Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roofi

Can the doomguy hear the music in the map?

Hello , a silly question that I asked to myself while playing Doom.

Everyone uses a music in his map to give a more pronounced atmosphere and to not bore the player , but our character must also hear it too , no?

If yes , How is the music spreading so that it can be easily listenable everywhere in the map?  How the music is playing? Is there a secret jukebox in every map? Or maybe a secret orchestra in a secret sector which stop playing the same music when our strong marine finish a level?

There is diegetic and non-diegetic sound. Diegetic is the one playing inside the fictional setting and player/actors can listen to it. Non-diegetic one is one outside the setting and player/actors cannot listen.

I think music in Doom is non-diegetic.

I have a doubt about the pick-up sound. Is it diagetic? Does Doomguy really hear that sound when picking up stuff?

Physically he cannot, no. There is no music playing in the actual map. Personally I always thought of the music as being the current mood of the level being turned into music that we the player hear, and perhaps something along those lines is going through the Doomguy's head too. You know the feeling of adrenaline of a MAP01 type music, just imagine Doomguy must be in adrenaline mode too. Then after it wears off, you get a slower paced and relaxed Healer Stalks type of track.

He probably wears the invisible headphones and the walkman (in vanilla doom) and the mp3 player (in zdoom and others).

@Angry Saint: +1 for using proper media-industry terminology! I believe it's dependent on the player's interpretation. As Voros points out, it could indeed be diegetic sound by being audio played through the marine's helmet. I would argue against this though as you would then be unlikely to hear the demons over the music, unless they were really loud. This still doesn't explain some other noises such as the pickup sounds. Also, it's be odd for 'doomguy' to be playing some moody, atmospheric midis, heh.

Logically speaking, the music, pickup sounds and other sound effects are purely for the player and assist in making the game feel like a game. Interesting idea though!

In 2013 I made a level ("Nextgen Computer Station") where when you press the exit switch you don't win and only hear the intermission music. Then you get outside and yep, you find a giant jukebox that plays the song.

10 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

As Voros points out, it could indeed be diegetic sound by being audio played through the marine's helmet. I would argue against this though as you would then be unlikely to hear the demons over the music, unless they were really loud. This still doesn't explain some other noises such as the pickup sounds.

Maybe the demons are loud or the music is playing at the right volume so that both sounds can be heard.

13 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Also, it's be odd for 'doomguy' to be playing some moody, atmospheric midis, heh

A lot of things about Doomguy are just plain weird, like why he has such mad skills while his teammates died to an imp or why he doesn't look up or down or why he "walks" so freaking fast (insert Maes' janitor story) or why he can survive gigantic falls and other stuff.

I don't know about the doomguy but the monsters hear it for sure. Just load Entryway and observe the start room zombies tapping their feet to the music.

@Grain of Salt, care to explain why? Just saying "No" isn't going to cut it, you know... ;)

Anyway, the beauty of video games is that with questions like this one in particular, the answer is left to the gamer's imagination.

50 minutes ago, Memfis said:

I don't know about the doomguy but the monsters hear it for sure. Just load Entryway and observe the start room zombies tapping their feet to the music.

Those Zombiemen sure love their D_RUNNIN.

Let me twist that question... can Doomguy see the demons or is it only we the players who can? Perhaps these demons appear to be simple staff members to him... but he has no control over what actions we force him to do.

According to Id, the doomguy is "you".  You hear the music, thus, so does Doomguy.

Weird, but apparently there's speakers all over Mars (and Hell) blasting copyright-evading versions of heavy metal and hard rock songs, 12 bar blues songs, and the occasional tense atmospheric song.

The sounds at Doom3 at that computer place, where you have to find some replacement panel, sound like the music from Doom.

9 hours ago, Jayextee said:

Internal Digital Music Uplink System (IDMUS)

Head-canon updated.

On 2017-03-21 at 2:34 PM, Memfis said:

this is the real reason the demons invaded Mars and subsequently Earth; the music was just too damn good to resist.

15 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

Yes the Doomguy is running around hell with an iPod.

I think in '93 it would have been a walkman, right?

Of course, in 2486 (or whatever year Doom happens), they probably will have microchips you can get planted in your brain so that you think you hear music all the time.

I want to believe that our beloved doomguy can hear music in map no matter what.

It's not "music", Doomguy simply has very melodic tinnitus from all the close range explosions. 

He always wears headphones under his helmet, and his favorite band is slayer. When he dies he emits a scream of pain and agony symbolizing that he has released the true metal head inside and turns the volume to max, rotting his brain from the inside.

The real reason why the doomguy kills all the demons is not because their evil incarnate but because he honestly hates their music and will gladly kill all of them to turn the music off on each level.  The icon of sin on map30 in doom2 is none other than the dj player of hell and the doomguy makes it his mission to shut up his dreadful music once and for all.

Just my two cents.