Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Most recent movie you saw

Last thing I watched all the way through was Chinatown

Brilliantly paced, acted, absolutely stunning to look at, and its greatness all hinges on its mercilessly horrific ending. Great movie!

walter confalonieri said:

Mad Max series. Damn, what a movies! Especially fury road is fucking metal.

I need to watch that series now. I just saw Fury Road and holy shit, that was a good movie.

Went to see Kong last night, it was beyond cool and worth seeing in the theatre. If you like monster movies with crazy fights and cool effects, I recommend it.

31 by rob zombie. It was very good, many interesting characters, special effects and makeup was quite good. The plot wasn't totally predictible (minus the ending). I liked the midget a lot.

The Usual Suspects - Wasn't really digging it until the very end. One of the very best and most unexpected endings I've ever seen in a movie. The ending's a bit far fetched, but it raised the quality of everything that came before it substantially.

I saw Hellraiser last night! Funny that I see this thread right after, considering I noticed a LOT of things in that movie that likely influenced Doom.

Logan - good drama! Not like "wow", but honestly I was touched even though I know almost nothing about the universe. Nice attention to little details like the pink glasses or that western movie they were watching. Gradually all that stuff piles up and becomes quite emotional. Very likeable child actor, and I guess it helped a lot that most of the time she was silent (I think kids in movies can quickly become kinda annoying when they talk too much). Some deaths are kinda unsatisfying in how non-epic they are, but that's probably just me being more used to anime where killings are usually a bigger deal. Well done action too, I liked a good portion of it.

Tonight I watched Blue Ruin, it was probably better because I watched it with some friends, as I am sure it would be obnoxious by myself. I like the concept of a bumbling avenger, it was tense and well done. A lot of waiting to see how he's going to fuck his next move up, I didn't like that the people he is hunting all turn into snarling movie villains when they are cornered. It would have been more interesting if they were not directly involved, scared and confused. It seemed like a real easy way out and a bit of a compromise. Overall a good movie in the spirit of Breaking Bad and No Country For Old Men.

Superman movie quadogy from the 80s. If you want to see laughable physics those are your movies. I love them.

On 3/12/2017 at 1:09 PM, MrGlide said:

31 by rob zombie. It was very good, many interesting characters, special effects and makeup was quite good. The plot wasn't totally predictible (minus the ending). I liked the midget a lot.

31 I saw this as well. The villains are the most interesting considering they had to have more villains than heroes. Yes the little person Hitler that spoke Spanish. It was an enjoyable movie and I sat through like 30 minutes of the 2 hour documentary. They do a lot with their cinematography, light and color considering the majority of it is filmed in a factory. Like Saw 2 meets the Purge and far better than Lords of Salem. Wow that movie was bad. 3 words sums it up, "Naked elderly witches."

Central Intelligence is a fantastic comedy. The Rock as a big dorky nerd with muscles CIA agent and Kevin Hart as the straight man let's not do that sort of guy. What really helps the movie is the hook of not knowing who the bad guy is, but putting everyone in place so they could be.

Kill Command is a big, small budget movie where robots are learning to hunt humans. Its budget because the movie is essentially soldiers in the woods and empty buildings being hunted, yet big budget with so many special and practical effects. The land robots seem practical effects while other stuff seems like quality special effects. Its not my kind of movie as usually any thing that seems "budget science fiction" tends to be Sy-Fy Channel quality, but I enjoyed Kill Command.

I mostly remember Westworld as that one movie that was referenced in System Shock 2. Only just now have I seen it. Quite excellent and very unique. Interested in watching the TV series now.

On 3/14/2017 at 6:37 AM, untilitdies said:

I saw Hellraiser last night! Funny that I see this thread right after, considering I noticed a LOT of things in that movie that likely influenced Doom.

The first one is great, and the rest are worth watching if only for the cenobite scenes, which are so damn cool.

16 hours ago, varth said:

Tonight I watched Blue Ruin, it was probably better because I watched it with some friends, as I am sure it would be obnoxious by myself. I like the concept of a bumbling avenger, it was tense and well done. A lot of waiting to see how he's going to fuck his next move up, I didn't like that the people he is hunting all turn into snarling movie villains when they are cornered. It would have been more interesting if they were not directly involved, scared and confused. It seemed like a real easy way out and a bit of a compromise. Overall a good movie in the spirit of Breaking Bad and No Country For Old Men.

Families like that are common in rural regions of the US -- and especially if they're involved in criminal activity. Much of the point of the movie is a tale of the vicious cycle of violence and revenge, and what happens when people refuse to back down or let go. None of it would've happened if Dwight hadn't killed Wade, but he was clearly never able to let go of his parents' death (dude lives in the car his parents were murdered in FFS.) And the Cleland family aren't willing to let go of Dwight killing Wade -- and it's clear they have their own ways of dealing with problems that don't involve police, which really illustrates the kind of family they are and what they get up to.

In the end Dwight realizes the value of backing off -- but too late to save him. Save for the boy, the Clelands never figure it out, and end up paying for it too.

Out for Justice (1991)

Above the Law (1988)

Two classic Steven Seagal action movies. I don't care if they're cheesy, I think they're highly entertaining.

Doctor Strange. Was incredibly boring, but I like Benedryl Cumberbindle so I waived my strict 'no stupid superhero movies' rule to see this when it hit Amazon video. It's well produced and acted I suppose, but devoid of any originality, suspense or interesting characters. Not too surprising. I would not recommend this film to any grown adult.

7 hours ago, dethtoll said:

Families like that are common in rural regions of the US -- and especially if they're involved in criminal activity. Much of the point of the movie is a tale of the vicious cycle of violence and revenge, and what happens when people refuse to back down or let go. None of it would've happened if Dwight hadn't killed Wade, but he was clearly never able to let go of his parents' death (dude lives in the car his parents were murdered in FFS.) And the Cleland family aren't willing to let go of Dwight killing Wade -- and it's clear they have their own ways of dealing with problems that don't involve police, which really illustrates the kind of family they are and what they get up to.

In the end Dwight realizes the value of backing off -- but too late to save him. Save for the boy, the Clelands never figure it out, and end up paying for it too.

Right, I got that, but with that it just presents a predictable process to play out until the credits. I felt there should have been more complexity and reality injected into the situation, it would have been a far uglier and memorable movie. As it stands I highly recommend it as a newer movie.

Kong skull island. perhaps the best movie I'v seen in my life. I am extremely impressed. 

Sorcerer from 1977, a nihilistic suicide mission masterpiece William Friedkin directed after coming off the success of The Exorcist. It was unfortunately buried and forgotten by Star Wars but has gained steady momentum in notoriety as the years go on. An utterly bleak miserable mood piece where the dread of a violent sudden death hangs over every frame is enhanced by a coldly morose Tangerine Dream soundtrack. Adjectives! This is pure cinematic bliss, the movie is also a remake of the French classic Wages of Fear which I also highly recommend, if you enjoy the violent bleak films of Nicolas Winding Refn then this is his cinematic granddaddy. The story is told more through silent stares of despair than any meaningful dialogue, every character is a worthless piece of shit, and a strange miasma of decay and death threads throughout. It is also a masterpiece of small performances of many interesting characters that come in and out of the movie in minutes, it feels epic while maintaining a tight brisk pace. I fucking love this movie and have watched it many times over and over.

Hidden Figures - eh, dunno. It was norm but not much stood out for me apart from the boss that said "I'm already on the moon" or something, and the woman that was fighting for her rights to study at some place. I think the beginning was the most entertaining part because of the setting which felt fresh for a while. Maybe I was expecting it to be more intelligent based on the premise. Probably not worth watching unless you're highly interested in the theme.

I saw Logan and must say, it's great. I came in with little expectations but overall it was dramatic with good action. It's definitely superior to most Xmen and Wolverine movies but it's also a different and darker tone.

Titanic 3D in cinema. Very good 3D, it was pleasure for me.

Last masterpiece of David Cameron.

I've seen all four movies many times before, but just recently rewatched Tremors and Tremors 2. I usually skip Tremors 3 and 4 if I am doing a rewatch. The first one is great, second one still decent. Third and fourth are very meh, although 3 is easily the worst one IMO. Tremors 4 is good only because it explains the origin of them even before the first movie, which is worth a watch in itself.

In the last couple weeks we watched Thief, an early 80s noir classic about a jewel thief trying to make one last big score, and last night we watched The Great Gatsby (the new one) which was actually really good, if rather dreamlike.

Despite a few problems, I also rather liked the newer Gatsby. Even with Bahz Luhrmen's usual cliches, I thought it fit the themes of the novel far better than previous efforts to adapt it. It's glitz-and-gloss aesthetics and over-abundance of style managed to help it, rather than kill it I feel, unlike other BL films. 

Meanwhile, I saw the Wrath of Kahn for the first time the other day. Fun Star Trek movie, although I'm not familiar with the episodes that the Kahn character originated from.