Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VeinCrawler

[BETA RELEASE] Snack Sized 6 lvl mini mapset

Hi all,
I'm working on a mini mapset that contains 6 maps, all revolving around a certain specific idea I had. The maps are relatively small and "snack sized" (hence its name). I won't say the ideas are particularly original for the community, but they are for me :).

DOWNLOAD THE BETA HERE: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-PPJDxIdFxISG9WY3lOUFVOSTA

Specs:
Engine: Limit removing

Tested with: ZDoom only

No difficulty settings implemented, UV only

For: Doom2

There are some bugs still on my list, sky textures to make/add, and maybe some balancing to do. And I need to figure out who to credit for the textures/flats/sprites.

01: Fists of Fury
A Tyson-style map, with no weapons, and only a berserk pack. Set in a sewer theme.

snckszd1-1.jpg.013330705c3dcf181257b67945414cd9.jpgsnckszd1-2.jpg.99b0673845426abd40c2f67272677ad7.jpgsnckszd1-3.jpg.9d3d3d17532f06838090df9f39f8a342.jpg

02: Leap of Faith
A set of small, but very high "islands". After finishing an island, the player jumps into nothingness, onto the next island.

snckszd2-1.jpg.a86a671c1bb7fa1bd18c89d6ce6fdecc.jpgsnckszd2-2.jpg.8078e734b72d203ae3f42b06a73b6ba8.jpgsnckszd2-3.jpg.8ecacf7cb2279ad8010f815a44d35db0.jpg

03: Marauding Mario
A circular arena map and a platform map in one.

snckszd4-1.jpg.4631d2063ce87cbcc9fd09c4109ea00a.jpgsnckszd4-2.jpg.6db53b169b9036cf5a8cd36f97b26224.jpg

04: Get Psyched
Giving Doom2's stock Wolfenstein 3D textures a shot in a map following Wolf3D's E1M1 floor plan and theme.

snckszd5-1.jpg.ea30e039e88954d1eb1bc474fbe3c06e.jpgsnckszd5-2.jpg.489fe92b08515a5d7f1be72e98446693.jpgsnckszd5-3.jpg.bc53ef979a8e506594a60971cacbb64f.jpg

05: Evil Pizza of Death
Inspired by a Quattro Stagioni pizza, I'm trying my hand at 4 totally different stock texture styles in one map.

snckszd3-2.jpg.9cf48e1ea1bb580f70ccc198459b9c11.jpgsnckszd3-1.jpg.db1140c5c5aec30236ecfcb64de88f60.jpgsnckszd3-3.jpg.15212361b9700fb3fc121ee28ea48637.jpg

06: Cacophony
An arena with a Teleportation line grid, filled with Cacodemons, which will fly all over the place. Might by cool, might by wildly annoying. Running around with guns ablazin' will be the only working strategy.

snckszd6-1.jpg.abdc2ee01302275fcd496ff0eafaf204.jpgsnckszd6-2.jpg.8cc61e13726dcd6888a5fe8dd8490f9a.jpg

07: The Waste Lands (status: 10%)
An "open world" desert-styled map, loosely inspired by Stephen King's Dark Tower series (books 1 and 3), so with post-apocalyptic influences and a waystation. I'm not comfortable building such large, open maps, so I might not get this off the ground. But in my head, it has potential :).

08: <nameless> (status: planning on paper)
Something with a 64x64 grid floor plan only. There has been a Community project around this idea, which I missed, but I had a cool idea for it anyway :)

And some 2 or 3 ideas that eare still too vague to start on. I might just release the set with the above 8 maps.

Thanks to:

For now textures &things creds go to the people behind the Community Chest and Skillsaw.

Edited by VeinCrawler : Now in Beta

nice work with the lighting :)

looks fun!

3 hours ago, VeinCrawler said:

02: Leap of Faith (status: Done)

A set of small, but very high "islands". After finishing an island, the player jumps into nothingness, onto the next island.

snckszd2-1.jpg.a86a671c1bb7fa1bd18c89d6ce6fdecc.jpgsnckszd2-2.jpg.8078e734b72d203ae3f42b06a73b6ba8.jpgsnckszd2-3.jpg.8ecacf7cb2279ad8010f815a44d35db0.jpg

Oh man -- I had this exact same idea, but it looks like you beat me to it. Your version looks amazing!

Screenshots look very nice, stock textures being used cleverly are always a nice touch. Also mapsets that contain small maps are always treat.

On 3/31/2017 at 2:16 PM, Ryathaen said:

Oh man -- I had this exact same idea, but it looks like you beat me to it. Your version looks amazing!

Yeah well, this was quite a challenge, actually. having only open areas and no ceilings but the sky (except on the first island). It turned out OK, but looking at it now, the islands are a tad small... But I'm looking forward to your opinion, once I've thrown something more or less releaseable together.

Thanks all. I will finish it... soon! I'm now just wondering when. I have one unfinished map I want in - Evil Pizza of Death - and 3 ideas with potential, that I might skip.

Because I got quite a few nice replies to the initial screenshots, and none to the beta release, I'm thinking Monday morning is not the best time to release things... So I'm shamelessly bumbing this topic (sorry if that's against regulations).

So @bioshockfan90, @Memfis, @Ryathaen, @Voltcom9, @Walter confetti and all others:

Beta's out! Download it here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-PPJDxIdFxISG9WY3lOUFVOSTA

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

On 3/31/2017 at 4:43 AM, VeinCrawler said:

Specs:
Engine: Limit removing

Tested with: ZDoom only

No difficulty settings implemented, UV only

For: Doom2

The engine should say 'ZDoom only' as well, because I'm getting some R_InitTexture errors in prBoom+, six to be exact. Testing is one thing, but if you haven't even opened it in a less advanced port, you definitely shouldn't call it limit removing. :) 

10 hours ago, rdwpa said:

The engine should say 'ZDoom only' as well, because I'm getting some R_InitTexture errors in prBoom+, six to be exact. Testing is one thing, but if you haven't even opened it in a less advanced port, you definitely shouldn't call it limit removing. :) 

I'm having the same problem.  This is disappointing because the maps look good and I don't have zdoom on my computer at the moment.  Also, I want to record FDAs.  I will play these for sure if the error gets fixed.

12 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Yeah, i've got the same problem too on MAP01 and playing it with prboom 2.5.0 and i was going to post about it last night,but it was really late.If i recall correctly the bug is about 6 floors that uses FIREMAG1 as textures, if the author changes them to ordinary floors it will work fine... i didn't test them on the other maps, so i'm not sure about other similar issues in other levels...

5 hours ago, DaIcemann76 said:

I found a missing texture on MAP02.

Check, fixed, thx.

15 hours ago, rdwpa said:

because I'm getting some R_InitTexture errors in prBoom+

4 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

I'm having the same problem

3 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

is about 6 floors that uses FIREMAG1 as textures

Fixed in the new version. I installed PrBoom+ and it opens/plays with it as it should. It was indeed a FIREMAG artefact, thx Walter, which I fixed in XWE.

Please continue playing and testing! :)

Played through it. Gameplay is really not my cup of tea at all, but the maps are very well crafted and are done so in a way that isn't really typical of recent tropes, so good work on that front, and I'll -nomo through these maps again for another look at the visuals.

In map06, the cacodemons never teleport in prBoom+ -complevel 2. You only face one caco and two viles through the whole level. Not sure if that's related to them having too little space or what, but monsters need slightly less space to move in ZDoom and can sometimes move there even when they are stuck in classic ports. Even in ZDoom though, the map is trivializable (and in a way that feels like breaking it) by simply not ever shooting your weapon, because then the cacos don't warp in. 

Edited by rdwpa

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

Even in ZDoom though, the map is trivializable (and in a way that feels like breaking it) by simply not ever shooting your weapon, because then the cacos don't warp in. 

Yeah I kinda forgot why I turned the cacos around so dont see you. Was struggling with the gameplay on that one. But ill have a look at the space they have in prboom. This might be a problem in teleport traps in other maps as well... 

And of course its no prob the gameplay is not your thing - the whole mapset is an experiment - but still im wondering why :).

It's not really an 'objective' flaw of the mapset, which is why I'll emphasize that it's a cup of tea thing. It's mostly that single shotgun and chaingun combat as a primary weapon, especially with mid-tier monsters thrown in, isn't my thing. I like those weapons against lots of fodder monsters, or to complement heavier weapons in clean-up, or in a pure evasion context against meatier monsters -- but not as the main weapon to fight a variety of monsters over the course of a level. 

Edited by rdwpa

Wow! This maps are awesome! Short and sweet, very beautifully detailed with textures and lighting, maybe a little on the difficult side but I'm just a casual player. Looking forward to the final release! I hear no music though after the initial title, is that intended?

fda demos in prboom plus complevel 9 with saves.  I try to do these in case they benefit the mapper; they are basically free data, and if i'm playing, why not save a demo at the same time?  I'm not the most interesting player to watch though.

On the few maps my mouse was malfunctioning, so I played keyboardish.  but i also accidently deleted them and had to recover them, so some of the demos might be jumbled too.  I didn't double check them so hopefully they work.

BUGS:

-inescapable nondamaging pit in map05.  DNF, see demo

-i think I saw a HOM in map01.

-prboom-plus cannot handle the extreme height of map02, visually.  I wouldn't bother fixing this one and it's just visual.

I think map05 will be the most liked by "the community", because it adheres better to standard doom gameplay, and is also the most forgiving in terms of health.  It's easy to get lost, which could have been remedied by keycards perhaps, but I'm in the minority of people who don't mind slowing down and looking for stuff anyways.  I also thought it was the funnest map of the set, but also the least gimmicky and memorable.  Map02 was my favorite, despite me sounding like i'm contradicting myself.  The maps all had a cool style that I appreciated, at least from an artsy, exploration based perspective.

I also really loved the map-names drawn out on the automap in lines.

Also, you could benefit from non-iwad music imo.

10 hours ago, PRIMEVAL said:

maybe a little on the difficult side but I'm just a casual player

Yeah. I think they are a bit too difficult as well. I'm hardly able to finish them myself without cheating. I'm thinking my next project will be less monsters, more atmosphere.

9 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

BUGS:

Thx! I'll have a look at the demos to check out the bugs if I have the chance. Thanks for recording, much appreciated!

9 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

I think map05 will be the most liked by "the community"

Indeed maybe not totally original, but I'd always steered away from hellish and marble themes, playing save with the dull tech base theme. So this map was especially new for me. And I'm super happy with its tacky name :D. It did turn out not really being snack sized, this one.

About the music: If all's well, the default midis will play. I haven't tinkered with this at all. I might try this sometimes in the future, but not for this wad, and since (composing) music is not really my thing, I might never. If no music is played at all, that'd be a bug.

8 hours ago, VeinCrawler said:

About the music: If all's well, the default midis will play. I haven't tinkered with this at all. I might try this sometimes in the future, but not for this wad, and since (composing) music is not really my thing, I might never. If no music is played at all, that'd be a bug.

Huh, I wonder why it doesn't play for me. I used the latest official gzdoom to play. 

If need be, perhaps I can help out with some original tunes?