Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Site and/or forum bugs or things not working

10 minutes ago, WildWeasel said:

I do appreciate not needing to zoom in to be able to tap on links using my mobile browser (lets be honest, I surf forums on my phone more than on my computer anymore) but I do feel like the font sizes could stand to be toned down  just a tidbit. I feel like the forum is speaking very loudly at me. =P

Even I like bigger of font size, but for me who still using 800x600 desktop, I found this new site's font is larger than I think...

I also notice the new forum sometimes just make my all unread posts on one/all of specific forum are already read even I only just click one of them and go back to thread list... then lost track about which one I read or not, weird...

14 minutes ago, WildWeasel said:

I do appreciate not needing to zoom in to be able to tap on links using my mobile browser (lets be honest, I surf forums on my phone more than on my computer anymore) but I do feel like the font sizes could stand to be toned down  just a tidbit. I feel like the forum is speaking very loudly at me. =P

Feels like I'm using "Accessibility mode" in Windows or something, with the huge fonts and all the wasted space.

20 minutes ago, WildWeasel said:

If the font were any smaller on my phone I would have to zoom the page to read it, and I have a big phone. Except for the thread titles. Those are huge on both the desktop and phone layouts. I still find posts hard to read on my phone, so I might have to look into a plugin where I can force all font weights bold on my phone (for all sites).

The only thing that feels broken to me is how the info/links at the bottom of the posts aren't anchored there. Seems like a big oversight on the part of the forum software devs.

I like most of this so far. MultiQuote buttons are the best.

I have but one nitpick: I think it would be better to keep the online users list at the bottom of the main page alphabetical rather than by last activity (or an option for either), other than that, I like the new design, thanks Linguica!

Can we please have 100% width pages again? And preferably a bit smaller in size. At least as an optional theme if whoever loves their font being at 150%?..

Just saying, for me personally, comfortable size would be this: 

g8hF3xI.png

Seriously for f-s sake, don't go the Microsoft way and try to make one style work with both phones and desktops. It simply aint going to work. Right now this font size is so uncomfortable that I'm considering it an actual bug, not a preference.

P.S. How do I disable the WYSIWYG editor? First, it's WHITE. Second, I don't like WYSIWYG personally. Third, it's broken (my picture link got replaced with image, and my text cursor won't move from above the image to below the image when I press down arrow...). Fourth, it takes two seconds of page freeze to load.

P.P.S. Sorry if my post is like "you made this specifically for me and I disapprove" — I've noticed some people read my posts like that.
It's just the writing style.

P.P.P.S. Other than these, the new style is awesome!

Edited by ZZYZX

51 minutes ago, ZZYZX said:

Can we please have 100% width pages again? And preferably a bit smaller in size. At least as an optional theme if whoever loves their font being at 150%?..

[huge image]

Seriously for f-s sake, don't go the Microsoft way and try to make one style work with both phones and desktops. It simply aint going to work. Right now this font size is so uncomfortable that I'm considering it an actual bug, not a preference.

It uses a different layout on phones (or on desktops if you zoom the page sufficiently). For some reason the max width of the main part of the page is 1340 pixels. It's probably easy for Linguica to remove that rule if he wants, or for you to build a custom stylesheet that overrides it if that's your cup of tea.

Given how wide your display is, I'm surprised you don't use some kind of extension to display two or three tabs side by side at all times.

45 minutes ago, Aliotroph? said:

Given how wide your display is, I'm surprised you don't use some kind of extension to display two or three tabs side by side at all times.

My display is regular 1920x1080. It's just that the page is zoomed out to 75% so that the fonts arent that large.

And yes, after disabling the max-width rule it looks pretty nice :D
http://i.imgur.com/1CfkpCC.png

Edited by ZZYZX

12 hours ago, Linguica said:

HERE COMES THE NITPICK BRIGADE!!!!!!

How about I report some bugs instead:

• www.doomworld.com/idgames is useless now.
    • Text files are no longer displayed. WADs must be downloaded in order to learn what game they are for, what game mode, which level, what compatflags, etc.
    • Search option searches everything. What if I want to search by filename or by title? Try finding "dwango5".
    • https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/api/api.php is now 404, which means that Doomseeker's idgames/ search feature is completely broken and its WAD search feature is at least partially broken.
    • The previously readily available help on how to upload files is now gone. Where can new people learn about archive.gamers.org FTP now?
    • Anons can no longer vote on WADs (although I think this one was intentional).
  • The site:
    • When I login with bad password TWICE I am banned for 15 minutes.
      • Which begs to question: If I login as Linguica with bad password TWICE will I be able to ban Linguica for 15 minutes?
      • Which begs to further question: would it be possible to run a script that will login as everyone with bad password TWICE every 15 minutes and ban everyone forever?
        • EDIT: I checked and it's IP based, the message just doesn't precisely state it, but still... 15 minutes after inputting bad password TWICE.
    • "I forgot my password" link says it sent a notification email but it didn't.
  • The forums:
    • I can't find an option to view unread activity by threads. The "unread content" link shows me posts, which is too granular.
  • https://www.doomworld.com/newstuff/
    • It says "Nice try, but your forum account is not allowed." What? Why?

That's what I could find in 15 minutes (that haunting 15 minutes) just after coming home from work and noticing that the site has changed.

I have noticed that I can edit my idgames/ reviews now. Thanks, this was badly needed!

Edited by Zalewa : Anon voting + IP account block + unread thread activity

30 minutes ago, Zalewa said:

How about I report some bugs instead:

• www.doomworld.com/idgames is useless now.
    • Text files are no longer displayed. WADs must be downloaded in order to learn what game they are for, what game mode, which level, what compatflags, etc.
    • Search option searches everything. What if I want to search by filename or by title? Try finding "dwango5".
    • https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/api/api.php is now 404, which means that Doomseeker's idgames/ search feature is completely broken and its WAD search feature is at least partially broken.
    • The previously readily available help on how to upload files is now gone. Where can new people learn about archive.gamers.org FTP now?
    • Anons can no longer vote on WADs (although I think this one was intentional).

I agree. The download section is crappy and a total mess.  I can't find anything, even my own wads. I also can't see what engine a wad was designed for and all the other file info that I want to know .

Another important feature (well, the most important for me) is the "show random file" link that I always used for finding interesting old stuff. Sorry to say, but the whole idgames-archive is useless now. :-(

And why does the url need the file name? Why not just the file number? If you would drop the file name I could at least write my own randomization tool.

Has anyone figured out how to download from idgames mirrors? I only see one "Download this file" button, which just sends me to gamers.org.

Am I missing something, or is it just not there?

Since it's possible to amend the WAD reviews now would it also be possible to be able to edit the star rating?

Admins, it sounds like a good compromise to leave the old idgames frontend while the current one gets feature-rich enough, IMO. Or maybe forever? I mean honestly this one just sucks.

Also, on my last glimpse of the old frontend, I saw WADs which haven't appeared on the new page yet.

See that screenshot? 13.03.2017. The new frontend has levels up to JAGL2, submitted on 09.03.

#bringbackidgames.png

p.s. I confirm that the new forum works great with images off. Thanks Ling for catering to us impoverished.

edit: where's the 5 years of Doom feature? It was the best, especially because it called John Romero the 3rd greatest mapper of all time for creating MAP01: Entryway. Hahahahahaha... we all make mistakes.

Edited by bzzrak : 5 years dammit

The one thing that bothers me right now is that pretty much every idgames link ever is now dead.

Example #1: Caverns of Darkness, as linked here: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=11550

Example #2: 50 Shades of Gray, as linked here: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/50shades

Ironically the old id=number approach that had been abandoned for being a terrible idea seems to have come back, if I judge by this random example from the idgames part: https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/18647-revolution-midi-pack/

Also I really hope there's a non-what-you-see-is-what-you-don't-want-to-get editor. I guess typing stuff in a text editor, then using ctrl-rightclick->paste without formatting is our closest option in the meantime..

I was trying to post this post: http://pastebin.com/0Np64gg4

I don't know why, Doomworld says error EX0. 

I do a temporary post to see if I can just edit it and put what I wanted inside the post. It gives an error saying "This comment can no longer be edited. It may have been moved or deleted, or too much time may have passed since it was posted for it to be edited."

I tried to copy-paste the error message into the post editor and it made this appear at the middle of my screen for no reason:

(I can't a new line under this gray box, the post editor won't let me do so. Does the  post editor executes javascript?)

This comment can no longer be edited. It may have been moved or deleted, or too much time may have passed since it was posted for it to be edited.
  • OK"

Delete me.

Sorry about that. I clicked on "Edit" and it posted copies of an old version of my post a few times. 

Sometimes when I'm in a topic with lots of notifications related to it (new post notifications), I see the tiny popup at the bottom which vanishes immediately, not giving me the chance to click it to update the display. To me it happened only after I added my post in the thread. Until then, I was able to click notifications to update the view…

It would be really cool to automatically update the UI as new posts appear, instead of asking for user confirmation.

Is there a way to have numbered lists continue counting into a spoiler? In the ironman threads, for example, items 11-and-up should be contained neatly in a drop-down box; they have to be listed and ranked, but without cluttering up the post.

I am getting email notifications to updates to threads I am following, and then I click on the email link to go to the thread and there is no new message.  Also, it is not sending me to the latest post in the thread but to the OP.

Honestly, I've been lurking on doomworld for years now, but this new /idgames archive is just terrible. Please bring back the old one. Every link is broken now, this is just terrible. Do whatever you want with the forum, but please don't mess with the archive. I cannot find wads, I cannot read the txt files before downloading thus not knowing what I'm actually downloading. Guess this is my new home now: ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/msdos/games/idgames/.

On an unrelated note, I had to disable IPv6 in order to get this version of the site. I can't come here if IPv6 is enabled.

17 minutes ago, plmgrno said:

Honestly, I've been lurking on doomworld for years now, but this new /idgames archive is just terrible. Please bring back the old one. Every link is broken now, this is just terrible. Do whatever you want with the forum, but please don't mess with the archive. I cannot find wads, I cannot read the txt files before downloading thus not knowing what I'm actually downloading. Guess this is my new home now: ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/msdos/games/idgames/.

The idgames frontend is being tied into the forum software. This is literally the first day of the transition. As far as I know, Linguica is the only person working on this, so give him some patience to work.