Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KVELLER

Spanish translation for GZDOOM/Traducción al español para GZDOOM

31 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Y la traducción de "arma" sería "weapon", ya que gun sólo se refiere a armas de fuego.

9 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Busqué sinónimos:

Sello:

marca, timbre, sigilo, señal, carácter

Aparentemente sello o sigilo es lo mismo en este contexto.

Well, I learned two new things today!

About badass, I don't know if there is an "accurate" translation. "Chingón" or "cabrón" may be understood in most of Mexico, but they will confuse people from other countries. I just can't think (or find online for that matter) of any word that conveys the meaning of badass with all the "force" of the term.

I'll think about this.

1 hour ago, Zed said:

About badass, I don't know if there is an "accurate" translation. "Chingón" or "cabrón" may be understood in most of Mexico, but they will confuse people from other countries.

Indeed it will. In my country we only use "cabrón" and for us it isn't even near to being a badass.

I just remembered that the gender selection in the player setup is useless for this translation right now, but I don't really care personally.

A ver, ¿Cómo traducirian Revenant?, en caso de hacer la traducción a los monstruos, porque la verdad no se me ocurre como traducirlo.

1 hour ago, FTM said:

A ver, ¿Cómo traducirian Revenant?, en caso de hacer la traducción a los monstruos, porque la verdad no se me ocurre como traducirlo.

Dejaremos los nombres originales. Suenan mejor y nos ahorramos dolores de cabeza como ese.

After a lot of thinking / searching, I think that it cannot be accurately translated without resorting to "local expressions". Chingón, for Mexico, is mostly accurate, but it is a local expression and will not be understood by many outsiders, same for papudo or pichudo (where is this from Gerardo? my quick search seems to show Costa Rica), and so on. So it seems that, in this case, the answer pretty much depends on who are you communicating with.

47 minutes ago, FTM said:

21 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Dejaremos los nombres originales. Suenan mejor y nos ahorramos dolores de cabeza como ese.

Come on, don't give up so fast! :P

About revenant, it's basic meaning is something like "revived corpse", or something like that (it's even implied in the manual). In Spanish, I think that "renacido" or "resucitado" could do the trick, or what do you think?

EDIT: Mancubus is a little more tricky. It comes from Latin "incubus" and "sucubus" apparently. See this:

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/18980-the-origin-of-the-mancubus/

The link by Grazza no longer works, but I think it is clear that either mancubus stays like that (which will seem weird amongst the translated names),  or come up with some sort of neologism trying to convey the meaning of a couple of Latin words combined with an English "prefix".

I will also think about this.

Edited by Zed

On 21/3/2017 at 10:06 PM, Zed said:

After a lot of thinking / searching, I think that it cannot be accurately translated without resorting to "local expressions". Chingón, for Mexico, is mostly accurate, but it is a local expression and will not be understood by many outsiders, same for papudo or pichudo (where is this from Gerardo? my quick search seems to show Costa Rica), and so on. So it seems that, in this case, the answer pretty much depends on who are you communicating with.

He he, 燃えたろ?... Err I mean, Pura Vida!!! Soy de Costa Rica!!

Edited by Gerardo194 : minor edits.

15 hours ago, Zed said:

My goal is that anyone who knows spanish can understand. So I'll just use something of a more common word, even if it's not as accurate like "chingón" in Mexico.

Also, I'm translating Hexen: DotDC and I'm confused with this:

"If even the power of the Chaos Sphere isn't enough to potect you from the forces of evil, perhaps it is better left untouched, * its promise left unkept *"

I don't get that last sentence.

Edited by KVELLER : Damn typos

Where is badass used anyway? If it's just for the E1 ending text, then it simply refers to the bruiser brothers (or other monsters), not anyone too admirable as the word suggests. I think you can just use some tough guy wording when referring to the barons. Or adapt it to the context. The whole E1 ending text is so colloquial that it needs to really sound natural in its target language.

Isn't there an official French translation to use as inspiration? Or is it only for Doom 2?

EDIT: mancubus seems a made up word, it makes no sense in English, so there's no point to translate its "man" part, unless it sounds funny in Spanish.

Edited by printz : Mancubus translation why?

1 hour ago, printz said:

Where is badass used anyway? If it's just for the E1 ending text, then it simply refers to the bruiser brothers (or other monsters), not anyone too admirable as the word suggests. I think you can just use some tough guy wording when referring to the barons. Or adapt it to the context. The whole E1 ending text is so colloquial that it needs to really sound natural in its target language.

That's a good point actually. I guess I'm trying to be Mr. Perfection when it isn't really needed.

The bruiser brothers are the big badasses, correct me if I'm wrong but they are tough, taller than you, super powerful, impressive and so on. It is said that the word badass is a cursed word and it wouldn't make sense if we translate the E1 ending this way:

"una vez que vences a los grandes chingones/papudos /pichudos y limpiando la base lunar..." 

It sounds weird to me. But based on some examples about these words in a Spanish context they may imply something phenomenal, extraordinary, incredible, beastly/brutal(depending on the case and place) I would translate it this way: 

"una vez que vences a las bestialidades/barbaridades/mounstruosidades y limpiando la base lunar..." this one sounds good to me but it's just my opinion.

Now about the Revenant it can be "resucitado" because revenant is said to be a French word; and Mancubus would be Mancubo, based on we say Sucubo and Incubo.

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

Also, I'm translating Hexen: DotDC and I'm confused with this:

"If even the power of the Chaos Sphere isn't enough to potect you from the forces of evil, perhaps it is better left untouched, * its promise left unkept *"

I don't get that last sentence.

It's been a while since the last time I played Deathkings, can you post the rest to have a little more context?

As it is, I would translate it as *su promesa no se mantuvo* or *su promesa no se cumplió*, but I am not sure. I am assuming that it is referring to the last part of the preceding sentence ("...perhaps it is better left untouched").

I agree with Printz about "badass". It is better to just pick a word that fits nicely based on the context, rather than trying to come up with some obscure term that probably no one will understand.

And...

48 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

That's a good point actually. I guess I'm trying to be Mr. Perfection when it isn't really needed.

Actually, I would like the translation to be as accurate (or "perfect") as possible. I've seen way to many mediocre translations, I want this to come out nicely done. I'm sure we can do this.

See you later.

How are you supposed to address the player? With tu or usted?

And what are you gonna do if his/her/its gender comes into play in story texts? Problem is that ZDoom allows player to choose it. Or that never happens?

3 minutes ago, printz said:

And what are you gonna do if his/her/its gender comes into play in story texts? Or that never happens?

Definitely "tú", usted is too formal, especially for this type of videogame.

And I don't remember gender mentioned anywhere, but that shouldn't pose a problem, I think.

1 hour ago, printz said:

And what are you gonna do if his/her/its gender comes into play in story texts? Problem is that ZDoom allows player to choose it. Or that never happens?

The gender thing is used only in death messages and stuff like that.

31 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

Now about the Revenant it can be "resucitado" because revenant is said to be a French word

It is.

Noun formed from the present participle form of "revenir", meaning to come back. Something like "regresante" in Spanish, maybe?

1 hour ago, Zed said:

It's been a while since the last time I played Deathkings, can you post the rest to have a little more context?

Here you go:

once again you find yourself in the 
great hall of the chaos sphere, as
if no time had passed from when
last you moved among these shadows.

but something is eerily different,
a silence where once had been soft
whispers, a sense of being watched
by hidden eyes...

...eyes which shield a malefic 
intent.

once before you grasped the chaos
sphere, held it within trembling
hands. now your hands tremble with
something more than avarice, and
dread meshes with the hunger for
power.

if even the power of the sphere is
not enough to protect you from the
forces of darkness, perhaps it is
better left untouched, its promise
left unkept.

but then, you never were one to
back down from a challenge...

...and other players await.

28 minutes ago, Gez said:

It is.

Noun formed from the present participle form of "revenir", meaning to come back. Something like "regresante" in Spanish, maybe?

While "regresar" ("to come back", "to return") is a valid term in Spanish, "regresante" is not (at least I haven't heard it).

Revenant coming from "revenir" does even makes sense in Spanish (I could interpret it as "re"="again", "venir"="come"), but "revenir" is not a word in Spanish (though I guess you could use re-venir in a very informal context).

That said, probably "renacido" is the best (that's even the translation I've seen for the recent film "The Revenant").

25 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Here you go:

once again you find yourself in the 
great hall of the chaos sphere, as
if no time had passed from when
last you moved among these shadows.

but something is eerily different,
a silence where once had been soft
whispers, a sense of being watched
by hidden eyes...

...eyes which shield a malefic 
intent.

once before you grasped the chaos
sphere, held it within trembling
hands. now your hands tremble with
something more than avarice, and
dread meshes with the hunger for
power.

if even the power of the sphere is
not enough to protect you from the
forces of darkness, perhaps it is
better left untouched, its promise
left unkept.

but then, you never were one to
back down from a challenge...

...and other players await.

Thanks.

Looking at this (oh boy this brings memories!), I think my attempt is not good.

Let me try again, I'll see what I can come up with.

EDIT: By the way, I thought you might find this interesting, I stumbled upon it a couple of hours ago:

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/185440/where-does-the-slang-word-bad-ass-badass-come-from

Edited by Zed : extra info

35 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

The gender thing is used only in death messages and stuff like that.

Not even in adjectives talking about player's current situation? Are you sure? Here's an example:

"The hideous cyberdemon lord that ruled the lost Deimos moon base has been slain and now you are triumphant!" I suppose you can replace that with a verb or noun.

Another case, perhaps more powerful: "You've proven too tough for hell to contain"

@KVELLER

OK, let's see.

A I understand it, that paragraph would be something like this:

"si incluso el poder de la esfera no es suficiente para protegerte de las fuerzas de la obscuridad, tal vez sea mejor no tocarla, que su promesa no se cumpla"

Es decir, parece que habla acerca de una promesa que la esfera ha hecho (asumiendo que uno la posee), pero siendo que la misma no te puede proteger de las "fuerzas de la obscuridad", mejor no tomar la esfera y, como dicen en España, "pasar de sus promesas de grandeza"...

@printz

triumphant can be translated as "triunfante", which is neutral.

tough can be translated as rudo / ruda (m / f), duro / dura (same), but also as fuerte (n).

1 hour ago, printz said:

Not even in adjectives talking about player's current situation? Are you sure? Here's an example:

"The hideous cyberdemon lord that ruled the lost Deimos moon base has been slain and now you are triumphant!" I suppose you can replace that with a verb or noun.

Another case, perhaps more powerful: "You've proven too tough for hell to contain"

The gender selection in ZDoom only affect messages. About the translation of these texts into Spanish, I'm just assuming the player's gender as male. If there's a thing that bothers me about Spanish is that EVERYTHING has to have a defined gender.

10 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

If there's a thing that bothers me about Spanish is that EVERYTHING has to have a defined gender.

Dunno, I like that, makes it much easier to tell the gender of people writing about themselves. It adds more personality to the text.

1 hour ago, printz said:

Dunno, I like that, makes it much easier to tell the gender of people writing about themselves. It adds more personality to the text.

Well, yes, but when it comes to talking about objects it's a bit silly IMO.

14 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Well, yes, but when it comes to talking about objects it's a bit silly IMO.

One of the main reasons translations may be difficult is because languages don't mirror each other 100%, so it forces us to find "alternatives", which can be a pain in the ass, honestly (and I see where you are coming from in this), but the satisfaction of doing it succesfully far outweights the "limitations" we may face.

Or at least that's how I see it.

NEW UPDATE

- I left the original monster names for now.

- In the Doom Episode 1 text I translated "the big badasses" as "las grandes bestias". This is possibly going to change in the future.

- Fixed typos and a couple of translation mistakes. I also took some of the suggestions for items and weapon names (special mention to Zed here).

- Hexen and Deathkings of the Dark Citadel have been translated. Korax's dialogues are still in English though. I couldn't find them in the LANGUAGE lump, so I'm guessing they are part of the ACS scripts.

- The GZDoom interface has been translated. There's a couple of strings that are untranslated for... some reason. I'm not sure what happened there. The menu is also very "claustrophobic" due to the long nature of Spanish sentences. I did my best to accommodate everything, including translating "On/Off" as "Sí/No". It's incorrect, but it can be understood and it saves space.

- These are 3 files now instead of a single one.

This is due to the fact that I had to include the MAPINFO lump from Hexen to change the map names, which causes problems with other games (specially with the music). Besides, Deathkings would have conflicts with the texts from Hexen since they use the same lump names. I guess I could have avoided this by putting the problematic lumps in separate directories inside the .pk3 file and somehow program the lumps to be loaded only with specific IWADs, but I don't even know if that's possible. If anyone has info about this please let me know.

Edited by KVELLER : Missing info

Nice to see another update.

I have some stuff to do, not sure if I will be able to post in a couple of days, but I'll try to give some feedback on this late files.

Have a nice day.

1 hour ago, Zed said:

Nice to see another update.

I have some stuff to do, not sure if I will be able to post in a couple of days, but I'll try to give some feedback on this late files.

Have a nice day.

I'm already really thankful for all the feedback you've given to the proyect. Just do what you have to do and come back when you feel like it.

On 3/21/2017 at 0:54 PM, Rachael said:

I wonder why ZDoom does not offer the option... but that would also have a lot to do with the operating system, too, because apparently that's where it gets its codes from.

And it really seems as if the ISO-639 language codes are not nearly "complete" enough to help with this, either...

It's definitely possible there are more language codes; IIRC the list on the ZDoom wiki was taken from some Windows documentation a long time ago.

22 hours ago, KVELLER said:

- In the Doom Episode 1 text I translated "the big badasses" as "las grandes bestias". This is possibly going to change in the future.

I like that! It reminds me of "666, the number of the beast".