Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spooner5020

Ducktales 2017

Here we go again another reboot of a great cartoon from back in the day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No64mMVfnxU . Truthfully I don't know how to feel about this. David Tennant is perfect as Scrooge Mcduck as a replacement for Alan Young who died just last year,but omg the voice actors for the kids. Why do they sound so fucking obnoxious? Danny Pudi who i really like from Community is playing Huey and even his voice sounds awful for Huey. Also they sound nothing like ducks. They must have done this so each one can have their own personality instead of all sounding the same. Not only that they don't even sound like kids. If they were remaking Ducktales why did they not get kids to voice them? This isn't Quackpack where they are teenagers. It's Ducktales. Also the animation is so cheap. It's like they put no thought into how it looked. It looks depressing. I really hope this doesen't fall along the lines of Powerpuff girls and Teen Titans Go as a bad reboot of a good tv show.

... you double posting ditz :-)

Its tough to even understand Donald and Scrooge. The art style sticks out and sets it apart from other cartoons. As long as it has the opening theme everyone will love it. As long as its not the original everyone will hate it.

Most pro voice actors for children aren't actual children because their voices would change while an adult voice actor who is 5' tall would never have a changing voice. Plus they avoid those pesky child labor laws when you're voicing 50 - 100 episodes per year for a children's cartoon. Those seasons never end when they churn out 5 episodes per week.

At this point Huey, Duey and Louie should be their own adult characters. 3 adventuring ducks witch children of their own and cameos from Grandpa Donald and good ole crazy uncle Launchpad. That way the series could be fresh and its own thing while avoiding the backlash of OMG they're rebooting my beloved childhood.

I'm the complete opposite when it comes to my opinion of Scrooge's new voice. David Tennant is by all means a fantastic actor, but he sounds too young for the role. I know Alan Young would have been a tough act to follow, but I would have honestly preferred it if they went with the guy who voiced him in that 2016 Mickey Mouse Christmas special.

I can give them props for not making the nephews sound like the exact same character like the original show did or giving them the whole "totez radicl" shtick that the mid 90's show gave them, but I think it would have been better if they got actual kids or teenagers to voice them.

Patch93 said:

I'm the complete opposite when it comes to my opinion of Scrooge's new voice. David Tennant is by all means a fantastic actor, but he sounds too young for the role. I know Alan Young would have been a tough act to follow, but I would have honestly preferred it if they went with the guy who voiced him in that 2016 Mickey Mouse Christmas special.

I can give them props for not making the nephews sound like the exact same character like the original show did or giving them the whole "totez radicl" shtick that the mid 90's show gave them, but I think it would have been better if they got actual kids or teenagers to voice them.

I don't know how old Alan Young was when he was doing Scrooge,but David is 45. Not too old,but not too young either if you ask me. Considering David is a Scottish as well it really helps the character. I was only looking forward to this because of David anyway. If it had been anyone else I wouldn't have cared. Hopefully they throw a Doctor who reference in the show somewhere.

Spooner5020 said:

I don't know how old Alan Young was when he was doing Scrooge

Just pointing it out, Alan Young's first role as Scrooge was in Mickey's Christmas Carol which came out in 1983, and he was 63 years old at the time. He was almost 70 by the time DuckTales started airing. You do have a point with David actually being Scottish.

Wow, that looks ghastly! What happened to the style? I get that they wanted to try something a bit different, but this sort of style doesn't fit Ducktales (or any classic Disney related theme) at all. It looks modern in every bad way imaginable.

Honestly I'd rather have a new Darkwing Duck cartoon than a new Ducktales, but Ducktales was still a staple of my childhood and I loved it just as much. However I am not so sure if this new one will live up to the original.

Avoozl said:

However I am not so sure if this new one will live up to the original.

If you're old enough to have seen the original show, then maybe this isn't supposed to appeal to you any longer. And that's ok. It's ok to let some things go now that you're probably approaching 30. You're not the target audience anymore so let the kids have their dumb cartoon.

Spooner5020 said:

I really hope this doesen't fall along the lines of Powerpuff girls and Teen Titans Go as a bad reboot of a good tv show.

It's also unfair to call shit like Teen Titans Go a reboot, since aside from characters is has no elements of the original material, as it's goal is to be disposable and irreverent.

TheCupboard said:

*dives into a vault filled with an ocean of gold coins while wearing a bathing suit*

Nooooo!

Good god, the animation is deplorable. This would have been acceptable for an Internet short about 20 years ago, not a goddamn modern Disney cartoon. Then again, a lot of their shows look really cheap. The kids do indeed sound just awful. There's nothing gained from making the boys sarcastic jerks and Webby ADHD'd. Just nothing but cringe. Holy shit this is going to be bad. I've been watching the original Duck Tales lately and was having high hopes for the new one until I saw this trailer. To quote Seinfeld, "Well that's a shame."

If you're old enough to have seen the original show, then maybe this isn't supposed to appeal to you any longer. And that's ok. It's ok to let some things go now that you're probably approaching 30. You're not the target audience anymore so let the kids have their dumb cartoon.

This is a particularly shaky argument because kids don't have defined tastes, they will like whatever you tell them to like (within a certain range, obviously).

The uglification of modern cartoons is not the result of incompetence, but a stylistic choice. While aesthetic canons exist, personal taste for beauty is subjective. You can teach people to love what is beautiful; but then you have to produce quality. Or you can teach them everything is equal...ly ugly, and then you can shovel low effort crap at them all day long.

Lack of appreciation for beauty is a cynical, money-grubbing ploy, part of a greater whole to get people used to a drab existence as brainless, hopeless consumers.

I don't care if you think they are secret illuminati brainwashing tools to teach people how to be submissive drones for the New Order. Adventure Time or Gumball are cool and you're not.

Finally watched the trailer, doesn't look bad actually. Haven't watched the original series in almost 20 years though.

Oh man, the Disney: XD though. God I watched the Saturday morning cartoons on that channel on ketamine tranquilizer and found it incredibly ugly but I had no basis of comparison because I had never watched those shows while sober, I guess it was the 3D animated-robots-are-characters style. That was 5 years ago.

Phml said:

This is a particularly shaky argument because kids don't have defined tastes, they will like whatever you tell them to like (within a certain range, obviously).

The uglification of modern cartoons is not the result of incompetence, but a stylistic choice. While aesthetic canons exist, personal taste for beauty is subjective. You can teach people to love what is beautiful; but then you have to produce quality. Or you can teach them everything is equal...ly ugly, and then you can shovel low effort crap at them all day long.

Lack of appreciation for beauty is a cynical, money-grubbing ploy, part of a greater whole to get people used to a drab existence as brainless, hopeless consumers.

I think the biggest gripe I have with the style being so different is that this animation style looks like a product of the times. It looks like any typical 2010's animation, in contrast to the original show that looks pretty much timeless. I'm not trying to worship old Disney here, but if there's one thing that Disney used to do very well it's creating entertainment that lasted. If you'd have kids, you could show them the original show and it would still hold up for the most part, because they're not trying to be a product of the times. It's the exact reason why shows such as Quack Pack bombed and lasted only one season.

Agentbromsnor said:

I think the biggest gripe I have with the style being so different is that this animation style looks like a product of the times. It looks like any typical 2010's animation, in contrast to the original show that looks pretty much timeless. I'm not trying to worship old Disney here, but if there's one thing that Disney used to do very well it's creating entertainment that lasted. If you'd have kids, you could show them the original show and it would still hold up for the most part, because they're not trying to be a product of the times. It's the exact reason why shows such as Quack Pack bombed and lasted only one season.

Speaking of timeless, somewhere is a warehouse full of animation cells and backgrounds from the originals.

TheCupboard said:

Y'know what brah? ya dahn't evanh hahve tah qwathe a poste jf yor post fahllows aft3rwrrd5

Was that even English?

I definitely made it recognizable. It was supposed to be Swedish mixed with Johnny Bravo. you're welcome <3