Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey I got in! Looking forward to trying out the new features. Thanks for the hard work, Ling.

Yeah, honestly I've got high hopes for the future of the DW forums. Maybe with everything being more integrated, people will be more likely to try their hand at reviewing things.

I like the tidy neatness of the new design, at least. Clean and organized up to the highest of OCD standards. Ah yes, most excellent.

Will there be some fix to the /idgames links? For example, this link leads to an error page, and I now would have to find the page on the new downloads page, which would be here. Can you guys please fix this by having the old /idgames links redirect to the new download pages for the WADs?

Looks great, had to cut the url from (to just Doomworld) /vb before I could get on (had the original forum url that was /vb/blahblahsomehugeurl/forum as favorites).

Post Hell will be missed. :(

I'm one of those old fogies who generally is resistant to change, but I understand needing to update the tech every now and then. The layout isn't too bad, and it'll likely grow on me.

Only thing I'd really recommend is maybe shrinking the text size of user's names in posts, as it is a lot of names get awkwardly cut off in the middle.

Getting flashbacks of how exciting the switch to VBulletin was back in the day... and imagining the nightmare behind the scenes.

When will /idgames be back up ;_;

my life is literally dependent on it being up

Well, that didn't take long. Facebook followed me to Doomworld and I'm addicted again. I should be sleeping damn it I HAVE TO GO TO WORK IN THREE HOURS

The new setup is nice, great work Linguica and company. It sounds like converting the old content was a monumental task.

As much as I was posting about how I miss Post Hell, really, thank you so much for pushing this update out. This site really is a labor of love from what I can see, so big props to the admins for keeping this place alive.

14 minutes ago, CARRiON said:

Post Hell was sacrificed to keep DoomWorld alive.

I think I speak for everyone when I say I'd gladly sacrifice a lesser forum, probably Doom 2016 Multiplayer, just to have Post Hell back for a day. Preferably with the Picard music and old fire gif, though.

Just got to look at the forum on the computer. Are you going to be replacing the icons next to subforums with the Doomguy face eventually? I already miss him. :(

I think the new site design is great and the updated features makes everything seem less outdated.  Hopefully this breaths new life into the classic doom we all know and love.  

My only gripe right now is the fact that I have to use a dummy account atm until I can get my email recovered so I can reset my password(auto login really messes with ones memory of passwords)  However this gripe is really just my own fault because I should of just updated my email months ago.

2 hours ago, WildWeasel said:

Yeah, honestly I've got high hopes for the future of the DW forums. Maybe with everything being more integrated, people will be more likely to try their hand at reviewing things.

This should be fun to see, really. so many things in a state of flux right now but it'd be great if we could submit photos to the idgames archive as well...

re: people saying you just "shat this out" to reach the birthday deadline, rofl what a bunch of fucking morons, this kind of transition isn't something that just happens overnight all squeaky-clean like. Some people are insanely ignorant.

Suggestions and feedback and whatnot:

• Ed mentioned the graveyard of ancient hosted sites that used to be on the front page, are those all gonna be hosted still or at least backed up somewhere? They were all dead but I still hope they'll be archived somewhere. I know you're getting a huge influx of requests and feedback all at once, but this is just something I'm curious about as a lover of the internets of the bygone era

• Will there still be a member list that can be sorted by reg date/post count/yadda yadda yadda? Maybe with all these cool new features, sorting by rep would also be a nice option.

• It would be nice if, when viewing a user's profile, you could sort their activity by "posts", "reviews" and maybe even "content" as in Doom files. Maybe even posts a user has liked? It would also be cool to have an easy URL (doomworld.com/users/Name) for each user, but maybe I'm the only one who ever looked at profiles regularly using that method on the old dw?

• It would be great to be able to sort your wad reviews by date and by amount of stars you gave each file. Maybe even sorting by date of the file itself

• Maybe the reviews should be put back in chronological order now that each file's page essentially looks like a forum thread? It just seems weird to have the forum threads go one way and the reviews go the opposite way when they look this similar. Idk though, maybe it's just me.

• On the downloads front page, it would be cool to see # of votes in addition to # of downloads

Also holy shit, i just tried to paste a URL of a wad page to give an example and got the URL instantly erased with a huge grey box in my post saying "Sorry, we can't show you this because you do not have permission to see it." Apologies if it's been mentioned 999 times already. (I also don't know how to get rid of them now lol - EDIT, duh just hit backspace in front of them)

On a side note, god damn I'm still just as excited about this new software 24 hours later, all the new stuff is just awesome. It's gonna be unquestionably superior even to nostalgia addicts once the little creases are ironed out

Edited by Doomkid : more bs suggestions

1 hour ago, CARRiON said:

Post Hell was sacrificed to keep DoomWorld alive.

FINALLY...
  THE MOTHER OF ALL FORUMS
          IS DEAD!

AS THE ONLY SUBFORUM TO
   ENDURE THE SLAUGHTER,
    POST HELL DECIDES TO REMAIN
   IN HELL AND ENSURE NO
  SHITPOST EVER RISES AGAIN.

THE END.

I generally never accepted changes on websites like FlightSim.Com or specially YouTube, but this one is nice. My only gripe with it has to be the removal of Post Hell. Not only was Post Hell a place where I learned how to not behave in the forums when I started back in 2010, but also a place for some quick comedy.

Well, I cease to be Hectic today; now I'm Torturephile. I always wanted to ask the mods if they could change my name, but I thought it would be too much of a hassle to bug them about it. Funny how I always wanted a custom avatar in the old software but needed 250 posts, so for years I had a bikini girl and recently a Misfits logo. Once I got close to that number, after seven years, the forum changes and now I can freely set it to whatever I like.

Edited by Torturephile

I have difficulties to see which threads contain new posts, and which didn't. It would be nice, if these marked better.

I like the new forum design, but don't like so much the new download section. I still prefer the old "https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/" (which is not working anymore.

I miss the old "search by author... by filename..." for wads. I don't know if it still present in the new design, maybe I just cannot find it.

And I think maybe some instruction on the "/newstuff and /idgames FAQ - READ THIS" section should be updated?

Well the up side is I have experience of using this forum software from another site. All good from my point of view as the layout is pretty easy to understand. That said the downloads section is going to take a bit of getting used to as it will be strange to not be using the idgames download site.

Hopefully there won't be too many bugs to overcome over the coming months.

7 hours ago, Linguica said:

The max width is currently... 1300 pixels or so? I don't understand how people want pages wider than that - do you like reading whole paragraphs on a single line? That said, it will be EXTREMELY easy to add an alternate theme that makes it as wide as you want, but I want to work on the theme more first so I don't have to duplicate effort. Actually I could maybe fashion some JavaScript thing to let you switch on the fly but my JS is weak. 

Here's a case of #firstworldproblems - this is what your post looks like on a 4K monitor without any scaling. My normal setting here is to set Chrome to scale the site up by 150% and either browse on my 1080p secondary or only browse with the window docked to either the left or right side of the 4K screen.

Any CSS that can scale up automagically to provide a consistent experience across physical monitor sizes, resolutions, and DPI settings would be a a good CSS.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed my avatar is being squished vertically in to a square.

36 minutes ago, GooberMan said:

EDIT: Also, I just noticed my avatar is being squished vertically in to a square.

Same here.