must have played a different Quake growing up, because what I saw in that trailer looked slow and nothing like the Quake I know.

This new Quake looks more and more like an updated Q3 for all the old players to jump on and to attract new players to the arena shooter style of MP FPS. I played a decent amount of Q3, but as I got older I appreciated UT more. Still, what a time to be alive. We're getting a new Q3 style game, and a bunch of other retro series have been coming back in droves. (like UT!)

Agentbromsnor said:

In summation though: I do think that another company could do a much better job at making a new Doom or Quake game. Especially if it's a company that really listens to the people who buy their games. Something like Machinegames seems like a company that knows how to handle an over the top shooter. Hell; they even created that new Quake 1 expansion not too long ago, so... Why not?

Machinegames? Fuck no.

While I'm sure they're awesome people and fans of the series, I hope they never, ever lay their hands on DOOM or Quake because I absolutely hated their Wolfenstein game. Granted, I'm not a huge Wolfenstein fan or anything, but I have played them all, and this game is slow, terribly optimized, ugly, awkwardly paced, has corny and forced character interactions, and overall just feels like the exact kind of thing Hollywood would do to it if they were to make a Wolfenstein film. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Every time I saw BJ with his big puppy dog eyes or doing a monologue about an overly forced sad past story in his best gruff sad buff man voice I wanted the game to hurry up and end.

As least DOOM manages to still feel like DOOM in my opinion. It's fast, loud, and violent as all fucking hell. There are demons coming out of the walls and ceilings and floors and it's my job to blow them all away! How is that not DOOM? It feels good to tear demons apart with your weapons (or hands) in that game, and I fail to see how it's not DOOM anymore because they added some verticality. Also, you don't have to use the glory kills, you can even turn off enemy highlighting. Now you can completely ignore them if you so choose.

Agentbromsnor said:

Ohh its one of those "Eww Modern games" type of deal.

I mean Quake 2 was slower gameplay wise than Quake Champion.

Even the gaming world has Hipsters now ugh.

Looks pretty awesome, even though the blood graphics is a bit iffy (looks like velvet to me). Still, it's Quake to me. The only other thing I can complain about is the simple Quake 1-style logo. Why don't they try a fancy one like Quake 3 Arena's logo? Seeing that it's its spiritual successor, based on these trailers.

jazzmaster9 said:

Ohh its one of those "Eww Modern games" type of deal.

I mean Quake 2 was slower gameplay wise than Quake Champion.

Even the gaming world has Hipsters now ugh.

Yeah, because if you don't enjoy MOBAs you have to be a hipster.

I guess the guy who made Call of Doom is also a hipster now, because how dare he not like typical modern game-tropes.

CARRiON said:

This new Quake looks more and more like an updated Q3 for all the old players to jump on and to attract new players to the arena shooter style of MP FPS. I played a decent amount of Q3, but as I got older I appreciated UT more. Still, what a time to be alive. We're getting a new Q3 style game, and a bunch of other retro series have been coming back in droves. (like UT!)

Machinegames? Fuck no.

While I'm sure they're awesome people and fans of the series, I hope they never, ever lay their hands on DOOM or Quake because I absolutely hated their Wolfenstein game. Granted, I'm not a huge Wolfenstein fan or anything, but I have played them all, and this game is slow, terribly optimized, ugly, awkwardly paced, has corny and forced character interactions, and overall just feels like the exact kind of thing Hollywood would do to it if they were to make a Wolfenstein film. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Every time I saw BJ with his big puppy dog eyes or doing a monologue about an overly forced sad past story in his best gruff sad buff man voice I wanted the game to hurry up and end.

As least DOOM manages to still feel like DOOM in my opinion. It's fast, loud, and violent as all fucking hell. There are demons coming out of the walls and ceilings and floors and it's my job to blow them all away! How is that not DOOM? It feels good to tear demons apart with your weapons (or hands) in that game, and I fail to see how it's not DOOM anymore because they added some verticality. Also, you don't have to use the glory kills, you can even turn off enemy highlighting. Now you can completely ignore them if you so choose.

Wolfenstein 3D has always been a silly tongue in cheek game, so I fail to see why that's a bad thing. If you want a more 'serious' Wolfenstein experience you can just play RTCW.

Loud? That's another term for 'obnoxious', which isn't something I personally associate with Doom. I guess you're a Brutal Doom player, because the glory kills never felt 'good' to me. Rather, it feels like I'm playing a shooter game where someone keeps interupting me with short unskippable QTEs. Also, the whole "you can turn it off" argument doesn't really work when the game is so obviously built around that mechanic. It shouldn't have been there in the first place, and it shouldn't have been such an easy game from the start.

I thought the new wolfinsteins were badass, but then again, machine games seems much more fit to do single player games as it was formed from originally members of starbreeze (Butcher Bay). I remember there was a multiplayer release with dark athena, the multiplayer was ass.

I think RTCW is still the better Wolfenstein game, I can keep replaying it and never tire of it.

Avoozl said:

I think RTCW is still the better Wolfenstein game, I can keep replaying it and never tire of it.

That game is cheap and unfair as all hell even on normal difficulty thanks to the plethora of bullshit enemies, I'm amazed how much cheesing and exploiting is needed later on to get through it.

Agentbromsnor said:

Wolfenstein 3D has always been a silly tongue in cheek game, so I fail to see why that's a bad thing. If you want a more 'serious' Wolfenstein experience you can just play RTCW.

Loud? That's another term for 'obnoxious', which isn't something I personally associate with Doom. I guess you're a Brutal Doom player, because the glory kills never felt 'good' to me. Rather, it feels like I'm playing a shooter game where someone keeps interupting me with short unskippable QTEs. Also, the whole "you can turn it off" argument doesn't really work when the game is so obviously built around that mechanic. It shouldn't have been there in the first place, and it shouldn't have been such an easy game from the start.

There's a difference in my eyes between "silly tongue in cheek" and "incredibly cheesy and forced".

Are you implying the original DOOM isn't a loud game? Guns blasting, metal blaring, demons roaring? And no, I've tried Brutal DOOM a grand total of 1 or 2 times, and don't care to support the author's work in any way. People also seem to be beating the game without using the QTEs just fine, so I really fail to see how the game is built around them. Plus, they last like 2-3 seconds dude.

But whatever, if you didn't like it that's obviously down to your personal taste, I had a blast with it and for the first time in a while I was smiling ear to ear playing it, and I'm a tough person to satisfy when it comes to my games. The one thing I didn't like about it was the lack of mod support. That's the only thing that bugs me. But for a new DOOM game, they delivered all I could ask for. Guns, demons, gore, and a loud soundtrack.

It's just the thought of MachineGames doing to Quake what they did to Wolfenstein that made me gag.

I think this thread's derailing pretty heavily, heh.

Carrying on with aforementioned derailment:

Agentbromsnor said:

I guess you must have played a different Quake growing up, because what I saw in that trailer looked slow and nothing like the Quake I know.

Did you miss the whole part where Quake is always different than the last iteration? I'm willing to bet that if this game was announced in 1999 you wouldn't be complaining but rather jumping up and down with excitement. "Oh wow a new quake game! Holy shit look at that she went invisible that's awesome!".

We're all turning into spoiled little shits when it comes to video games. Some more than others.

Dragonfly said:

We're all turning into spoiled little shits when it comes to video games. Some more than others.

I agree, but Prepare for the screeching to commence.

Dragonfly said:

With the sheer volume of games coming out now, we can afford to be.

Agentbromsnor said:

Yeah, because if you don't enjoy MOBAs you have to be a hipster.

I guess the guy who made Call of Doom is also a hipster now, because how dare he not like typical modern game-tropes.

To dislike it is one thing, but to generalize all modern games as objectively bad is Hipster mentality.
The game is not even out yet.

I don't like MOBAS but I don't know know what QC has to offer yet.

Dragonfly said:

It might still be a bad game. But if it wasn't titled 'Quake' would you be complaining about the things being added to the game? I'm willing to bet you wouldn't. :p

Dragonfly, I totally agree with you on that and allow me to say that this is a huge topic.

Here is what I think. I first saw Wolfenstein get rebooted and was a bit happy, but I didn't care much (haven't played any Wolfenstein games besides the 2009 one). Then came Doom. My heart was pounding, seeing the trailer of my favourite game, which was rising from the dead once again. The only thing I didn't like was the typical console-like multiplayer of Doom, but I am fine with its singleplayer, so I don't really care about that.

Then, the younger brother arrives. I saw the two trailers of Quake Champions and I was very happy that the "Holy Triad of Shooters" was going to be complete. I also saw Worthabuy's video on the matter, which was mostly negative. Don't get me wrong, I like Quake as much as Unreal Tournament and this new installment could turn out to be one very fun experience. However, Quake had a formula that made it one of the most balanced games ever, if not the most balanced. And I'm ok with some minor changes (the new Doom had many new weapons), but adding abilities greatly affects gameplay and the dynamic of the game. The new id most likely added them to get "a piece of the cake" called hero shooters, which for me is unacceptable. It's like wanting to attract new customers by taking a dump on your already loyal ones.

As you said, if it wasn't named Quake, there wouldn't be a problem here and the devs could freely add whatever they wanted in their game. This happens all the time (for an example see Metal Gear Solid 5 or Diablo 3). However, every id software game has a legacy, which the new devs need to preserve, in my opinion. So even with the similarities with the original games, I don't think this game will bear Quake's identity. Overwatch, Paladins and TF2 are fun games to me, but they are very different compared to id's older games.

Having said those things, I hope that I am wrong, that the gameplay stays the same at its core (arenas, rocket jumping, strafe jumping, different ammo pickups e.t.c.) and that the new Quake will be a worthy successor. I myself will be buying the new Quake or trying a demo to see if it's good and as for the rest, time will tell.

P.S.: XRAY should be used only for medical reasons, not in games. It's disgusting in games and I can say I got "triggered" when I saw it in the trailer!!!