Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_SloVinator

About to start a new job - need tips to overcome slight fear

I need some tips to overcome the constant thinking about the job. The thoughts I have about fear of fucking up, making co-workers disappointed, asking too much about things etc...

How were your experiences day one on your new jobs?

Thanks.

Edited by Soldier993

I've always had that same problem: when starting a new job (or starting college), I always lose sleep for a night or two before, constantly worry, etc., etc. None of my fears has ever been grounded, though.

Some thoughts: First, your employer wants to see you succeed almost as much as you want to succeed. Second, no one is a highly productive worker during the first couple weeks of their job -- in some industries it might take months. Your co-workers will realize this and give you time to get caught up to their pace. Third, don't be afraid to ask questions -- that will significantly reduce the period of time just described. If you are afraid that your question will come across as "noobish," just acknowledge that: "This might be a dumb question, but..."

Hopefully something in here helps.

Being nervous is good, it shows that you care, and it's fine to say so when you're being asked how you are.

There is no such thing as asking too many questions.

Communicate, be polite, eat well the very morning you start, and it'll all come together eventually.

Look at it from a different perspective and use your situation to your advantage. My experience of starting on any new job (or team) has been that there's always a learning period and it always takes time to get up to speed. Because you're new you basically have free rein to ask as many dumb questions as you want without being judged. Similarly if you fuck up it's likely that it'll be understood that it only occurred because you're new. Take the opportunity to ask any questions, no matter how dumb, and to learn from others. You'll find that it'll be a lot harder to do the same in 6 months from now without feeling embarrassed for asking.

Start doing push ups, drink coffee and stop masturbating ( if you do )... actually you'll probably get used to the job anyway lolz

The one thing I hate about starting a new job is the training period. Your new company is supposed to break you in the details of their business and system. I have yet to find the company that actually does this properly. Absolute bottom so far is a previous employer, who took two (2) months before assigning me to any team or project, leaving me to fend for myself.

3 minutes ago, Mordeth said:

The one thing I hate about starting a new job is the training period. Your new company is supposed to break you in the details of their business and system. I have yet to find the company that actually does this properly. Absolute bottom so far is a previous employer, who took two (2) months before assigning me to any team or project, leaving me to fend for myself.

I hate that feeling! Kinda happened to me at the job I have now... thank goodness that time is past!

I think my worst experience was when I was still in high school, working part-time on a local farm. The lady who owned the farm worked a day job, and she left the management to another employee. The two of them could never agree on anything, and I was always caught in the middle. She would tell me to do one thing, leave for work, and the manager would get me on something else. One or the other of them was always mad at me, no matter what I did. I was only 16! Fortunately, I quit before I was fired.

1 hour ago, Soldier993 said:

I have are about fear of fucking up, making co-workers disappointed, asking too much about things etc...

But you will fuck-up, you will disappoint people and you will ask too much about things. And all of this is normal. By trial and error you will learn to do better, there will be colleagues to ask things, and at the end the new job will be easy. You just have to be patient.

More or less like mapping for Doom.

I remember nothing of my first week of job. I was just out of university and started in this big company. I was introduced to something like 10 new persons everyday - I still have problems remembering the names of all of them, after 9 years.

Look for a person you jive with right off the bat, often another person who started there recently. I find that at any job there's always that someone who's immediately friendly and open, and who I hit it off with immediately. That's the person who you can go to with your dumb questions and not be judged, or who'll be understanding when you're having a rough time.

Realize that no one else there has any clue what they're doing.

Edit: Wrong thread 

Edited by Ed

If it's not your first job then you will know that starting a new job is tough but you get through it. Draw on that past to give you confidence that it will be ok. If you feel overwhelmed in any way, tell somebody. And don't worry if there's information overload on the first day/week. You're not expected to remember everything straight away, or everybody's names for that matter.

On 30/3/2017 at 4:53 PM, Soldier993 said:

I need some tips to overcome the constant thinking about the job. The thoughts I have about fear of fucking up, making co-workers disappointed, asking too much about things etc...

How were your experiences day one on your new jobs?

Thanks.

Just one tip, take a real notepad, that means made of paper, and a pen. Take note of everything they say it is important, later if you don't remember, instead of having to ask for it, you can read for your notepad.

If you make mistake, you are still learning. Let's say that the first 3 months are the learning and adaptation period.

3 hours ago, Angry Saint said:

Well, @Soldier993, how has been starting your new job?

Great, so far. Learning it slowly. :) Hopefully, there won't be anything that will stress me out too much to change my mood & keep thinking of quitting like last job.

2 hours ago, Wild Dog said:

Just one tip, take a real notepad, that means made of paper, and a pen. Take note of everything they say it is important, later if you don't remember, instead of having to ask for it, you can read for your notepad.

If you make mistake, you are still learning. Let's say that the first 3 months are the learning and adaptation period.

Oh damn, I could do that actually, now that you mentioned it.