Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dime

Did you cheat through Doom as a kid?

Didn't know about cheats on PC games until I got a copy of Doom II, and then I was a filthy cheater up until the age of 12 to 13, depending on the game. I'd beaten the full version of Hexen and the Doom shareware legitimately beforehand, but as a result it lead to a lot of games later on, like Wolf3D, Heretic, Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, Quake, Quake II, Hexen II, Blood, Blood II, Shogo etc. with me having god mode on, all weapons (and infinite ammo if permitted), noclipping and level warp when I couldn't figure out where to go and having all keys or puzzle items to proceed. When I did try to play 'seriously' I would still play all these games on the easiest difficulty levels for fear of them being too tough. Funnily enough I didn't know how to enable the console in Half-Life so I dealt with the game kicking my ass even on easy.

Sometime around 15 or 16 I manned up and started putting these games on their normal and/or hard difficulties and quickly got better at playing them as a result, and then cheat code use just ceased altogether, outside of anything novel or oddly specific and it would only be to experiment as opposed to seriously playing the games that way. Amusingly enough I got myself to play Doom on Ultra-Violence before playing Wolf3D on I Am Death Incarnate (I refused to go higher than Bring 'Em On for a while longer which was the game's normal difficulty). As a result I wouldn't know how truly hard some of these games were until playing them proper, which lead to some disastrous results like Shadow Warrior, Blood II and Shogo being unbalanced messes or the Mutants in Wolf3D being absolute bastards, but it was still cool because in a sense I was re-discovering these games all over again.

I used 'resurrect' every time I died in the middle or near the end of some hard map, but now I pretty much go around savescumming.

Yes, like a bastard. I cheated on every game I could up until my teenage years. Sometimes I would be shocked and upset that some games didn't have cheats like Command & Conquer.

Nowadays, I rarely if ever use any available cheats. It bores me quickly. The magic is gone.

I don't recall cheating when I played the xbox 360 port of doom, but now I sometimes use cheats now.

I was terrified of seeing the doom guy bleed. I was even careful not to shoot too much because his yellow demon eyes went away when he got mad and didn't want to catch any fireballs during that brief period of mortality.

I used to be very fond of using IDCLIP to fully explore maps and found going out of bounds entertaining. Was always confused why that didn't work in Ultimate Doom - didn't know about SPISPOPD until years later!

All the time!! I loved using godmode when I was younger. Nowadays I find games incredibly boring with cheats but the first thing I used to do when I got a new game was checking out if there were any cheats for it.

I cheated some in Wolf3D, then I played it through on Death Incarnate without cheats (now I need source port with map feature). Then there was some IDDQD for health in Thy Flesh Consumed. Other times with cheats were just for fun/testing. Didn't cheat in Final Doom, by then I was experienced enough.

Save/Load are enough cheat already. They're like unlimited lives and checkpoints where ever you want cheat.

All the time when I was a kid. I loved Doom, even though I always (and I mean ALWAYS) used IDDQD + IDFA, and exclusively used the rocket launcher. Just wandering around the environments, splattering every imp in sight was satisfying enough for me. In fact, this is probably the reason I remember The Chasm so fondly. There are several clusters of imps in that level, and sending them flying off ledges with rockets was so much fun! And the thin ledges didn't bother me either. IDCLIP!

I still remember lying once about beating the game without cheating. I played through until the Icon of Sin, put in the final rocket, quickly disabled Godmode and made a save. Looking back on it, I don't think I actually fooled anyone...

1 minute ago, Archvile Hunter said:

I remember The Chasm so fondly.

It really is a beautiful work of art, isn't it?

1 minute ago, TwinBeast said:

Save/Load are enough cheat already. They're like unlimited lives and checkpoints where ever you want cheat.

I feel exactly the same way about saving in Doom nowadays. Every map is a contained challenge, and if you can't get through it without saving, you haven't truly beaten the map. Saves are only to be used if you have to stop playing to do something else, then return later.

I know for a fact that I used cheats when I first started playing the game, but now I try and use little to no cheats at all

5 minutes ago, Pavera said:

It really is a beautiful work of art, isn't it?

Well, I mean, looking back on it now, The Chasm isn't anywhere near the better Doom maps, but it still is very unique. I personally don't find the thin ledges nearly as insulting as most of Doomworld does.

I didn't play with cheats most of the time I played with my dad and we had a thing about switching off when you died. (Although I did IDDQD to give myself 100 health a couple of times when he wasn't looking).

One thing I did used to use cheats for though was getting the Spider Mastermind stuck via teleportation on Map 20 of TNT because I liked to be able to actually look at it since when I was a kid I thought the Spider Mastermind was the absolute best Doom monster.

Aw hell yeah boy, when I was a little kid I used to spam IDDQD and IDKFA, specially IDKFA, blast everything with the BFG, etc. I don't know how I used to have fun playing like that lol

I'm not like that anymoer I swear

Only when I owned The Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 then in early 2010. I was so excited to see the levels that weren't in the snes version. The most stupid thing I used to do was typing IDBEHOLDR to not burn my butt.

I beat doom 1 fairly as a kid, and then learned about IDKFA at some point during thy flesh consumed or doom 2. I 100% cheated through final doom as a kid, though, since I knew all the cheats by then.

You can't really blame kids for cheating imo. It's hard to tell when short-term enjoyment is robbing you of long-term enjoyment, even for adults.

When I was in preschool and early primary school, I always did IDDQD and IDFA. Started playing properly around the time I was 9 or 10, though.

Cheat through, no. I always enjoyed UltraViolence when older me feels its just banging my head against a wall. Cheat after for a wow factor after going through the games, yes. idclip and idclev mostly. I was one of the few that never knew the codes until later.

Yes, I was a cheater.  This was only after crawling my way through the entirety of SNES Doom on UV successfully for the first time which some may well know has no cheats, is significantly shorter, and has no save system.  When getting my hands on PSX Doom and both Dooms on the PC, I was more concerned with comparing the differences of the aesthetics, design, mechanics, music, etc. between the three versions (also learning how to map).  Eventually, yes I did end up playing through them without.

Edited by Psyrus : Words are hard.

I feel 'cheated' because Doom (and computer games in general) weren't around in my childhood, LOL.

But seriously I've never resorted to cheating as far as actual combat is concerned, though I've yet to play allegedly near-impossible stuff like Alien Vendetta or Hell Revealed (completed Plutonia on UV though if that counts....). The only times I ever bail out is on the very few occasions when I can't figure out how to get a key, or work out how to exit a level, in which cases I tend to look at a YouTube video. For me though Doom has always been first and foremost about blowing monsters away and I've not much time for too-clever-by-half level designers who try to spin out the playing time with puzzles.

Edited by Summer Deep : more accurate phraseology

Ye, but on the easiest difficulty. Dumb I know :V

I was 6 at the time. At the time I've only knew IDDQD and IDKFA

I remember before I found the cheats for doom, I would used to save all the time on Doom II at least once a level and play HMP, all the way up to UV with no cheats. Then around 12-13, I found out about IDDQD and ended up playing god-mode right to the end. Became a filthy cheater for all the old shooters, shadow warrior, hexen, heretic. Ruined the games a bit for me though... It wasn't until I got back into Doom about a year or so later, played Doom I on HMP and died on some level of the second episode that I was like - "Damn, I can't believe I died on easy mode." - that I started to try playing without cheats. Haven't played with cheats since then.

as if I don't now...

I'm trying to be better today. Play more in UV, cheat less.

Before I had Doom, and was still playing Wolf3D, but Doom was already out... I had a little paper note with all the Doom cheats written and descriptions what they did.