Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

DooM_RO said:

I think GZDB does that automatically.

Yes it does. It's indicated by your Sidedef count at the bottom right turning red.

If you load up your map in Slade and look at the Sidedef lump you can see actually how many Sidedefs you're left with (and therefore how close to the limits of the map you actually are).

I was just meaning 66.5K Sidedefs isn't something to worry about. I've seen maps with over 85K Sidedefs work fine in the vanilla map format thanks to GZDB's Sidedef compression.

Bauul said:

Yes it does. It's indicated by your Sidedef count at the bottom right turning red.

If you load up your map in Slade and look at the Sidedef lump you can see actually how many Sidedefs you're left with (and therefore how close to the limits of the map you actually are).

I was just meaning 66.5K Sidedefs isn't something to worry about. I've seen maps with over 85K Sidedefs work fine in the vanilla map format thanks to GZDB's Sidedef compression.

Aaaaah, I see. Thanks a lot!

EDIT:

Weird, in Slade it shows only 6355

That's the real number of them after the compression. It's quite an efficient compression.

scifista42 said:

That's the real number of them after the compression. It's quite an efficient compression.

Well I was getting really awful collision errors until I switched to ZDBSP. No errors ever since the switch.

DooM_RO said:

Well I was getting really awful collision errors until I switched to ZDBSP. No errors ever since the switch.

Were you using ZenNode before? Those errors were likely down to you hitting the Segs limits, not the Sidedefs. ZDBSP and a few other Node Builders support Extended Nodes, which allow for more than the standard 65,536 Segs.

You might find this useful. I wrote it a few months back to explain the various geometry limits you're likely to hit as your map gets bigger. You're up to category 4 of the limits.

Bauul said:

Were you using ZenNode before? Those errors were likely down to you hitting the Segs limits, not the Sidedefs. ZDBSP and a few other Node Builders support Extended Nodes, which allow for more than the standard 65,536 Segs.

You might find this useful. I wrote it a few months back to explain the various geometry limits you're likely to hit as your map gets bigger.

Yeah, I think it was ZenNode.

You should post that in the editing forum.

a little taste while i test with brutal doom (since a lot of people play with it.)

hoping to produce a 12 map (theyre huge and excruciatingly taxing) megawad. realistic (ohhhh noooo), satanic, psychedelic, hard, fast, lots of puzzles. most people probably wont like it. Thats okay, im looking to make something of a treat for those that enjoy something different while blowing demons to pieces.

http://imgur.com/a/mQXIS

heres an album of the wad that will be in the works until i die. so expect it out in the next....i dont know, 30 years?

if anyone would like to test it, lemme know!

Tidying up my old Freedoom MAP01 (removed in Freedoom 0.11) for independent release as a "director's cut"

cortlong50 said:

a little taste while i test with brutal doom (since a lot of people play with it.)

http://i.imgur.com/jxxb2Urh.png
http://i.imgur.com/lhYX3uth.png
http://i.imgur.com/R6108zs.png

hoping to produce a 12 map (theyre huge and excruciatingly taxing) megawad. realistic (ohhhh noooo), satanic, psychedelic, hard, fast, lots of puzzles. most people probably wont like it. Thats okay, im looking to make something of a treat for those that enjoy something different while blowing demons to pieces.

http://imgur.com/a/mQXIS

heres an album of the wad that will be in the works until i die. so expect it out in the next....i dont know, 30 years?

if anyone would like to test it, lemme know!

I like the look of that, a lot!

scifista42 said:

Why doesn't GZDoomBuilder show the real number then?

I am working on a WAD that isn't too bad and it is purely vanilla, all original doom 2 textures from the original IWAD, however, this is my first full wad. I am yet to make something actually decent, it was only a month ago I figured out how to make lifts and switches and lower/raising platforms. I'll post pictures when I can, as of the time of this reply I am currently at school so theres no chance I can get a picture.

DooM_RO said:

Why doesn't GZDoomBuilder show the real number then?

GZDB doesn't know how many Sidedefs you have until it compiles the Nodes (and runs the compression), which happens only when you save. As soon as you change anything, that number would be out of date.

I guess GZDB could show it temporarily somewhere when you save.

Perhaps pop over to the GZDB BugFix forum over at ZDoom and ask?

Edit: Thinking about it more, given that GZDB lists Sidedef count in realtime (regardless of saving or not) that suggests it's capturing the Sidedef count from the map itself, not the Sidedef lump. So it's not like it has the data to hand. I suspect the compression was a custom bit of coding slotted into the Save process, and isn't an integral part of the program.

Title: "Orange juice"

Project it is for: "Tangerine nightmare" (A project over at the doom french community)

Release: Soon (for the map at least). As to when you will be able to play it? That, I dunno :p

Jaska said:

Experimental city architecture:

http://i.imgur.com/faEsEBU.png

I love that stuff. I'd love to try and encode some of those geometric "rules" into some WadC and try some generative stuff. I have been considering doing some kind of texture processing (like edge detection) to try and autoamate generative architecture.

Two basically finished maps for doom 2, the second one uses two textures from Bloodstain which Pipicz has kindly allowed me to use:

There's gonna a few deaths for a few first tries I bet for some at this first fight, since it can be really chaotic (after entering the funky castle UAC headquarters, though I guess you could always retreat outside, or try picking a few guys off through peeking windows to help with it (manual in-gameplay difficulty reduction even though difficulty settings already implemented :s)).

Making this map is pretty hard, which I guess stems mostly from the different approach I'm taking to it. It's stepping some out of my comfort zone and it scares me :/
I don't want to host a public thread about it though so I'm thinking right now of PM'ing a few seemingly random folk to play-test it whenever it's done maybe. This map has a couple of puzzles I'm planning for it and I hope most will like them.

Holy fuuuu, they're beautiful. I'd love to make use of them. If there a texture pack around for download or did you compile them yourself? :)

I googled Shadow of the Colossus textures and found this:

https://youtu.be/QBzX_Q7xHic

There's a download link and password at the  description. There were also  ICO textures at youtube in a video like this one, they fit well together. 

I've compiled one texture wad for each game, but they're a bit messy and don't include textures I didn't like. I can upload them, though.

@Darch thank you for the link, appreciated. I think I'd personally benefit from having the pre-compiled WADs that you've made yourself - I believe that'd be the difference between me actually using them and not. :P Credit would be given accordingly.

On 24/03/2017 at 8:19 AM, Dragonfly said:

@Darch thank you for the link, appreciated. I think I'd personally benefit from having the pre-compiled WADs that you've made yourself - I believe that'd be the difference between me actually using them and not. :P Credit would be given accordingly.

@Dragonfly here they are:

Shadow of The Colossus textures: http://confrariadacosta.com.br/doom/SOTC.wad

ICO textures: http://confrariadacosta.com.br/doom/ICO.wad

Have fun!

I'm definitely not as skilled as anyone here but yeah here's my stuff. They are still a WIP as you will probably be able to tell.

Spoiler

MAP01

1.JPG.f1d8ea81f0a28819806eee502cba2568.JPGScreenshot_Doom_20170326_115240.png.1dbcebba1132dea8a73e69f8508d465b.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170326_115459.png.d424f0b48c13a4bb626ab62fdaa12c10.png

Spoiler

Probably the map in need of the most work MAP02

Screenshot_Doom_20170326_115657.png.50d1279a65eb2b1acf3ecf30507b1ec5.png

Spoiler

MAP03

2.JPG.2840456a4de0ba6b2e14e74e79f9d16c.JPGScreenshot_Doom_20170326_115840.png.2cbf8e413f23f54d443fc519dd56af5f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170326_115744.png.9b04799cbfe5b1db04d2f63a47e29ca7.png

17 minutes ago, sauerking said:

I'm definitely not as skilled as anyone here but yeah here's my stuff. They are still a WIP as you will probably be able to tell.

Reveal hidden contents

MAP01

1.JPG.f1d8ea81f0a28819806eee502cba2568.JPGScreenshot_Doom_20170326_115240.png.1dbcebba1132dea8a73e69f8508d465b.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170326_115459.png.d424f0b48c13a4bb626ab62fdaa12c10.png

Reveal hidden contents

Probably the map in need of the most work MAP02

Screenshot_Doom_20170326_115657.png.50d1279a65eb2b1acf3ecf30507b1ec5.png

Reveal hidden contents

MAP03

2.JPG.2840456a4de0ba6b2e14e74e79f9d16c.JPGScreenshot_Doom_20170326_115840.png.2cbf8e413f23f54d443fc519dd56af5f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170326_115744.png.9b04799cbfe5b1db04d2f63a47e29ca7.png

Don't worry,everyone starts somewhere. Everything comes with experience and patience. I see good start here,keep it up. 

NaziHell. Made episode 1 of 3, which contains 5 maps. I plan on doing episode 2 and 3 with 5 more maps each, and so far have spent 4 months making everything and getting it balanced. I have had good feedback so far and people say it is fun stuff! Here is a sneak peek at one of the maps! plus a couple screen shots. The theme revolves around the idea of the Nazi's finding a superior power source, which will help them win the war.....although Hell slowly consumes the realm as they progress.

UEjwt4w.jpg

jqgK1nZ.jpg

Pr7VUaA.jpg

kreEfgp.jpg

This started off as me trying to do a practice Speedmap in anticipation of the event this Saturday. I wanted to be done by the time the Doom 2016 soundtrack finished (2 hours 8 minutes). I am now about 4 hours in and still working on it. Guess it became a full map lol! It's a Doom 1 E2 map I call Blood Lake.

Hmm, instead of making an entirely separate topic on the mini map set I'm working on, I could have posted that here. Oh well..