Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
42PercentHealth

Doom Boogie?

Hi all,

First off, I'm not a metal head. The original Doom music was fine, and it fit the mood and action of the game well, but metal is just not what I listen to throughout the day.

So am I weird, or is there anyone else who thinks that some fast R&B (boogie, funk, etc.) would make decent Doom music? Something like this.

I'd also be curious how some classical or classic rock might fit...

Let me know what you think, or if you have other non-canonical music genres that you'd like to see in a Doom WAD.

44 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Something like this.

It might just be my opinion only, but something of this nature in my honest opinion might come across as too comedic and unsuited to a standard Doom map. If the map itself breaks the mold of what we're used to, then the music being equally different would be fine though. But in an IWAD / standard doom map setting, for me I'd mute the music.

1 hour ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Let me know what you think, or if you have other non-canonical music genres that you'd like to see in a Doom WAD.

Dubstep. I'm not even kidding. I want to hear the Doom II soundtrack with heavy beats, sick drops and time signature experimentation; the stock music is on average a little bit too laid-back for such a violent game, I feel. It's bizarre that some of my favourite tunes are the laid-back ones (Waiting for Romero to Play, Message for the Archvile, etc) but they don't really suit either the game or the way I play (reckless, fast-paced).

I mean, I generally crave more heavy EBM/electro/industrial with my Doom anyway -- I love me some metal, but it's so ubiquitous when Doom's concerned it really does grate sometimes.

37 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

It might just be my opinion only, but something of this nature in my honest opinion might come across as too comedic and unsuited to a standard Doom map. If the map itself breaks the mold of what we're used to, then the music being equally different would be fine though. But in an IWAD / standard doom map setting, for me I'd mute the music.

Probably so. I tend to be the comedic type, and there's not much I take seriously (perhaps to a fault), so maybe that's what attracts me to this type of music.

This works pretty well.

I wouldn't go so far as to say any song will work, but I bet you can find songs from any genre that will: what's more important are the structuring and the instrumentation (can only do so much with the GM2 format and with certain MIDI instruments many are used to). I daresay you could take just about any song and "Doomify" it, even if the song doesn't fit as-is.

38 minutes ago, CapnClever said:

This works pretty well.

I wouldn't go so far as to say any song will work, but I bet you can find songs from any genre that will: what's more important are the structuring and the instrumentation (can only do so much with the GM2 format and with certain MIDI instruments many are used to). I daresay you could take just about any song and "Doomify" it, even if the song doesn't fit as-is.

Interesting... I would never have guessed that "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" would be so Doom-compatible. But like you said, it worked. This is exactly why I brought up the topic -- I'm looking into making some Doom music, but I want to create something that's not been used to death.

I am aware that the next I say would sound absolutely (ed/crin)gy, but for my "school shooting" map I used a 8bit version of Pumped Up Kicks by Foster The People, and the song itself is a song about a kid shooting other kids, which in term could mean a school shooting song.

And the song fits oh so much within Doom. I wish there was a midi version, but 8bit fit in just well. And it isn't violent metal or a stupid beat or a horror melody either.

9 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

I am aware that the next I say would sound absolutely (ed/crin)gy, but for my "school shooting" map I used a 8bit version of Pumped Up Kicks by Foster The People, and the song itself is a song about a kid shooting other kids, which in term could mean a school shooting song.

And the song fits oh so much within Doom. I wish there was a midi version, but 8bit fit in just well. And it isn't violent metal or a stupid beat or a horror melody either.

Dude! Why do you make a school shooting map?!? :-o

I know -- all the research says that kids who play games like that aren't influenced by them. But to me, it still just feels wrong.

7 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Dude! Why do you make a school shooting map?!? :-o

I know -- all the research says that kids who play games like that aren't influenced by them. But to me, it still just feels wrong.

Call it trying to be a cool edgy kid with his own "school shooting map yeah muthafuckas you should fear me".

Eventually it became my pet project, trying to replicate my high school 1:1, making iterations and iterations. Latest iteration is the "Seventh Incarnation" with the song mentioned above

16 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

Call it trying to be a cool edgy kid with his own "school shooting map yeah *** you should fear me".

Eventually it became my pet project, trying to replicate my high school 1:1, making iterations and iterations. Latest iteration is the "Seventh Incarnation" with the song mentioned above

Ah, fair enough. I won't judge.

24 minutes ago, Za Warudo said:

By "boogie" do you mean Boogie Wonderland by Earth,Wind and Fire ;)

I was just referring to the boogie-woogie genre in general. Any examples are fair game! :-)

Check the "Rock It!" music archives on /idgames/ in /music/. There's both standard metal and there's another with electronicy stuff.