Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Looks like that code is crashing ZDoom; I'm not getting any specific error messages for the crash, and based on the A_SetArg wiki page, it doesn't look like we're using anything specific to a dev build of GZDoom. Sending you a PM with a link to the wad in case you want to look at it directly.

Edited by Not Jabba

I'm trying to get rid of textures and flats that I haven't used. I've already ran Slade's "remove unused textures" and flats but all of the useless textures won't get removed! What's this all about?

Edit: I figured it out!

Edited by Jaska : Solved!

Can someone please help me with this? 

I used MIDGRATE for a fence and the texture displays below the ground. I don't really know how to explain it.

boom.png

1 minute ago, everennui said:

Can someone please help me with this? 

I used MIDGRATE for a fence and the texture displays below the ground. I don't really know how to explain it.

boom.png

If you are using mapinfo add "clipmiddletextures".

Like:

gamedefaults{
ClipMidTextures
}

Otherwise you can change the sector brightness "before and after" that middle texture sector by 1. So if you have sector brightness on that railingsector 128, change the neighboursectors brightness to 127.

5 minutes ago, Jaska said:

Otherwise you can change the sector brightness "before and after" that middle texture sector by 1. So if you have sector brightness on that railingsector 128, change the neighboursectors brightness to 127.

I'd suggest using 128 and 129, rather than 128 and 127, because in vanilla (and many source ports), 127 will actually be treated as the next light level step down (either 112 or 120, depending on the source port), whereas 129 will be rendered indistinguishably from 128.

16 minutes ago, Jaska said:

It's probably a little hard to see, but this is for Boom format. I put it in the, "edit reason" section without actually editing the text.

I'm not sure what you mean.

boom2.png

Edit: Okay. I figured it out. I had to do this. VVV

boom3.png

Edited by everennui : THANKS!

4 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

Looks like that code is crashing ZDoom; I'm not getting any specific error messages for the crash, and based on the A_SetArg wiki page, it doesn't look like we're using anything specific to a dev build of GZDoom. Sending you a PM with a link to the wad in case you want to look at it directly.

Gez found a way to fix this. For posterity, here's the solution for temporarily increasing monster speed:

See:
    BCHR A 0 A_CheckFlag(ALWAYSFAST, "SpeedBurstCheck")
    BCHR A 0 A_Jump (16, "SpeedBurst")
    BCHR AABB 3 FAST A_Chase
    BCHR C 0 A_PlaySoundEx("Butcher/Step", "SoundSlot7", 0)
    BCHR CCDD 3 FAST A_Chase
    BCHR A 0 A_PlaySoundEx("Butcher/Step", "SoundSlot7", 0)
    Loop
  Melee:
    BCHR EF 6 A_FaceTarget
    BCHR G 0 A_PlaySound("Butcher/Miss")
    BCHR G 10 A_CustomMeleeAttack (random (18, 81), "Butcher/Melee")
    Goto See
  SpeedBurst:
    BCHR A 0 A_ChangeFlag (ALWAYSFAST, true)
    BCHR A 0 A_SetArg (0, 12)
    Goto See +2
  SpeedBurstCheck:
    BCHR A 0 A_SetArg (0, args[0] - 1)
    BCHR A 0 A_JumpIf (args[0] < 1, "SpeedBurstRemove")
    Goto See +2
  SpeedBurstRemove:
    BCHR A 0 A_ChangeFlag (ALWAYSFAST, false)
    Goto See +2

4 hours ago, Jaska said:

Edit: I figured it out!

...?

Looks like I got a question.

I'm trying to get rid of textures and flats that I haven't used. I've already ran Slade's "remove unused textures" and flats but all of the useless textures won't get removed! What's this all about?

Edit: ...and I guess I screwed something up because when I try to test in Boom it now says, "R_TextureNumForName: SKY3 not found" :/

Edited by everennui : ...

Now Slade's "remove unused textures" removed also all animated textures. Like if i have screen1,screen2, screen3 and screen4 I now have only screen1. How can I avoid that without manually unselecting all animated textures?

3 hours ago, doopnoop said:

How do I copy and paste a texture?

In gzdoombuilder? ctrl+shift+c to a linedef and ctrl+alt+v to another linedef. Those are the default shortcuts.

9 hours ago, everennui said:

...?

Looks like I got a question.

Edit: ...and I guess I screwed something up because when I try to test in Boom it now says, "R_TextureNumForName: SKY3 not found" :/

You have to have every texture what you use in some linedef. So maybe you don't have that sky3 on any linedef and that action deletes it.

3 hours ago, Jaska said:

Now Slade's "remove unused textures" removed also all animated textures. Like if i have screen1,screen2, screen3 and screen4 I now have only screen1. How can I avoid that without manually unselecting all animated textures?

At the moment, you can't.

Have a question:

How to take in game screenshots with PrBoom without showing player's hand ?

Edit: wrong topic I guess..

You can try that:

On mardi 15 avril 2014 at 7:56 AM, GreyGhost said:

Try this quick hack - it's a pair of invisible sprites to replace the pistol and fist. Load it along with the wad you're playing and you'll have two weapon slots for taking screenshots, so long as you're not trying to kill something at the same time.

How acceptable is it to insert parts of a Doom 1 IWAD level into a custom Doom 2 map?

I've an idea for a Doom 2 map that has at one point you stumbling into a map from Doom 1, albeit heavily edited (like a "hundreds of years in the future" idea). Most textures would be different, the sector height offsets all different, most of the Things would be changed, and substantial additional sectors added.

But at the end of the day, it's still at it's heart taken from the Doom IWAD. 

Is it a no-go area, or is it one of those legal grey areas where it's technically not kosher but no-one would care (like using Doom midis in Doom 2 maps?).

It's perfectly fine in general. It's just if you want to put it on /idgames that you'll have to negotiate with the archive maintainers.

The long-standing policy against modified IWAD levels was not a question of legality but one of quality control; the archive would have been flooded with noob levels that just take Hangar or Entryway and add a dozen cyberdemons or whatever.

Ok, thanks. I'm thinking that if it's just one section, right at the end of a much bigger otherwise custom map, deep inside a fully custom 32 level megawad, hopefully the idgames archivers wouldn't mind too much!

If I remove COLORMAP from custom textures,it won't affect textures and other things? This question bugs my mind. 

COLORMAP affects how colors fade into darkness at different light levels, and affects everything in the game.

21 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

COLORMAP affects how colors fade into darkness at different light levels, and affects everything in the game.

I guess,I'll leave as a way it should be. I'm just asking this,because I want include my map in dmp2017,I'm afraid if it affects other people maps. I use cc4 textures to being honest. 

How do I get Slade to recognize my SWITCHES lump as a, "BOOM Switches" type in Slade?

Edit: Archive > New > New SWITCHES

Edit 2: Nope. It still reverts to unknown.

Edited by everennui

I'm making a silly map, think 100000 Revenants. I'm thinking it could get to a point where ZDoom would start to choke on the amount of corpses (we're talking millions of corpses here, even if not a hundred monsters would be active at the same time). Are there any clean ways to remove corpses from the map? I really didn't really want to edit every single monster's Decorate, you know.

The monsters are all being spawned through ACS so I can add some scripts and stuff to them, if that helps.

32 minutes ago, everennui said:

How do I get Slade to recognize my SWITCHES lump as a, "BOOM Switches" type in Slade?

Edit: Archive > New > New SWITCHES

Edit 2: Nope. It still reverts to unknown.

Totally a workaround, but try copying a valid lump from another WAD and editing that?

52 minutes ago, Albertoni said:

Totally a workaround, but try copying a valid lump from another WAD and editing that?

I tried that, but it still reverts to, "unknown" after I save and exit Slade.

@Albertoni Try Thing_Remove or you can use DEHACKED to remove the monsters corpse state. 

Edited by everennui

1 hour ago, Albertoni said:

Are there any clean ways to remove corpses from the map?

Nothing specific to monster corpses, just Thing_Remove for arbitrarily tagged things, so call that with the tag of the monsters at some point(s) in time.

1 hour ago, Albertoni said:

By default all Things are going to be tagged zero, so if you don't want to tag monsters then you'll need to tag medikits, light sources etc. otherwise they'd be removed with 0.

Edited by everennui

ZDoom tends to treat tag 0 as special, so I doubt that Thing_Remove called with tag 0 would actually remove everything tagged 0 from the map.

2 hours ago, everennui said:

The question would be to know why it doesn't recognize it yet. And for that we need more info.

40 minutes ago, Gez said:

The question would be to know why it doesn't recognize it yet. And for that we need more info.

I'm not really sure what more info I can give.

I only know that I need a SWITCHES lump so I just added one in. From what I've read, it's not necessary to use SWANTBLS anymore since Slade does it automatically.

Do I need to put it in a certain order? Or use a marker?

boom5.png

Is it because the textures I'm using aren't in the wad itself? q1tex has a SWITCHES lump, but it didn't use it when I load it with my wad. I know I can't use more than one.

Edited by everennui