Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrCacod3mon

Door + Switch doom builder 2

I'm trying to make a recreation of E1M1 from Ultimate Doom in Doom 2 but I am having a bit problems getting the one door to open beside where you spawn in the level.

I'm using Doom Builder 2 and I don't know how to make a switch activate a door. Can anyone help telling me how you can make a switch activate a door?

Guest Unregistered account

If you wanna make a switch activate a door: right-click the switch's linedef, and just look for a line action with "SR" at the start (S refers to 'switch', R refers to 'repeatable' - so it can be activated an infinite number of times. If you only want your door to open once, look for an action beginning with 'S1' - for example, if you want your door to open once and stay open), and has the line action you want. Then just make sure both the switch sidedef and your door sector share the same tag!

Here's a tutorial that explains it better than I can:

Hope this helped!

On a related note, what are the legal implications of remaking a Doom 1 level in Doom 2?

Edit: I'll also ask this over in the Miscellaneous Question thread with a bit more detail, don't want to hijack this thread more.

Edited by Bauul

well Bauul, E1M1 is my favourite level from Ultimate Doom and i was looking for a E1M1 remake on the internet, but i couldn't find a single one so i tried to see if i could recreate that so its a Doom 2 version of E1M1 (a few changes of textures.)

thats why i'm making a E1M1 remake in doom 2.

1 hour ago, MrCacod3mon said:

I followed the steps and it did work!!!! thanks Kapanyo!!!

No problem! :3

Feel free to post any more problems you encounter here, or have a quick flick through more of Chubz' mapping tutorials!

58 minutes ago, Bauul said:

On a related note, what are the legal implications of remaking a Doom 1 level in Doom 2?

I seriously doubt there would be any problems with remaking a level in another game. Unless the geometry was pixel-perfect or slightly edited and the sector numbers were identical, there shouldn't be any problem.

(Speaking of which, on a different topic, checking sector numbers would be a good way of making sure a level isn't just an iWAD edit before blocking them from iDgames - there's a jokeWAD on YouTube containing a level based off of E1M1, which was removed, despite it being created from scratch)

I can't check your file right now =( (I'm on mobile) but it sounds like you tried copy-pasting the map across with only Vertices selected.

Note that the Doomworld iDgames archive for WADs does NOT allow WADs that include modified iWAD maps - yours falls under this category.

It's fine! There's nothing wrong with fiddling around with existing levels (in fact, it can be a ton of fun). The only rule is, don't distribute it (apart from with friends) - as well as being banned from iDgames, iWAD edits are often seen as misleading to potential players, or lazy.

But you can do whatever you want with yours! Just watch out for accidentally saving over the original maps - I accidentally did that a few times, and ended up with a Doom II iWAD without Level 1... =|

Modified id levels won't get you banned, they're just rejected IIRC.

On 19/3/2017 at 7:49, Guest Unregistered account said:

Si desea hacer que un interruptor active una puerta: haga clic con el botón derecho en la definición de línea del interruptor y busque una acción de línea con "SR" al principio (S se refiere a 'interruptor', R se refiere a 'repetible', por lo que puede ser activado un número infinito de veces. Si solo desea que su puerta se abra una vez, busque una acción que comience con 'S1', por ejemplo, si desea que su puerta se abra una vez y permanezca abierta), y tiene la acción de línea que desea . ¡Entonces solo asegúrese de que tanto el lado del interruptor como el sector de su puerta compartan la misma etiqueta!

Aquí hay un tutorial que lo explica mejor que yo:

Dont work dam

¡Espero que esto haya ayudado!