Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sauerking

DOOM for the switch?

So as I'm guessing most to all of you know, Doom 64 is a thing, and as the name implies it was on the N64, personally I really enjoyed that game but sadly Doom never came back to Nintendo consoles ( I get those consoles cause Zelda, Metroid, and all that good stuff ) But wouldn't it be great if the new Doom came to the Nintendo Switch? I mean then you could take it anywhere ( Go me for bringing up the main selling point of the console besides "Hey guys new zelda" ) You guys think that the switch could actually handle and run Doom well?

There was also that SNES Doom console port, I think Nintendo Switch should be able to run Classic Doom, I mean it can handle much more than just that (eg : Zelda Breath of the Wild).

Edited by dmg_64

Classic Doom: Ya it could run it no problem.

New Doom: Maybe it could, but the game's settings would have to be reduced intensively.

Someone got Doom to run on the GPD Gamepad Win which has Intel Graphics. I would think the Switch could run it with some graphical adjustments.

21 minutes ago, MetroidJunkie said:

Someone got Doom to run on the GPD Gamepad Win which has Intel Graphics. I would think the Switch could run it with some graphical adjustments.

Eh, that looks pretty dire.

19 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Well I mean if the stats weren't there that would be amazing imo

The game's graphics would dramatically have to be increased to Breath of the Wild level; Not that BOTW looks bad, Doom 2016 would have to be at that graphics level, which would still look really good probably.

Obviously, the switch could run Doom with OpenGL/original graphics.

Also, Doom on the GPD Win looks pretty watered down in the graphical standpoint.

Isn't the switch equivalent to last generations android tablets under the hood? I couldn't imagine doom (2016) running on that in any acceptable way. Classic, sure. A new switch specific game? Maybe. But not 2016 without significant cuts.

i quite like the switch being "under powered" relative to PS4/xbone. The focus is on game innovation instead.

9 minutes ago, Jon said:

Isn't the switch equivalent to last generations android tablets under the hood?

It uses the Tegra X1, same as what's in the nVidia Shield Android TV, and Google's Pixel C tablet. Only differences are that the Switch has an extra gigabyte of RAM (4GB versus 3GB), and a downclocked processor (1.02GHz versus 1.3GHz-1.9GHz).

4 hours ago, Jon said:

i quite like the switch being "under powered" relative to PS4/xbone. The focus is on game innovation instead.

That's been Nintendo's line for every console post-SNES, and the only time they had a moderate success was with the GameCube. Honestly, it's just an excuse to be cheap on hardware and never having to take a loss on hardware sales (compare to Sony and Microsoft that have consistently sold their consoles so that the first year or two, each console is a net loss: they make it up with online service charges and licensing fees for games).

The Switch, however, is different. Unlike N64, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, it's no longer directly competing with PS4 and Xbox One. It is, basically, a mobile gaming device that happens to have a dock to plug it into the TV if you want to. So sure, it's weaker than those consoles, but you can't really take those consoles in hand anywhere you go. If any other tablet manufacturer had been serious about pushing forward their devices as gaming platforms, Nintendo probably wouldn't get very far, but they haven't, and Nintendo is taking the space for their own picking. Smart move, I think.

On being weaker than PS4 and Xbox One: as with past Nintendo console generations, this has been the primary reason Nintendo doesn't get many 3rd-party games. The hardware is just too weak to justify porting costs and the hardcore gaming market leaves the systems behind too. When they stuck to trying to compete with the big boys, it just killed all their attempts. With the Switch being focused on handheld gaming, maybe we'll see the effort made anyway? (I don't know, it'd be cool to have Witcher 3 or Doom 2016 on it, but both games would need massive cuts to fit)

TBH if the Nintendo Switch could play Doom AND PWADS (with jump, crotch and freelook options) , it'd easily tip the scale for me and I'd pick one up around Christmas when it goes down in price a little.

This is probably just a pipe dream.

I've never bothered to jailbreak/mod any consoles.

6 hours ago, chungy said:

That's been Nintendo's line for every console post-SNES, and the only time they had a moderate success was with the GameCube.

The N64 was designed and marketed as a powerhouse. They made a big noise about it being the only 64 bit console at the time.

6 hours ago, chungy said:

The Switch, however, is different. Unlike N64, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, it's no longer directly competing with PS4 and Xbox One

I don't think the Wii was directly comparable in raw performance terms with its contemporaries, the Xbox 360 and PS3. This isn't a new thing for the Switch.

21 hours ago, Linguica said:

It's a portable Windows 10 device the size of a Nintendo DS that has a very tightly packed Intel GPU that can barely run Fallout 3. Don't you think the fact that the game works at all is pretty impressive? Obviously, the Tegra X1 is sliiiightly stronger than that.

that gdp pad running doom is very impressive. I'm suprised it's getting constant 20-30 frames. there are certain spots I garuntee it will crash though, but if known about they can be avoided.

as for doom on the switch, I highly highly doubt new doom will make it on the switch, it's already down to 20 dollars most places. I could be wrong but it doesn't seem like it would make them a whole lot of money for porting it. For classic doom, id might do an official port, or when homebrew opens up like chungy said we'll definetly see a port then.

as for doom 64, it matters who all has the rights to it, as midway at the time had a hand in it, and midway no longer exists, it certainly makes things hard to guess where the game lies on our end. It would be cool to see though.

If they bring Doom on the Switch, that would be a selling point for me, but I wouldn't want to see one thing: Green demon blood!!!

I have the GBA version of Doom and it is kind of dumb, I think, to "censor" the blood, while leaving the demon sprites intact. I mean the point is killing demons, one way or another. It's not like in Carmageddon, where they swapped the innocent pedestrians with robots.

Also, my current pc (laptop) can't run Doom at all and the GPD runs it at 30 fps? I am really impressed, whatever its graphical settings may be.

I actually own a Nintendo Switch and it's pretty freaking fun. I was already considering getting a 3DS XL a few months ago, but I'm glad I waited. 

20 hours ago, everennui said:

TBH if the Nintendo Switch could play Doom AND PWADS (with jump, crotch and freelook options) , it'd easily tip the scale for me and I'd pick one up around Christmas when it goes down in price a little.

That would be awesome!! I could even see the joycons' motion controls being integrated with freelook somehow.

EDIT: We should all tweet to Nintendo of America and come up with some hashtag like #DoomOnSwitch. Come on, Nintendo...

14 hours ago, Jon said:

The N64 was designed and marketed as a powerhouse. They made a big noise about it being the only 64 bit console at the time.

Mini-CD tech aside, I was under the impression that the Gamecube was more powerful than the Playstation 2, even if not more powerful than the Xbox. AFAIK, the Wii was the first time Nintendo deliberately used hardware inferior to its contemporaries...on the bright side, Dolphin is the best emulator for its console generation(s).

17 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

If they bring Doom on the Switch, that would be a selling point for me, but I wouldn't want to see one thing: Green demon blood!!!

I have the GBA version of Doom and it is kind of dumb, I think, to "censor" the blood, while leaving the demon sprites intact. I mean the point is killing demons, one way or another.

That would be up to id, Nintendo no longer requires censorship of third party games. Since the Switch is considered a "main console" instead of just a handheld and probably has less of a "for kids" connotation, id probably won't have to worry that much about self censoring to get a T rating. The prospect of playing it on the go would certainly entice many people to get it.

Even though the chance is slim, if it does get on the Switch, would ID or Bethesda be making it? If it's classic doom, I would expect ID to port it over. If it was a whole new game, like Doom 4, then I would expect it to be done by Bethesda, because Bethesda made the Wolfenstein "reboot" games in 2014 and 2015; and Doom 2016, too.

i'm not quite seeing the market for Nu-Doom on the Switch. diehard fans would probably just get it on their PC instead, and more casual gamers on their BOne or PS4. it'd be cool to play it on the go, i guess, but i doubt i'd have the best experience in doing so.

On 3/28/2017 at 5:31 PM, MetroidJunkie said:

id probably won't have to worry that much about self censoring to get a T rating. The prospect of playing it on the go would certainly entice many people to get it.

Yeah, no censorship is always good!

On 3/26/2017 at 7:28 PM, MetroidJunkie said:

I'm curious as to how they did that. Is it even possible to get 70-80 GB of data on that gamepad? Other than that, the only real deal-breaker would be the graphics card's drivers not reporting to be compatible with the required version of OpenGL. As it's well-known, Intel drivers "cheat" by implementing a lot of stuff in software, so they trade CPU power for apparent compatibility. A honest e.g. mobile nVidia or AMD chipset from yesteryear, even if it will probably be tons more powerful than the Intel, won't work simply because of the drivers being too honest about the actual hardware's capabilities. Once one gets past it, it's just brute-forcing (or rather, bearing patience) with the CPU.

Well, id announced that they intend to get it onto the Switch. If they're smart, they'll slash at the polygon counts and texture quality, on a mobile device you don't really notice those things as much. As long as they don't overdo it.

16 minutes ago, MetroidJunkie said:

Well, id announced that they intend to get it onto the Switch. If they're smart, they'll slash at the polygon counts and texture quality, on a mobile device you don't really notice those things as much. As long as they don't overdo it.

I don't know if 3D games with complex meshes and animated models undergo such a treatment anymore, as doing a quality downsizing of the base assets would take a lot of time for something of the scale of Doom. It was one thing doing that at a time where the difference would have been between an ugly blob with 10 polygons for 8-bit computers and one with 20 for 16-bit ones, ah yeah, and maybe turning off the "shading" effects on solid polygons...

If anything, they tend to cut down on things like level size and locations, variety of enemies and textures etc. as the first priority would be to get the storage and RAM footprint down, for something like Doom that takes almost 80 GB installed in its full PC version. Also, available resolutions, refresh rate, 3D effects, AA etc. so if the target platform isn't at least theoretically capable of running a minimum-settings version of the full game from the same source codebase with the same assets (perhaps less of them, but essentially the same), I don't think they'd bother with a port at all.

Of course, I might be wrong and someone in the know could step in and correct me if that's the case.