Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 hours ago, Breezeep said:

If you want to post a status update, go to your profile page, and right under the 'activity' tab, click on the quote next to your avatar that says, "Write a public message on your own feed".

...I don't have that option?  Not having an avatar doesn't help, but when I click the "see my activity" button on my profile, there's no button with quote marks.  The speech bubble I see by my posts on my main profile page doesn't do anything, either.

Seems slow here. Pages taking several seconds to load or respond to clicks. How is the server coping under the presumably increased load?

Also I have to say I am very concerned that basically every link to a wad written in the past 10 or more years is now broken. dw/idgames was effectively a standard way of linking to a wad, independent of whichever was the primary mirror of the day. My own site now has 600+ broken links, I expect others (kmxexii/onemandoom?) have even worse numbers to deal with. Not to mention essentially unfixable contents on archive sites and in zips on the speed demos archive and so on. I'm sure you're aware of this, but I feel it must be said anyway. I really hope the old /idgames links can be restored in the near future.

3 minutes ago, Cynical said:

...I don't have that option?  Not having an avatar doesn't help, but when I click the "see my activity" button on my profile, there's no button with quote marks.  The speech bubble I see by my posts on my main profile page doesn't do anything, either.

In your profile, go to "Edit Profile" and turn "Enable status updates?" on.

1 hour ago, Linguica said:

I'm probably going to turn off pic uploads because I can already see what is gonna happen

• User uploads 5 megabytes (or whatever the ultimate limit is) of dumb shit
  • User hits the limit
  • "WAHHH CHANGE IT CHANGE IT I AM ENTITLED TO UNLIMITED STORAGE"

I am sure that getting the new forum running was a ton of work, so I wanted to say: Great job! It's going to take some getting used to, but, literally, it went from old forum to new forum in a single click, for me! Very nice, indeed.

Since we're using this forum software, do we have the ability to @ people?  And will it show up in their alerts?

@Cynical

EDIT: Hmm, @'ing myself doesn't give me a message, what about @ing somebody else?

@dew

6 minutes ago, RjY said:

Seems slow here. Pages taking several seconds to load or respond to clicks. How is the server coping under the presumably increased load?

Also I have to say I am very concerned that basically every link to a wad written in the past 10 or more years is now broken. dw/idgames was effectively a standard way of linking to a wad, independent of whichever was the primary mirror of the day. My own site now has 600+ broken links, I expect others (kmxexii/onemandoom?) have even worse numbers to deal with. Not to mention essentially unfixable contents on archive sites and in zips on the speed demos archive and so on. I'm sure you're aware of this, but I feel it must be said anyway. I really hope the old /idgames links can be restored in the near future.

I noticed that one, too. And it's a huge concern because that old database had been considered as a standard everywhere. Not only this forum but basically all Doom related forums that post links to the archive got screwed by it. On the ZDoom forum and Wiki there's also several hundreds of links that got broken and to be honest, I do not want to deal with the fallout of this.

This was NOT nice!

As a paying customer of the idgames database service, feel free to get in touch with your support representative

Yeah, poor response. If this falls into the "still working on it; have some patience" camp, fine, but link rot to that extent is not acceptable.

15 minutes ago, Linguica said:

As a paying customer of the idgames database service, feel free to get in touch with your support representative

I was afraid I'd get a response like this. Sorry to have annoyed you, you must have so much more, more urgent stuff to deal with. And you're quite right of course: do not rely on external services unless you're paying for them.

FWIW I'm also sad @MTrop's search API has broken, but I suspect I was the only regular user anyway.

Edit: guess it doesn't pick up @' s in the middle of a line.

It's going to take some time to get everything ironed out. There are an incredible number of loose ends to tie up with a transition of this size. As far as slow page loads go, I think it's an illusion - as the page is not painted until all the content is loaded (for me, anyway). Because there's no visible activity, this gives the impression that the page takes longer to load, but really it looks about the same for me.

I see there's a "warnings" system in place.  Does that mean that Losers is also gone?

I'm feeling like I made my mark on "heh" just in time.

EDIT: Holy crap, post counts are actually not displayed now, instead of just being the same color as the background!

FYI, some sort of "yo here's the shit we're still working on" post (or any other sort of communication aside from snark) would be appreciated. This entire thing is a crazy-ass surprise to everyone and nobody knows what to expect.

3 minutes ago, Cynical said:

EDIT: Holy crap, post counts are actually not displayed now, instead of just being the same color as the background!

Hover over a username - the post count is the "content count" in the thing that pops up

20 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Just so you know, I am going to direct anyone bringing this up on the ZDoom forum to that post. Have fun!

3 minutes ago, Xaser said:

FYI, some sort of "yo here's the shit we're still working on" post (or any other sort of communication aside from snark) would be appreciated. This entire thing is a crazy-ass surprise to everyone and nobody knows what to expect.

Ling posted something about an Upcoming forum update like two months ago, I think it's still floating around somewhere here.

Just now, dmg_64 said:

Ling posted something about an Upcoming forum update like two months ago, I think it's still floating around somewhere here.

It was in Blogs.

3 minutes ago, Xaser said:

Stuff is very clearly being improved on the fly. Just in the last few hours attachments were fixed, default avatars blanked, probably a slew of other stuff. Maybe less of Graf's entitlement (LOL ZSCRIPT) and more of plain bug reporting on day 1 of migration?

Many members are still stuck on the old DW because of DNS-related things. I spent the better part of an hour learning how to reset it. Oh my gord. Anyway, it'd be a good idea to send a rope or something to recover those fine people before they are lost to the abyss forever.  

1 minute ago, rdwpa said:

Many members are still stuck on the old DW because of DNS-related things. I spent the better part of an hour learning how to reset it. Oh my gord. Anyway, it'd be a good idea to send a rope or something to recover those fine people before they are lost to the abyss forever.  

Yeah, it seems like a bit of a mess at the moment. Hopefully the DNS wrinkles will work themselves out before too much longer, but they've been a real nuisance in the meantime. My phone works for a while but then keeps wanting to go back to the old site.

4 minutes ago, dew said:

Stuff is very clearly being improved on the fly. Just in the last few hours attachments were fixed, default avatars blanked, probably a slew of other stuff. Maybe less of Graf's entitlement (LOL ZSCRIPT) and more of plain bug reporting on day 1 of migration?

It doesn't exactly instill confidence that said bugreports are met with "lol sucks to be you, relying on our service" rather than "hold your horses you dweeb we're fixing this." It ain't hard.

On my end the DNS problem resolved itself overtime (which is a relief because I really don't want to fuck with ipconfig after what happened the last time I did). Hopefully it'll resolve itself for everyone else as well.

40 minutes ago, Linguica said:

hqdefault.jpg