• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Back to Saturn X E1: 1.1.6 bugfix

I hate deadlines. Oh well.

Looks like I wasn't trying to depict a small misalignment here:
http://i.imgur.com/UNMRsew.png

It was a case of forbidden love on HMP, but it wasn't apparent on the shot because I killed the participants already and didn't want to reload a savegame. I hoped I'd remember what exactly was wrong (yeah, right).

Took me a while to figure out what I was trying to depict here as well:
http://i.imgur.com/RnIrWtr.png

Apparently, the lower textures should be unpegged and/or aligned.

mason1729 said:

Not sure if this is major enough to warrant an update, but In map15, things 792, 794, 798, and 800 do not have Hard tags, resulting in such area actually having less Imps on UV than on HMP. Considering the Hell Knights (things 804, and 805) in the same area are on both HMP and UV, I'm guessing this might have been a mistake?

I'm too lazy to look at it right now. But there's a 50/50 chance that it was intentional or an error...so yea :P. It's probably not worth another bug fix release if its the latter.

Thinking back on it, considering all the other addtions on UV, this is definitely a very minor thing, and not worth worrying about.

Huh. I started playing BTSX for the very first time on February 19th. Imagine my confusion when I noticed the wiki page made mention of map 32 and all I had was good old Grosse. Good thing it includes a link to this topic.

esselfortium said:

• Explosive new final area added to MAP17: Navigating Flood Regions (also I overhauled its midi to be good instead of bad)

Would you believe that "bad" midi of yours was actually my favourite tune in BtSX? Admittedly, it did seem to end rather abruptly, and I reckoned you weren't too fond of it as it was missing from your Youtube playlist. I must admit I'm not sure yet if I like the new one better. I sometimes feel that all the added samples take away from the core of the tune. Less is more? I gotta admit that it did take me nearly two playthroughs of map 17 to realize I really enjoyed the original rendition. Cheers, mister Cyberdemon. Guess I should be thankful I failed at counting to three.

Replaying the map was fun, too. I recall thinking the difficulty didn't warrant changing that Soulsphere into a Megasphere. And then I was on fire.

I'd like to extend my thanks to all of the wonderful people involved in this project. I haven't enjoyed Doom this much since someone convinced me to give Valiant a shot. Thank you!

It finally got published into idgames. Feels like there was procrastination on that.

I previously expressed my slight issue with the soundtrack, which, while decent, did not really sound like Doom to me. However, I am currently playing BtSX with Samsara as Duke Nukem and somehow, the music fits much better!

Risen3D users ...

If playing from the idgames release, and want models and splash sounds, just rename btsx_e1a.wad to btsx_e1.wad.

I think I may have found a minor bug. Map 19 has three toweresque structures, each of which has an arachnotron on top. On easy difficulty, two of the towers will instead be populated by a small group of imps. However, the third tower (near the spider mastermind's initial position) will contain both a group of imps and an arachnotron, the latter of which has trouble moving around due to the tower now being awfully crowded. Something to add to the pile of nitpicks if there's ever going to be another bugfix release, I guess.

26 minutes ago, All Bogs said:

I think I may have found a minor bug. Map 19 has three toweresque structures, each of which has an arachnotron on top. On easy difficulty, two of the towers will instead be populated by a small group of imps. However, the third tower (near the spider mastermind's initial position) will contain both a group of imps and an arachnotron, the latter of which has trouble moving around due to the tower now being awfully crowded. Something to add to the pile of nitpicks if there's ever going to be another bugfix release, I guess.

Damn. Thanks for pointing that out.

This is perhaps my favorite mapset of all time. The combination of amazing textures, rich colors, music, and that mesmerizing sky box make this wad an incredible experience.

Hey, guys. Really sorry to bump this. This is my first time playing through this mapset  (yes, I actually waited till the final version for this was released). The maps so far are nothing short of amazing. There is, however, a bug I came across in map 20. I found the secret teleporter that takes you to the soulsphere first and carried on playing through the level normally. But once I discovered that I didn't kill all the monsters, I decided to teleport back to the starting area and got stuck in the teleporter which was not lowered for some reason. No idea why. Was playing in the latest zdoom version at the time of this writing.

8 hours ago, Firedust said:

[On map20] I decided to teleport back to the starting area and got stuck in the teleporter which was not lowered for some reason.

II have encountered this bug twice, both before and after fixing it was attempted. The teleporter at the start (sector 814) is meant to lower when you enter the teleporter in the hut at the north-east of the map (sector 739), the one which takes you to the second half. You will go through this whether you take the normal route or go via the secret soulsphere -- I don't believe it's possible to avoid completely.

In early BTSX_E1 beta releases it seemed several people managed to skip the linedef in front of sector 814 that triggers the lowering teleporter. In later betas, no less than five special lines are placed at various angles around the front of sector 814. Yet somehow it is still possible to skip all of them and find yourself stuck later. See this post by for example.

The chance of skipping so many linedefs should be so small as to all but eliminate the bug but it keeps happening to people no matter what engine they are using. I've even wondered if there's something else going on that is preventing the sector from moving when the lines are activated, like the engine considering it already "active" some other way, or a misapplied linedef somewhere else making the engine think the sector is adjacent to some other sector with a higher floor. But there is no evidence of such to be found. It is mystifying.

I've seen this bug on Dime's stream, but I dismissed it, because I couldn't replicate it. Well, you made me investigate some more and I found things I hate. The obvious solution is to have you and Dime killed and all traces removed, because holy shit what's this even.

Basically, the offending platform (sector 814) gets lowered when you enter the teleporter in the NE room. It's action 36 (W1 lower floor to 8 above highest floor) and Rott placed FIVE lines to do the job. Somehow, they get all taken out before the player enters if you perform a very obscure dance. I managed to replicate the bug in GZDoom, Eternity (with -vanilla) and prboom-plus complevel 11 by activating noclip, waking up the monsters in that room, then going into the void behind the teleporter and having them mull around a bit. Then I took them out and went through.

I absolutely could not replicate this behaviour in prboom-plus cl2, 3 or 9 and in chocolate. But then I triggered it in geezy with goddamn nomonsters on by firing the BFG in the teleroom! Fuck my life! Again, no luck at all trying to replicate in Boom-and-lower choices. Then I recorded a MBF nomo demo in prboom-plus cl11 showcasing the bug... and hexedited the header to vanilla. And now the bug gets triggered even in pr+ cl2 and choco. Still no luck replicating the bug directly in Boom-and-less.

Attaching a convenience edit of map20 and both the MBF and the vanilla edit demos recorded on it.

I admit defeat.

e1m20telebug_comesweetdeath.zip

Why do you even care? The 1.1.1 was already immortalized as the proper release (because a bunch of dudes decided to record a bunch of demos). Which means that despite the wad being in beta for several years, you can't update it anymore. Nuh-uh. You've had your chance!

Seriously though, if 5 goddamn lines can't prevent a horrible bug from happening, maybe the whole system should be redesigned in a safer way.

It's worse than that. I eventually managed to record a pr+ cl2 demo on the convenience edit map where I just casually run (no strafing) through the lines: http://www.mediafire.com/file/yzx3zuhseh4wka6/why.7z

Altaz tried to step it through a debugger, but couldn't figure out why the linedef traverse function isn't getting called. And Cato suggested it's perhaps because all those lines triggering the same effect on the same sector, but I don't understand why it wouldn't just ignore anything after the first action, like it should. Why, Carmack?

12 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

Reading that bug description makes me wonder if anyone on the btsx team has angered a witch recently.

You're kidding, but we've dealt with some other absurd inexplicable bugs before that could only really be explained by this.

While on the subject of bugs, I found some while playing the idgames release on ITYTD related to the one thing I love to point out, teleport destinations:

MAP05

Three demons were supposed to teleport behind me in sector 168, but their teleport destination (thing 47), isn't flagged for easy.

MAP10

Teleport destination 492 also isn't flagged on easy, so I miss an arch-vile and apparently a revenant too when I pick up the blue key (revenant is only flagged on easy, but occupies the same space as arch-vile which appears on all settings).

So yeah, update to this bug: anotak most likely solved the mystery. Lots of red herrings in this case, but in the end the teleporter was proven to be the murderer.

Apparently linedef specials triggered during the same tic get processed in an arbitrary, hard to predict order. And once a teleporter action gets processed, it also zeroes out the spechit counter, so the rest of the queue is ignored. The tilted side lines of this teleporter make it an insta-trigger, so one doesn't even need to travel half-hitbox-past the orthogonal tele line, further aggravating the mess here. Oh and pretty much everything from vanilla to geezy is affected. Thanks to everyone on CSI: Buttsex team!

Lesson for future generations: don't put special triggers right in front of a teleporter, the action might get eaten. Either increase the distance, or put the trigger on the other side where player's most likely to have no momentum.

22 minutes ago, dew said:

Lesson for future generations: don't put special triggers right in front of a teleporter, the action might get eaten. Either increase the distance, or put the trigger on the other side where player's most likely to have no momentum.

This is relevant to my interests. Assuming you're teleporting the player back to an area they've already been and cannot put the trigger on the other side, exactly how far does it have to be ahead of the teleport line to be safe? (nm, I think you answered this -- half the player's hitbox +1, say?)

Edited by Not Jabba

Psst: lines are tested in the order they appear in the blockmap block list

So maybe ZokumBSP should check if a line has a teleport special and if so, always put it at the end of the list... just saying @zokum

edit: oh wait after finding all the spechits it starts at the last one and works its way back down to the start... so you would want the teleport line to be the *first* one in the block list maybe?