Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alright, now I'm starting to have a gripe with this new system and I'd like an answer. Why in the hell am I getting reply notifications from threads I haven't replied to or don't even follow?

@Doomkid:

4 hours ago, Doomkid said:

• Will there still be a member list that can be sorted by reg date/post count/yadda yadda yadda? Maybe with all these cool new features, sorting by rep would also be a nice option.

If you use the site search in the upper-right, select "members" and then search without typing anything in, it'll bring back a list of all members. Currently you can sort by a few things: registration date ("Joined"), name, post count, and reputation.

4 hours ago, Doomkid said:

• It would be nice if, when viewing a user's profile, you could sort their activity by "posts", "reviews" and maybe even "content" as in Doom files. Maybe even posts a user has liked? It would also be cool to have an easy URL (doomworld.com/users/Name) for each user, but maybe I'm the only one who ever looked at profiles regularly using that method on the old dw?

Simply highlight a poster's name (e.g., CapnClever), and click on "Find Content": you'll be on that member's activity page, at which point you can sort to include only posts, topics, files, file reviews, et cetera. If you want to reach a member's activity page from the main member page, click on "See their activity" to get there.

Overall I've found the change plenty acceptable. There were some things I learned to like on the old forum, but there's nothing I'm seeing that I outright dislike and even the existing benefits (to say nothing of the additional adjustments in the coming weeks) far outweigh whatever nitpicks I have. WYSIWYG editors aren't my favorite (for example, it was rather bothersome to split Doomkid's quoted post into two parts when compared to bbcode) but I've gotten used to them in other places.

Here's a nifty feature: unsubmitted posts are saved if you click to another page in the thread, or to another topic, or even if you close the browser altogether! It appears to act as an auto-save, so you might lose something you were typing within the last minute, but I'd call that more useful than keeping a lot of tabs up when you're trying to cross-reference topics (or if your browser crashes).

Thanks for the helpful info, Capn! Basically every forum I use I structured like Old Doomworld so this is all super new and fancy to me

Kudos to the new forum, it looks good and it feels good - finally. But the news page needs some work, it's very... well, not actually the "state of the art"...

9 hours ago, Doomkid said:

EDIT: Also re: people saying you just "shat this out" to reach the birthday deadline, rofl what a bunch of fucking morons, this kind of transition isn't something that just happens overnight all squeaky-clean like. Some people are insanely ignorant

JFTR it was nothing quite so bad, the actual phrase was "it seems like it's been rushed out for Doomworld's birthday"

44 minutes ago, Tormentor667 said:

Kudos to the new forum, it looks good and it feels good - finally. But the news page needs some work, it's very... well, not actually the "state of the art"...

I imagine it'll get better going forward. All of the current news posts were directly translated from the old site/forum, so I can see why it might not be the prettiest. I can also foresee a myriad of improvements to future editions of the /newstuff Chronicles now that we have more modern tools to work with.

1 hour ago, CapnClever said:

for example, it was rather bothersome to split Doomkid's quoted post

Try just highlighting the first text segment you're replying to, a hover button labeled "Quote this" should appear.

1 hour ago, CapnClever said:

into two parts when compared to bbcode

Then repeat the process and it should all get inserted neatly.

1 minute ago, dew said:

Try just highlighting the first text segment you're replying to, a hover button labeled "Quote this" should appear.

Then repeat the process and it should all get inserted neatly.

This post should be stickied.

3 minutes ago, dew said:

Try just highlighting the first text segment you're replying to

Holy Christ that is awesome

3 minutes ago, dew said:

Try just highlighting the first text segment you're replying to

Well colour me impressed, whatever colour that is...

It works! What an elegant solution to quoting.

I can't take this modern feel. Where's the 1999 era feel? Now our avatars need to be in HD or something.

This new change may take some getting used to, though admittedly, it's already starting to grow on me. It seems like much of the newer forum functions are largely experimental, as they're not up yet. I'm guessing it'll take a while for the site to be fully functional, /idgames and all.

Also, it's kind of a shame to see the "other" DW links go, such as "official" sites for WolfenDoom, ZanZan and Doom 3: Phobos. It'd be nice to have those archived, just for posterity purposes.

On a side note, I somewhat understand why Post Hell is being discontinued, and it's pretty much for the same reasons why the Worst Wad Cacoward also got canned. In the past, PH was supposed to be meant as a warning, an impromptu guide on how NOT to behave on Doomworld. That being said, just like the Worst Wad, this has resulted in attempts to get a thread helled just for cheap lulz (via derailing a thread) or attempts just to create a dumb thread (which led to threads like "Which anime character would you want to kick you in the balls?"), which has led to the rise of trolls and attention whores, causing Post Hell to lose most of its original meaning.

Despite that, I still found it to be a fairly effective way to teach newcomers how NOT to act on the forums, which in turn, has bred more civility among the members than most online forums (with a few hiccups here and there).

That being said, though, Post Hell will be gravely missed, as I always went there for a good laugh every now and then. Despite that, there have been hilarious threads that haven't been helled, in case you still want some quick laughs (case in point).

Can't Post Hell at least be archived?

EDIT- Something I've quickly noticed is that every now and then, I end up with a 502 Bad Gateway Error, not to mention the longer loading times. I'm guessing it's another bug to work out.

Edited by Man of Doom : Technical reporting on new forums

The first time I saw this new design I logged on from a smartphone and was immedeately impressed by how much better the browsing experience was on a phone than it used to. I was kind of surprised to later find that the change was not mobile exclusive. I'm still not too fond of the new look, but I guess it's mostly just nostalgia. It'll grow on me soon enough. Many of the new features do seem really promising!

Genereally, I'm just really happy that the community for a game that is over 23(!) years old is still thriving. I believe a more modern look will also be more inviting to newcomers to the Doom franchise, who might be interested in classic Doom after the 2016 reboot.

May Doom never die!

17 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

Also, it's kind of a shame to see the "other" DW links go, such as "official" sites for WolfenDoom, ZanZan and Doom 3: Phobos. It'd be nice to have those archived, just for posterity purposes.

They're not dead. They're just resting.

That's a serious response. I asked Ling about it on IRC, and it's on his list of things to restore. But it's understandably lower priority than some other functionality he's working on.

7 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

Preferably with the Picard music and old fire gif, though.

I'd prefer the old Rutabaga track myself. It looped much better than the second one, and the quality felt just right for such a forum.

Found here 502 bad gateway error too, after I post my comment. But text is not lost because I have very useful Textarea Cache plugin for Firefox.

2 hours ago, RjY said:

JFTR it was nothing quite so bad, the actual phrase was "it seems like it's been rushed out for Doomworld's birthday"

That's interesting, I'm getting a " Sorry, we can't show this content because you do not have permission to see it. " for the bulleted lists in Doomkid's original post in your quote. Bug?

His has probably been brought up in the thread prior, but I'm assuming all the cacowards and "10 Years of Doom" pages will also get a facelift, correct? Or at least they'll be accessible on a method other than going to the old layout.

I can't take it easy like this. I'll hope that there will be a way to add an alternative style resembling the old one.

An awesome look for the forums. I'm getting used to the new forums and I have to say the new quoting method via highlighting the text makes life a whole lot easier. Old Doomworld you will be remembered, new Doomworld you are welcome!!!

And thank you administrators for what you have done for us. I know it took a lot of time, but clearly it is worth it. :)

P.S.: Post Hell is like a prophecy. It had the memes and dumb things the internet is flooded with now, long ago. And now that the prophecy is fulfilled (the internet is Post Hell itself) I guess it is time for it to go, because it has no reason to exist. And I saw warning points in the profile page, which is an ok alternative to Post Hell.

Nice. Although I prefer the old VBulletin board, I think I could get used to this new forum. I did have to switch Pale Moon's compatibility mode to Firefox just to make this post though.

It's a shame Post Hell had to go... And I never did get an answer.