Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
riderr3

Which map editor was used to create No Rest For The Living for Doom 2?

This is the official mapset, so I'm just curious.
Doom Builder? Slade or DeepSea? Or their own map editor?

I think Doombuilder 2 3D Mode camera thing objects can be found in the maps. I haven't checked but that's what I heard.

18 minutes ago, 40oz said:

I think Doombuilder 2 3D Mode camera thing objects can be found in the maps.

Can confirm, but only in maps 1, 3, 4, and 9.

So that's all the maps from TheCastle, and none of the Squibbons maps.

so squibbons must have used DEU obviously

I wish Squibbons would make some more maps at some point; definitely the highlights of the episode. Also, I'm not sure that all versions of DB2 added 3d mode cameras.

They definitely all do, unless you never ever used 3D mode even once while building the map. The camera has been around since Doom Builder 1.

Alternatively you can hunt and delete them.

10 minutes ago, Fonze said:

Also, I'm not sure that all versions of DB2 added 3d mode cameras.

6 minutes ago, Gez said:

They definitely all do, unless you never ever used 3D mode even once while building the map. The camera has been around since Doom Builder 1.

Not all versions of Doombuilder cleared the camera's skill bits, leading to maps that would crash vanilla with unknown thing types. Perhaps that's what Fonze is thinking of?

Yeah that came out a bit wonky. I simply meant that not all versions added the "thing" into the map and left it permanently (unless moved/deleted) there. At least one or two versions must have done something right because I rarely had to worry about finding and deleting them (f3->32000) before upgrading to GZDB, though at least one or two versions of DB2 I used years ago around the time I started mapping did add them in and leave them as "things." Perhaps map format might have had something to do with it?

I can't offer a decent explanation of why, just my own (worthless) anecdotal evidence. *shrug* I think RjY has it right.

If the camera thingie was left on the map, wouldn't that trigger a P_SpawnMapThing: Unknown type %i at (%i, %i) error in vanilla Doom?

8 minutes ago, axdoom1 said:

If the camera thingie was left on the map, wouldn't that trigger a P_SpawnMapThing: Unknown type %i at (%i, %i) error in vanilla Doom?

Not if its skill bits are all zero. Then P_SpawnMapThing skips it before the error is reached.

I always prefer to not have the camera things present in the map. I don't care if the game doesn't use it or not, I don't want it to be there. The camera works perfectly fine without it anyway, it just doesn't remember where the camera is when closing and opening the map.