Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ReX

Another set of DeHacked questions

1. I'm using a .bex patch for the text strings, and I consistently get one problem. I modified the text for picking up the red skull key as follows:

GOTREDSKULL = You found the Master Key

But the in-game message doesn't change. I changed the text for the blue skull, and the in-game message changed just fine. Is there a problem with just the red skull message? If I can't fix the problem I'll probably simply insert a DeHacked text edit.

2. I have replacement graphics for POB1A0 (blood with empty skin) and BRS1A0 (brain w/spinal column). I want to change the height and width of these 2 things. In DeHacked, I went into Thing 135 and Thing 137 and put in the appropriate heights and widths. However, when I play the wad the attributes of these things hasn't changed. I went back in, and using the bit editor I set the "Obstacle" field to be blank. When I went back into the game, the things had disappeared. Next, I set the bit values to be identical to Thing 98 (SMITA0), which is a blocking thing. The things appear in the game, but the heights and widths have not changed (i.e., the things are not blocking). Any solutions?

This isn't really an answer to any of the questions, but I know that when you try to add DEH/BEX files to a port that supposedly supports loading them from the command line, you're lucky if half the changes work.

Actually, I've inserted the .bex patch into my wad (which is a ZDooM wad), in much the same way that a DeHacked patch is inserted. Therefore, no command line is needed. The patch is loaded along with the wad.

The problem with the text portion (for the red skull) may have something to do with the GOTREDSKULL portion. The BooMdeh.txt file lists it that way. Perhaps there's a problem (say, a typo) with that? All the other text edits I've done with the .bex patch work fine (and there are about 2 dozen of those).

The problem with the thing edit portion is anyone's guess.

Are you sure u didnt change da "RED KEY CARD" text instead of the "RED SKULL KEY" one.. Cuz i do da a few times myself.

Randy Heit (of ZDooM fame) posted that the text string is actually GOTREDSKUL, not GOTREDSKULL (as given in BooMdeh.txt). I'm off to try it.

I'm using ZDooM, but the .bex text strings are supposed to work on any BooM-compatible port.