Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloxxer23

What the heck happened to Doom Touch/D Touch??

I still wonder if D Touch is still being developed. I mean come on, it's the only sourceport available for Android. Will it even be updated with the latest version of GZdoom? Also, multiplayer launcher! (So I don't have to type my ip address again and again and again).

38_ViTa_38 said:

It isn't the only port on Android. There are PrBoom4Android (crashes on Android 5.1 afaIk), DoomGLES, Alphar Doom. But I doubt there will be any updates.

Oh yeah. I forgot. What I meant was D Touch is the only sourceport on Android WITH mod support. Still I wish Beloko continues to improve this masterpiece because I want to play my favorite Doom mods on the go...

The fact that Google took it off the Play Store doesn't help beloko get any motivation to continue. I'm not saying he stopped, just stating the effect it had. I'm sure when beloko has something to show, he'll do so on Amazon.

If he truly did stop, someone in the future can continue working on D-Touch, since the source code was released.

To all you techies: Do Android phones have OpenGL 2.0 support? Because 1.8.6 (the one in D-Touch) has OpenGL 1.x and is the last version to use OpenGL 1.x according to Graf Zahl. Could that be a reason for not updating the GZDoom build in D-Touch?

Voros said:

The fact that Google took it off the Play Store doesn't help beloko get any motivation to continue. I'm not saying he stopped, just stating the effect it had. I'm sure when beloko has something to show, he'll do so on Amazon.

If he truly did stop, someone in the future can continue working on D-Touch, since the source code was released.

To all you techies: Do Android phones have OpenGL 2.0 support? Because 1.8.6 (the one in D-Touch) has OpenGL 1.x and is the last version to use OpenGL 1.x according to Graf Zahl. Could that be a reason for not updating the GZDoom build in D-Touch?

Googled a bit and found this : http://www.openglprojects.in/2015/07/how-to-check-if-android-device-supports-opengl-es-2.0.html?m=1
Does that help?

Android uses OpenGL ES, which is somewhat different from regular OpenGL with a few more restrictions. It is these restrictions which are posing a problem for GZDoom, because one of the things full OpenGL 2.0 ensures is having non-power-of-two textures. GLES would require some adjustments in places like this.

OpenGL ES 1.x is irrelevant by now, there are no relevant phones without 2.0.

How voros write, after google banned them from google play for some reason they dont have motivation to continue. but i know beloko have no problem abandoned they project(Eduke 32 for example). but i think they gone, you dont hear about them long time.

Great to see you again here. If you're updating D-Touch, be sure fix that bug with settings not being saved in Chocolate Doom. And adding navigational keys similar to PrBoom+'s, to Chocolate Doom's automap.

12 minutes ago, Voros said:

Great to see you again here. If you're updating D-Touch, be sure fix that bug with settings not being saved in Chocolate Doom. And adding navigational keys similar to PrBoom+'s, to Chocolate Doom's automap.

Yeah should fix that, basically redoing all the porting and making it cleaner (2nd time is always better :). Planning to add all the features there are in the gzdoom port to the others, including the multitouch map control (zoom, pan).

49 minutes ago, beloko said:

prboom, choc etc.

prboom-plus 2.5.1.4 or 2.5.1.5 r4519? Chocolate Doom 2.3.0 or 3.0? I mean using SDL1 or SDL2, too.

4 minutes ago, 38_ViTa_38 said:

prboom-plus 2.5.1.4 or 2.5.1.5 r4519? Chocolate Doom 2.3.0 or 3.0? I mean using SDL1 or SDL2, too.

I'm trying to remove all SDL1 support. I am planning to only use SDL2 for everything which uses SDL, I have a complatibility layer just in case for SDL1 though. It will be what ever is latest version avaliable at the time I guess, you think that will be OK?

Yeah, the latest versions are ok but using chocolate-doom 2.3.0 would be nice because of multiplayer servers.

2 minutes ago, 38_ViTa_38 said:

Yeah, the latest versions are ok but using chocolate-doom 2.3.0 would be nice because of multiplayer servers.

OK sure, probably 2.3.0 for now.

And because this is basically what's on everyone's mind: GZDoom?

almost forgot: the loading time for PrBoom+ with music is ridiculous. 

Edited by Voros

9 minutes ago, Voros said:

And because this is basically what's on everyone's mind: GZDoom?

Yes looking at GZDoom now, tbh it's all resting on if I can get the graphics on the latest version to actually work!

1 hour ago, Danfun64 said:

What version of GZDoom, considering the major code refactoring going on...

Been looking at GZDoom-GPL, do you think this is good?

The main problem with using GZDoom-GPL is that for obvious reasons, FMod support was removed, and i'm not sure you can run OpenAL in Android. Also, you might want to look at QZDoom-GPL (available here), which is attempting to restore the Software renderer to GZDoom-GPL.

Beloko you're a saint. Nothing beats being at work and able to quickly download a new groundbreaking demo, like 4shockblast's recent e2m8 pacifist, and watch it on my lunch break using only crumbs of mobile data. Let alone still being able to play community mods when my comp goes down; D-Touch is a great program/tool.

I have a couple support questions I'd like to ask you at some point. I'll prolly pm you later on after I formulate rational words, heh.

8 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

and i'm not sure you can run OpenAL in Android.

You can. I even used it in a commercial product once.

Good to see you again beloko, i just want to write that if you can fix the crashing in prboom. doom 2 crashes for me in map 23 in first room. good luck to next update.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Trotl said:

doom 2 crashes for me in map 23 in first room.

Doesn't for me. Maybe your copy has become corrupted. My copy of the IWAD had become corrupted once so that it wouldn't load up at all. Replaced with a fresh copy and it worked.

So got the latest GZDoom-GPL kind of running. The sound doesn't work, there and are no sprites, and performance is pretty bad.

But it's doing something really weird, the view seems to move up and down all the time...

11 hours ago, beloko said:

So got the latest GZDoom-GPL kind of running. The sound doesn't work, there and are no sprites, and performance is pretty bad.

But it's doing something really weird, the view seems to move up and down all the time...

I'm sure you'll fix it in time.

So it now pretty much works, it's using the latest GZDoom-GPL which is aligned to maint2.4. Only issue is performance isn't great, I think slower than the older 2.1 code. Will bench to see where most of the time is going, CPU or renderer.